Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MXW
    • By MXW 1st Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 508Posts
    • 228Thanks
    MXW
    Help! Advice desperately needed!
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    Help! Advice desperately needed! 1st Feb 18 at 5:09 PM
    Hello everyone,

I hope someone can give me some advice, I'm near to tears and don't know what to do or think.

I live with my teenage son, and my eldest son is at uni so is only home in the holidays. Every 6 months I get my water bill and it is going up and up! I don't skimp with water, but I'm certainly not extravagant and am mindful of what I use.

When I got my bill 6 months ago, it had gone up again and my direct debit was put up to 47 per month. I rang Severn Trent about this and they asked me to take a meter reading, I tried on several occasions but the viewing window was dirty and full of condensation.

I insisted that someone came out to read the meter, which they did. The water was turned off, a reading was taken and then turned on again. He told me there was no leak as there was no leak as there was movement on the meter (not even a dripping tap). He wasn't here for very long, and then left.

I have just got my bill today and it's 621.13 for a 6 month period! And my direct debit has gone up to 105.24 per month!

I rang Severn Trent who are sending someone out on 12th February to do a water flow check and they have put a freeze on my account.

I don't know what to think! What if they come out again and say there is no leak? What do I do? I asked if the meter was at fault and he said no. Do they mean there's no leak from their side, or mine too....or is there no leak from their side, but there could be a leak from mine?

If my pipes are leaking underground and they have to be dug up, is this covered on the insurance. I haven't got this kind of money!

I apologise for rambling and probably getting ahead of myself, but I'm just in a panic! In 6 months my water consumption has gone up 105%!

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thank you in advance.
    Michelle
Page 1
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 1st Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    Can you not just back on the set rather than metered? Other thing is do you have an outside tap?
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd -> target 11 st 7lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • MXW
    • By MXW 1st Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 1st Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    Can you not just back on the set rather than metered? Other thing is do you have an outside tap?
    Originally posted by dawyldthing
    I have to have a meter, I bought the house from new and it had the meter installed. I have a tap in the garage.
    • macman
    • By macman 2nd Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 41,894 Posts
    • 17,379 Thanks
    macman
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    Post your actual usage in cu m from the bill, with dates. 's tell us nothing.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 2nd Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 3,025 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    How long have you been in this 'New' house and has there been any building work around you ?

It's not unkown for a W/meter to be supplying more than one property
    • MXW
    • By MXW 2nd Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    Post your actual usage in cu m from the bill, with dates. 's tell us nothing.
    Originally posted by macman
    I'm at work at the moment (on lunch), will post them later when I am home.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 2nd Feb 18, 12:46 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:46 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:46 PM
    How long have you been in this 'New' house and has there been any building work around you ?

It's not unkown for a W/meter to be supplying more than one property
    Originally posted by dogshome
    The house was built in 1991 and I have been in it from new. The last few bills I had have increased by 5-9%, I have contacted Severn Trent on several occasions, but they told me that my usage was average.

When my last direct debit increased to 47 per month, I asked for a water flow check ( I couldn't read the meter because it was scratched and there was condensation on it). When the guy came out he assured me that there were no leaks. I said I had been worried that there was a leak underground, and under my drive....he said that there would be evidence of the leak if that was the case. My drive is block paved so I assume he meant that the blocks would look darker because of the damp, he also said the grass at the side of the drive would be wet/damp.

I have contacted my insurance company for some information about my policy and have been told that if there is a leak, if it's in the house I'm covered, if it's outside then I'm not!

A work colleague mentioned that if it was a leak (using more than double my normal water), then the water pressure would go down and it hasn't.

I'm going to ring Severn Trent up later and try and get an earlier appointment if possible... I just need to know what the situation is.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 2nd Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    Also...if I have been proactive in trying to establish a leak and have been told there isn't one, surely they would be liable for the amount of debt outstanding because my direct debit hasn't covered it?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 2nd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 27,340 Posts
    • 13,383 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    He told me there was no leak as there was no leak as there was movement on the meter (not even a dripping tap). He wasn't here for very long, and then left.
    Originally posted by MXW
    I assume you mean 'No movement on the meter'??

The commonest form of leak in a house is a toilet cistern silently overflowing into the basin; this can be intermittent.

It is simply not acceptable that you cannot read your meter; and thus are unable to check for leaks. I would insist that Severn Trent rectify the situation.

If you cant read the meter, could it be that the meter reader couldn't either and just guessed or estimated.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 2nd Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    I assume you mean 'No movement on the meter'??

The commonest form of leak in a house is a toilet cistern silently overflowing into the basin; this can be intermittent.

It is simply not acceptable that you cannot read your meter; and thus are unable to check for leaks. I would insist that Severn Trent rectify the situation.

If you cant read the meter, could it be that the meter reader couldn't either and just guessed or estimated.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Yes, no movement on the meter. He told me there was no leak inside or outside. I thought my meter was electronically read, but Severn Trent have confirmed today that it isn't. You may be right that it has been read incorrectly!
    • Alan Wednesday
    • By Alan Wednesday 22nd Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Alan Wednesday
    You really need to deal in m3, doubt if you use much more than 2-3 m3 per month. This would result in a far smaller bill than received. The meter is their's, possibly withhold payment until they replace it with one that can be read.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 22nd Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 12,259 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    fatbelly
    At the end of the day they do have a trust fund that you can apply to.

http://www.sttf.org.uk/online-application/

and a Big Difference scheme

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-account/help-with-account/am-i-eligible-to-get-money-off-my-bill/

and watersure

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-account/help-with-account/i-have-a-low-income-but-my-water-usage-is-high/
    • MXW
    • By MXW 25th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    Thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.
    Update......
    It seems that the meter has been read incorrectly, it's way out. The guy who read the meter said he couldn't begin to understand how he could have got the reading he had.

My meter was read a fortnight ago and I still haven't received a revised bill! I have cancelled my direct debit, and they won't be getting any payment from me until I have been issued with a revised bill.

Thanks again for your input.
    • Fluffybunny80
    • By Fluffybunny80 22nd Mar 18, 12:56 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Fluffybunny80
    Any update on this?
    • MXW
    • By MXW 22nd Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    Any update on this?
    Originally posted by Fluffybunny80
    Yes...there is an update

After 2 weeks and no revised bill I rang them again! I was told that they had received the revised reading but the bill had not been issued!

I have now received the revised bill and it is pretty much on a par with my previous bills.

Have received no apology.... nothing!
    Last edited by MXW; 22-03-2018 at 7:03 PM.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 22nd Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    Any update on this?
    Originally posted by Fluffybunny80
    Yes...there is an update

After 2 weeks and no revised bill I rang them again! I was told that they had received the revised reading but the bill had not been issued!

I have now received the revised bill and it is pretty much on a par with my previous bills.

Have received no apology.... nothing!
    • dipsy
    • By dipsy 2nd May 18, 3:30 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 9,704 Thanks
    dipsy
    oddly I have just had to have a long conversation with Yorkshire Water

there are only two of us at home and a usage of 269 Cubic meters

We share a bath, 3 loads of washings a week, no dishwasher, rarely water garden

They say they see there is no leaks externally from a device they have on the meter

However, my monthly payment is 75 and when I was on a standing charge it was about 30

I wish I could go back this has been so expensive

I do have a daughter home from uni for a few weeks but that is only an extra bath a day :-(
    2007 1749
    2008 291.99
    2009 JanMasscara 7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 20 XFactor tkts x 2 58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation 7.99
    total so far for 09 92.99
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 2nd May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 27,340 Posts
    • 13,383 Thanks
    Cardew
    there are only two of us at home and a usage of 269 Cubic meters

(
    Originally posted by dipsy
    That is approx 2.5 times more than average consumption for a couple.

It is easy enough to check if you have a leak by switching off all water and observing the water meter.

If you have a internal leak the main culprit is the toilet(s) where water can leak(silently) from the cistern to the bowl.
    • dipsy
    • By dipsy 3rd May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 9,704 Thanks
    dipsy
    Yes, that is what we are going to do, turn it off at the internal stop !!!!
    take a reading go to work, take a reading and see

Then we will turn on the internal one and turn off the external one and repeat

They say they have a gadget on it though that shows external leaks so who knows

The toilet is definitely not leaking water like a urinal (if you get my drift)

So god knows, will do the above and then see

When they installed the meter I questioned the bill and there was an external leak which they fixed, so I wonder if their repair has failed?
    2007 1749
    2008 291.99
    2009 JanMasscara 7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 20 XFactor tkts x 2 58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation 7.99
    • dipsy
    • By dipsy 8th May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 3,029 Posts
    • 9,704 Thanks
    dipsy
    Update

YW came out today, seems ever since they have installed my meter it has been reading my water and next door (3 bed semi that was converted in 2014 to a HMO)

so in essence, we have been paying for our water and for an additional 5 showers/5 toilets and a dishwasher.... that would explain

Question is once they rectify how do I go about getting the rebate?

thanks
    2007 1749
    2008 291.99
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

956Posts Today

6,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin