PPI and deceased

Options
Hi. Wondering if any one been in similar situation as this...

My husband died in 2010, leaving debt. The debt that he had was taken out during a former marriage however, he tried to keep up with repayments. Some of the debt had been handed to debt recovery agencies before he and I had met.

After my husband died, I informed the various agencies, providing copies of death certificate and, his debt was eventually written off.

I've never given any thought about the debt again, until recently, when Barclaycard contacted me, saying they believed that my late husband may be entitled to PPI refund. I completed and returned their paperwork and, lo and behold, a refund is due. Its not alot but, it will pay for my first grandchild's pram.....grandchild due on, would you believe, my late husband's birthday!

I've been clearing out "old" paperwork tonight and came across three lots of correspondence relating to my late husband's debt. Two are from 1) Fenton Cooper, for a minimal amount 2) Link Financial, demanding quite a hefty sum but, neither state where the debt originated from. The other is from Mint Financial services, for quite a large sum and, it appears that the debt originated from RBS Card Services.

Because my husband's debt was taken out several years before I met him, I don't have any of the original financial agreements that he may have signed. And, as I said earlier, I don't even know what some of the debt was for!

I'm now wondering if there's a possibility that I could trace where the debt originally came from and, if I can trace it, can I find out if there would be PPI or unfair charges to claim? Can I make a claim from RBS Card Services, even though I don't have any original paper work?

I'm aware of the time lapse too.....I dont know when my husband first took on the debt; he died in 2010 and, here we are in 2018!

Any advice, guidance or the sharing of similar stories would be gratefully welcomed !!!9786;

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February 2018 at 4:00AM
    Options
    tigerk1uk wrote: »
    My husband died in 2010, leaving debt. The debt that he had was taken out during a former marriage however, he tried to keep up with repayments. Some of the debt had been handed to debt recovery agencies before he and I had met.
    As his executor, you can indeed complain on his behalf about mis-sold PPI. However you must realise two things before you start:

You are limited to only factual complaint reasons, so you cannot make any unsubstantiated accusations about what he may or may not have been told at point-of-sale for example.

Even if a complaint is successful, any redress is likely to be offset against the unpaid debt which your late husband was in arrears with or defaulted on.

In addition, it's unlikely lenders will still have records of your husband's finance eight years after his death and this will further complicate any complaint you might make unless you can provide very comprehensive documentary evidence from his own archive.

Your recent success with Barclaycard was likely not a PPI mis-selling complaint, but a Plevin refund of undisclosed commission
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure