Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DROnestrike
    • By DROnestrike 9th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DROnestrike
    DRO queries, one possibly silly one
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    DRO queries, one possibly silly one 9th Feb 18 at 2:54 PM
    Hi guys, iíve started the process of applying for a DRO and am waiting to hear from CAB. They say i should recieve an appointment with one of their intermediaries next week, probably for the following week.

Ideally I would like to pay for and submit the DRO form the same day as that appointment. The CAB have already seen evidence of my income, major debts (save one credit card, they havenít pursued me for a while but I rang today and requested that they send me a balance of what I owe, which they agreed to do) and I have gained a copy of my Experian credit report. Is it feasible that I will be able to do this? Is there anything more I can do to make this more likely? I am keen for a speedy resolution as Bailiffs are pursuing me.

Related but possibly silly question: do I have to declare and find evidence for library fines and other petty debts? I owe the library a small amount and also £13 to a high street opticians for contact lenses - a standing order that bounced. I have no problem getting the evidence for these if it will facilitate the DRO process lol.

Thanks a lot everyone! I know I sound stupid but Iím just so stressed haha. Iím sure everyone here understands
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    Hi DROnestrike and welcome to the forum

I'm not aware of the CAB's specific DRO procedure, you will need to contact them directly about that. What type of bailiffs are you dealing with? In the vast majority of cases they can't force entry unless they have already been inside to list your goods. Keep your doors locked and car hidden (if you have one) until the DRO has been made.

You do need to include all debts in your DRO so it's best to find out the details of those little ones before your appointment with the CAB. That will also help speed up the process. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • DROnestrike
    • By DROnestrike 9th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DROnestrike
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    Thanks Suzie

Iím well aware of the bailiffís limited powers, if it was just me they could hang around outside all day and it wouldnít phase me at all. Iím just concerned about the stress it could cause others in the household.

Thank you for the advice about the library fines and the contact lenses. Iíve just got hold of some screenshots for both of them and Iíll be printing those out and adding them to my folder of evidence for the intermediary haha. Iíll try and think if i have any more little debts i might have forgotten about.
    • DROnestrike
    • By DROnestrike 9th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DROnestrike
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    Susie* sorry about that!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 12,247 Posts
    • 9,281 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    Hi guys, i!!!8217;ve started the process of applying for a DRO and am waiting to hear from CAB. They say i should recieve an appointment with one of their intermediaries next week, probably for the following week.

Ideally I would like to pay for and submit the DRO form the same day as that appointment. The CAB have already seen evidence of my income, major debts (save one credit card, they haven!!!8217;t pursued me for a while but I rang today and requested that they send me a balance of what I owe, which they agreed to do) and I have gained a copy of my Experian credit report. Is it feasible that I will be able to do this? Is there anything more I can do to make this more likely? I am keen for a speedy resolution as Bailiffs are pursuing me.

Related but possibly silly question: do I have to declare and find evidence for library fines and other petty debts? I owe the library a small amount and also £13 to a high street opticians for contact lenses - a standing order that bounced. I have no problem getting the evidence for these if it will facilitate the DRO process lol.

Thanks a lot everyone! I know I sound stupid but I!!!8217;m just so stressed haha. I!!!8217;m sure everyone here understands
    Originally posted by DROnestrike
    Answering in reverse, it's helpful to have evidence of the debts, not least because if you can find a bill, it will have a reference number on it. But at the end of the day if you told me you had a debt of £x to Creditor Y, I would enter it on the application. I'm an intermediary for CAB, by the way.

As for a quick application, the things that slow us down are waiting for the credit report(s) and waiting for the client to pay £90. If you are with the intermediary and ready to pay the £90 you can ask them to generate the payment letter straight away. Provided they are sitting at a computer it will take them two minutes. You can then make payment at a Post Office.

If you also rocked up with a current Experian report there would be no theoretical reason why an application could not be made there and then.

However... your intermediary will probably be subject to regular review and reviewers tend to criticise quick applications. The reviewers may be encouraging further exploration and multiple credit searches. You know and I know that this is likely to be unproductive but please be understanding if the adviser says he/she cannot submit an application there and then.

...and let us know what happens.
    • DROnestrike
    • By DROnestrike 10th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DROnestrike
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    Thank you fatbelly, thats very encouraging.

My experian report has actually updated since yesterday and is now showing the credit card debt that wasnít there previously. If I print the new report off immediately prior to the appointment and bring that in alongside the one I obtained yesterday, could that satisfy the review policy? I will also obtain copies of my reports from other agencies if you think that could help as well.

I do understand that if the intermediary is liable to be criticised for a speedy application then they might be reluctant to work as quickly as I would like. I will try and get as much evidence as I can and hope that this will be enough to allow them to satisfy the review and let me pay quickly. If they still canít I guess iíll just have to wait!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 12,247 Posts
    • 9,281 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    I can't say whether that would satisfy the review policy. Some reviewers believe there is merit in getting Equifax and Callcredit reports even though the DRO Unit do not require this.

The adviser may be OK with it though. If Bailiffs are active then I'd say that it is in the client's best interest to act quickly. But that's me.
    • DROnestrike
    • By DROnestrike 16th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DROnestrike
    • 16th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    Hi guys just an update:

My appointmen with the CAB intermediary is on Thursday.

I have obtained access to my callcredit report but equifax are saying they can!!!8217;t verify my identity. I have tried to verify with them and they are saying my name is different on their system than it is on my drivers license.

Anyway I dont know what happened there but clearly getting access to my equifax report in time for thursday might not be feasible.

I!!!8217;ve also had my first visit from the bailiffs today, although I didn!!!8217;t actually notice and only know because of the letter saying they had been with the charges for attending.

Anyway naturally im anxious to get this resolved on thursday and hopefully the two reports i have will be sufficient. Fingers crossed and thanks for all the help so far.
    • ToxtethO'Grady
    • By ToxtethO'Grady 19th Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    ToxtethO'Grady
    • 19th Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    Who has appointed the bailiffs? What debt is it for?

Just checking as some debts are not included in a DRO or BR
    • DROnestrike
    • By DROnestrike 21st Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DROnestrike
    I don't want to go into too much detail cause it might make me more identifiable (paranoid I know lol) but its not a magistrates court fine, if that's what you were thinking, its a CCJ.
    • DROnestrike
    • By DROnestrike 22nd Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DROnestrike
    Hi guys, had my appointment this morning, got the barcode generated, paid the fee, and submitted it. Just waiting to get confirmation that its been approved. The intermediary said that because I had two reports and I'd been so diligent getting everything together, she could do it today.

Thanks for all the help here guys, and a big recommendation to go to your local CAB if you're considering a DRO or need any other debt advice. they are fantastic people.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 22nd Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 12,247 Posts
    • 9,281 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Hi guys, had my appointment this morning, got the barcode generated, paid the fee, and submitted it. Just waiting to get confirmation that its been approved. The intermediary said that because I had two reports and I'd been so diligent getting everything together, she could do it today.
    Sounds like you got a good one!
    • biggysmaller
    • By biggysmaller 1st Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    biggysmaller
    Agree with this.
    Don't believe what you see on TV's scaremongering bailiffs shows.
    They really do have very limited powers and cannot force entry past you. There are some real numpties on these shows who let the baliffs into their properties without batting an eyelid.
    The CAB are very very good indeed with DRO and will more or less do everything for you to set up you DRO.
    • biggysmaller
    • By biggysmaller 1st Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    biggysmaller

Thanks for all the help here guys, and a big recommendation to go to your local CAB if you're considering a DRO or need any other debt advice. they are fantastic people.
    The CAB was brilliant for my DRO - They filled in all the forms and took away the stress of making any errors. I bet you feel such a relief now the DRO is in place.

The next best thing to do is download their template to send to creditors to inform them you have entered into a DRO - They should not bother you again. 95% of my creditors completely wiped out my debts as soon as the DRO was in place because they had no real prospect of retrieving any money.
    Last edited by biggysmaller; 01-03-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin