Inheritance Tax/Care Home Fees/Depravation Assets

Options

Comments

• SpideressUK
    SpideressUK Posts: 198 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Actually yes, the more I think about it the crosser I'm getting. He's not renting a bigger house at the moment and there's no way she's costing him £800 pm so there is no justification to take that amount from her. He is using her.

There is always the option of housing with care she could look into. That is renting, so there will be a cost implication, but it's a step up from warden controlled in terms of the support on offer. The number of care visits would be assessed and may well be the 4 a day as before. The positives are that there are communal lunches people can buy if they wish, more company/activities, help if there is an emergency in between calls but people have their own flats so can cook if they wish.
    The local authority would have more information. However under the Care Act assessments depend on where mum is "ordinarily resident" and as she's been away from home for so long there may be a bit of a debate about where home now is. But she is still entitled to an assessment regardless. That's where your 4 a day visits would have come from initially.

Thanks. I will look into "housing with care "
    After 30 years of mortgage paying we are blessed to say we are MORTGAGE FREE 11 years early :)
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The housing with care sounds like a good plan. It sounds like if she bought a flat of her own near you she'd be round at yours all day anyway, as her own flat doesn't address the loneliness/loving the grandkids part.

Genuine question - what do the 'further down the line when I cannot look after her/ has to go in a home' type comments mean? Where do people draw the line? What's 'too much' to cope with at home?
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • SpideressUK
    Options
    The housing with care sounds like a good plan. It sounds like if she bought a flat of her own near you she'd be round at yours all day anyway, as her own flat doesn't address the loneliness/loving the grandkids part.

Genuine question - what do the 'further down the line when I cannot look after her/ has to go in a home' type comments mean? Where do people draw the line? What's 'too much' to cope with at home?

For us it would be if she became violent. First we have to protect our young children. If it were just us I'd cope with violence as long as I could. That would really be the only thing. We could manage hoists and the like.
    After 30 years of mortgage paying we are blessed to say we are MORTGAGE FREE 11 years early :)
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just as a rough guide, my elderly dementia FiL (deceased recently & I've been through every inch of his income/expenditure), lived in a 3 bedroom house on his own for 14 months since MiL died.

Every bill you can possibly ever think of including nearly £500pm for homecare visits that had to start, absolutely everything (even Sky sport, dentures & toenail cutting) accounted for EXCEPT food, averaged out at £1093 pm the 14 month period.

There is no way your mum is costing £800 to live with your brother, perhaps he feels he can charge her more because SiL is providing a level of 'care'? An LA aren't going to see it like that.

My BiL burned through a further £12k of the old guy's money when all he actually had to pay for was his food. I suppose it was fortuitous that FiL died just as it became increasingly obvious he need a care home, because BiL would have had some questions to answer as soon as LA looked at the bank statements.

TBH SpideressUK we'd been a little like you, a bit 'head in sand' as things chugged along with BiL 'in charge', fooled by the 'devoted son' act.

Also, you should chat with the estate agent before knocking yourself out on the decorating. We cleared 65 years of personal possessions, left all the tatty, knackered old furnishings (including stair lift), didn't decorate or clean a single room, massive garden full of junk, just as the estate agent instructed us to.

House sold 'as is', got an offer of our asking price within 1 day of it going on the market, & two more the day after that.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • SpideressUK
    Options
    Just as a rough guide, my elderly dementia FiL (deceased recently & I've been through every inch of his income/expenditure), lived in a 3 bedroom house on his own for 14 months since MiL died.

Every bill you can possibly ever think of including nearly £500pm for homecare visits that had to start, absolutely everything (even Sky sport, dentures & toenail cutting) accounted for EXCEPT food, averaged out at £1093 pm the 14 month period.

There is no way your mum is costing £800 to live with your brother, perhaps he feels he can charge her more because SiL is providing a level of 'care'? An LA aren't going to see it like that.

My BiL burned through a further £12k of the old guy's money when all he actually had to pay for was his food. I suppose it was fortuitous that FiL died just as it became increasingly obvious he need a care home, because BiL would have had some questions to answer as soon as LA looked at the bank statements.

TBH SpideressUK we'd been a little like you, a bit 'head in sand' as things chugged along with BiL 'in charge', fooled by the 'devoted son' act.

Also, you should chat with the estate agent before knocking yourself out on the decorating. We cleared 65 years of personal possessions, left all the tatty, knackered old furnishings (including stair lift), didn't decorate or clean a single room, massive garden full of junk, just as the estate agent instructed us to.

House sold 'as is', got an offer of our asking price within 1 day of it going on the market, & two more the day after that.

Thanks, that's great info. I already painted the kitchen and I did hall/stairs/landing last night (inspite of my paint roller breaking and an emergency dash to the corner shop!). I know it's likely all the plaster will be knocked off but at least I know I left our family home "clean". Im the kind of woman who strips all the bedding and folds it after a hotel stay and piles all the plates up after a restaurant meal :-) I don't want strangers thinking my parents were "dirty" - they were just infirm/elderly and my mum was SUCH a hoarder! I want my parents thought of as the incredible lovely people they are (or were in my dad's case) hard working, self sacrificing and born again Christians who have provided the strong foundation of my life.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where do people draw the line?
    Common issue with elderly people/dimensia are

wandering off on their own (if able)
    accidentally setting things on fire

losing things - could be cash or expensive hearings
    blaming other e.g. accusing other of stealing cash
    losing keys

all of those things could have a serious impact on others

It was "easy" for us a all of us work or look after small children.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    plus the refusal to go to the toilet even though the need was obvious and then there are the inappropriate sexual comments & this is not restricted to men.

However there may never be any signs of dementia. I've known a couple of people who showed no signs (incl my mother) until a couple of weeks stay in hospital.

Topping up her income with the £20/30k would hardly pay for the care home fees for 2 years. Also as she would have savings from the balance of the home plus whatever savings she made from her income less any additional costs, so that would be a couple of years before any assessment was required. If you are self funding your financial affairs are no-one else's business. To be absolutely brutal here - few people last over 3 years in a care home.
  • SpideressUK
    Options
    It has been decided mum cannot stay long term with my brother and his wife/family not even if they got a "granny flat" type thing rented on a bigger place so she is coming back up north just as soon as we can get the house sold. I am trying to find her a place near me - there is a perfect place for sale right now - £60K 75% shared ownership all ground floor, 2 bedroom, walk in shower etc and less than a mile from me...............if we can get a sale through quickly and get that for her then that will be ideal as I can meet a lot of her care needs myself and no DOA issues, at least not in that area anyway. I just hope it can all be done otherwise we are facing a house extn granny flat type thing and potential DOA ourselves.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    It has been decided mum cannot stay long term with my brother and his wife/family not even if they got a "granny flat" type thing rented on a bigger place so she is coming back up north just as soon as we can get the house sold. I am trying to find her a place near me - there is a perfect place for sale right now - £60K 75% shared ownership all ground floor, 2 bedroom, walk in shower etc and less than a mile from me...............if we can get a sale through quickly and get that for her then that will be ideal as I can meet a lot of her care needs myself and no DOA issues, at least not in that area anyway. I just hope it can all be done otherwise we are facing a house extn granny flat type thing and potential DOA ourselves.

It's really good that there has at last been a decision and you can look forward, without all these ifs and buts, maybes and indecision.

Walk-in shower is great. You can actually get them including a seat, which is what we have (although neither of us has needed to sit down to shower - not yet, anyway). If there isn't room for a seat fixed in, occupational health can supply things like a plastic chair to go in there.

Poor mum will be able to have her own income back again rather than giving it all to her son.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • SpideressUK
    Options
    It's really good that there has at last been a decision and you can look forward, without all these ifs and buts, maybes and indecision.

Walk-in shower is great. You can actually get them including a seat, which is what we have (although neither of us has needed to sit down to shower - not yet, anyway). If there isn't room for a seat fixed in, occupational health can supply things like a plastic chair to go in there.

Poor mum will be able to have her own income back again rather than giving it all to her son.

Yes, I just hope that somehow we can reserve this flat for her so she does not lose it whilst waiting for her house to sell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure