Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 31st Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 23,798Posts
    • 155,147Thanks
    Aesop
    ~Make upto 10 a day February 2018~
    • 31st Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    ~Make upto 10 a day February 2018~ 31st Jan 18 at 9:54 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

This is the 126th month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make 10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra 10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of 1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to 5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for 10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:
    Wages from your main job

What can be added:
    Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly.

Link to previous thread.

So who wants to kick 2018 into a financially working for you year?

Join this challenge and let's make those bank accounts fat, mortgages paid off, holidays paid off, savings account grow fatter, debts paid off and much much more!!!
    Last edited by Aesop; 27-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    Make 10 a day March 2018 40.38

January -
    February -

Page 11
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 13th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    • 23,798 Posts
    • 155,147 Thanks
    Aesop
    Another day, another penny or two! 47.02 MB'ing.

Half-term, so we're taking the opportunity to try and get the 4-year old out of pull-ups at night. She's so keen bless her. Let's just say I'm hoping for a slightly better night sleep tonight compared to last night.

Have a good day tomorrow all.
    Originally posted by cufc_mike
    awww good luck. let's hope this week is the result of dry nights

January -
    February -

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 14th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 12,940 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    I am genuinely sorry for neglecting this thread for the last few months.

I have taken on far too much and am sitting here now wondering when I might go to bed.

I have started an OU degree in Business Management and my first TMA is due 1 March. But we are away this weekend, and in March at the end Stepdaughter is getting married. At some point we need to move out by May. I also do my DH accounts for his business, and also took on Treasurer role at Scouts before DH setup his business. Their accounts are in a right state and people hand in things willy nilly, a year later, etc. I now have my part time regular job and at the moment weekly an additional part time job where the client pays me very well for doing his invoicing etc.

But it is 10pm and DS is on half term so we spent half a day with some old friends we haven't seen for a long time. Rushed home as admin client needed some urgent invoicing done, by the time he left, DH wanted dinner and DS remembered it was pancake day.

I desperately need to tidy my spare room as have no access currently to ironing board or printer.Also logistically I need to bring printer back downstairs and keep it in livingroom/dining area as going up and down to collect print outs and scanning items is not working.

I also feel absolutely terrible as this thread is neglected.

I can tell by the reduction in the number of posts

I know we are all busy with our lives and have loads going on, we all do, always.

And I am sitting here thinking food, posting and money making. I need to get back to money making. I need to sleep less hours a night and need less hours sleep, without the black eyes and I can achieve much more....
    Originally posted by Aesop
    And breathe!!!

Seriously Aesop.......yes it sounds like you have rathe ra lot on your plate.

Why dont you take some time off this thread to help you out? Its not worth your sanity to keep all the plates spinning. We will still be here ready to welcome you back with open arms and you will have your sanity intact.

I know you probably wont take any notice of my wise words But whats the worst that can happen?

Look after yourself! XX
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...679.74 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,092
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 14th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Sorry I disappeared for a few days again.. baby kindly gave me his cough/cold thing and it developed into something like flu and I ended up in bed unable to do much at all. Think it might be starting to get better now.

No idea what I have posted this month already, so totting up everything below:
    Curious cat 4
    Citizenme 74p
    Bank interest 1.41
    MB 170.86

Pretty much on track money making wise this month (not entirely sure how!)
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: May 87.45/310, April 488.20/50 (Mar 754.90, Feb 519.52, Jan 608.10
    , 2017 Jul - Nov: 2,689.44)
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 14th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Well done and so pleased you had a lovely birthday lunch.

Ouch not heard of baby getting so many at one time. Parsons powder?
    Yes.. he likes to be "different"... I did find someone who said theirs was getting 6 and I thought that was too much! I try lots of things, but they all make him cry/scream and in the end all he wants are cuddles.
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: May 87.45/310, April 488.20/50 (Mar 754.90, Feb 519.52, Jan 608.10
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 14th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Evening all. Pretty quiet weekend here, poor weather meant we didn't really leave the house much. Nipped out to a local garden centre for lunch, and had a quick look at their fish tanks - what is it with young children and fish? Mesmerised for ages!
    Made me laugh! I used to take (and still sometimes do) my baby out to the garden centre down the road just to look at the fish. Clearly we went too often as they started to recognise me and comment on how much he had grown!

I am still considering buying some fish for the house..
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 14th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    It has thanks Shariann - I explained what had happened to the doctor and she was adamant it would've been a trapped nerve. I thought that might have been the case....I'd looked on Google obviously haha. Does anybody else look at symptoms on Google and then wish they hadn't bothered!
    I try not to as it never seems to help and either indicates something I am sure I don't have or leaves me confused! It's never right..
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 14th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    First of all have some big hugs and then I'll be honest - you are just trying to do too much

Brilliant to read you're doing an OU course. I'm sure that if you contact your supervisor tomorrow and explain about pending house-move and wedding he/she will be able to give you an extension.

Re-delegate the Treasurer role tomorrow for the moment, telling them you'll be happy to take it up again when things less hectic.

Move the printer and ironing board out of the spare room tomorrow and re-allocate them on a temporary basis. Shut the door until next week.

I'm sure DH's accounts can be left for a couple of days as it's the middle of the month, but obviously you'll have to keep up with the admin guy and your P/T job.

Have more sleep and plenty of nourishing food to build up your energy and resistance. Plan Thursday and Friday out of the house with your DS.

Then, at the weekend, you can sit down and plan your time for the next couple of weeks. That way you'll feel less like being pulled in all directions at once.

I'm sure that we're all big enough and brave enough to manage until the end of the month with minimum input from you, so you can come back raring to go in March, so long as you pop in a few times to tell us you're okay.

You've done soo much for so many peoples in the past that I really think you should give yourself time and space to get yourself organised and in a more positive place. That way you'll get more done anyways.

Sorry - nagging over
    Lx
    Originally posted by lynnejk
    Well said... I can't say it any better than that! I also am terrible for taking on too much and trying to apply 100% to everything. I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that with a baby it isn't possible and I have to radically reduce what I think is possible in the time.

Take a break.. we'll all still be here when you get back.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Feb 18, 10:20 AM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 26,761 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    First of all have some big hugs and then I'll be honest - you are just trying to do too much

Brilliant to read you're doing an OU course. I'm sure that if you contact your supervisor tomorrow and explain about pending house-move and wedding he/she will be able to give you an extension.

Re-delegate the Treasurer role tomorrow for the moment, telling them you'll be happy to take it up again when things less hectic.

Move the printer and ironing board out of the spare room tomorrow and re-allocate them on a temporary basis. Shut the door until next week.

I'm sure DH's accounts can be left for a couple of days as it's the middle of the month, but obviously you'll have to keep up with the admin guy and your P/T job.

Have more sleep and plenty of nourishing food to build up your energy and resistance. Plan Thursday and Friday out of the house with your DS.

Then, at the weekend, you can sit down and plan your time for the next couple of weeks. That way you'll feel less like being pulled in all directions at once.

I'm sure that we're all big enough and brave enough to manage until the end of the month with minimum input from you, so you can come back raring to go in March, so long as you pop in a few times to tell us you're okay.

You've done soo much for so many peoples in the past that I really think you should give yourself time and space to get yourself organised and in a more positive place. That way you'll get more done anyways.

Sorry - nagging over
    Lx
    Originally posted by lynnejk
    Lynne, what a brilliant post. You summed up exactly what I was thinking (and probably others too) and expressed it so much better than I could have done. And you are definitely NOT nagging, just giving advice to a much loved friend. I'm sure we all class Aesop as a friend not just someone we interact with in cyberspace.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 14-02-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1209.25

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 14th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    An extra 10% on WBB today (expires midnight) with code VAL2018. Get scanning for those of you decluttering!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Feb 18, 10:53 AM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 26,761 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I am genuinely sorry for neglecting this thread for the last few months.

I have taken on far too much and am sitting here now wondering when I might go to bed.

I have started an OU degree in Business Management and my first TMA is due 1 March. But we are away this weekend, and in March at the end Stepdaughter is getting married. At some point we need to move out by May. I also do my DH accounts for his business, and also took on Treasurer role at Scouts before DH setup his business. Their accounts are in a right state and people hand in things willy nilly, a year later, etc. I now have my part time regular job and at the moment weekly an additional part time job where the client pays me very well for doing his invoicing etc.

But it is 10pm and DS is on half term so we spent half a day with some old friends we haven't seen for a long time. Rushed home as admin client needed some urgent invoicing done, by the time he left, DH wanted dinner and DS remembered it was pancake day.

I desperately need to tidy my spare room as have no access currently to ironing board or printer.Also logistically I need to bring printer back downstairs and keep it in livingroom/dining area as going up and down to collect print outs and scanning items is not working.

I also feel absolutely terrible as this thread is neglected.

I can tell by the reduction in the number of posts

I know we are all busy with our lives and have loads going on, we all do, always.

And I am sitting here thinking food, posting and money making. I need to get back to money making. I need to sleep less hours a night and need less hours sleep, without the black eyes and I can achieve much more....
    Dear Aesop, your post brought tears to my eyes. Genuinely.

I agree we are all busy with our lives and have loads going on and that's maybe the main reason why there is a reduction in the number of posts. It isn't because you are neglecting us, we know you're only absent because you have so much else to cope with. There are so many people (too many IMO) depending on you in real life and there comes a time when you have no life of your own. You have been a true inspiration to so many of us and there's a huge amount of helpful advice and pointers at the beginning of each month's challenge already to keep us busy when you're not around. Lynne is a first class assistant for you and we know we can always turn to her when there's something we need to know.

Please, please, please don't worry about us. As KM said, why don't you take a bit of time away from the thread as ''we will still be here ready to welcome you back with open arms and you will have your sanity intact''.

Lynne, in her lovely post said ''I'm sure that we're all big enough and brave enough to manage until the end of the month with minimum input from you, so you can come back raring to go in March, so long as you pop in a few times to tell us you're okay''.

I just wanted to tell you that in my career I was always the one that stepped in to help others out, I was never able to say ''no'' and although I didn't realise it at the time I was burning myself out. I also think, hindsight being a wonderful thing, that my good nature was being taken advantage of. Colleagues and friends used to tell me that they were worried about me as I looked so tired but I just carried on regardless, taking on more and more. The end result was that I totally exhausted myself physically and mentally and needed a very long stretch off work. All the things I was so worried about, the fear that everything would come crashing down if I wasn't there to do it, got done anyway. Other people stepped up and got everything sorted, the world didn't come to an end just because I wasn't around

So, lovely Aesop, please think of yourself a bit more. You can rest assured that we are all behind you 100%. I feel very guilty that my visits to the thread are so hit and miss these days but as from now I'm definitely going to do better and will try to drop in much more often. Between us we'll keep the thread alive
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 14-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.

• carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 26,761 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    An extra 10% on WBB today (expires midnight) with code VAL2018. Get scanning for those of you decluttering!
    Originally posted by QueenJess
    Thanks for that Jess. I'm staring at a massive box of books at this minute, I can hardly avoid it, it's stuck between my chair and the doorway. I keep meaning to try to list the books somewhere but something else always seems more urgent. Your code is just the incentive I need as these are nice books, not the usual kind that WBB and Ziffit never want so it's well worth me spending some time on getting them decluttered one way or another today.

• truebluemummy
    • By truebluemummy 14th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    truebluemummy
    Hi everyone, hope you are all having a good day. I made 5 today after selling some boots (children's), I have just changed energy providers - 22 less a month, with 25 cashback after 3 onths and 75 Quidco for switching.= happy me.

xx
    February 5 a day ... 187.84/140
    March 10 a day 287.47 /310
    April 73/310
    May 119.456/310 10 a day
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 14th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 23,798 Posts
    • 155,147 Thanks
    Aesop
    thank you everyone,you are all so lovely xxx

I can't give up scout accounts at the moment, I need to submit this years to them, sort out the mess and then hand it all over....

I loved what Lynne said about my ironing board and printer. Neither have left the room yet. We are away this weekend and I may move the printer tomorrow. I need the cupboard it sits on to come back downstairs too... cue DH.

This evening I sat down and said I am studying, I put ear plugs in and put on some mozart to drown out the sound of the tv. I was doing quite well, reading, analysing, thinking....then DH started talking.... and he says I wish you weren't studying....

so I decided to bore him by telling him what I wanted to achieve, and where I needed support and as he can't help, he went back to the tv.

I bought a lightbox off amazon to start selling my ebay items with more finesse....it took me so long to get it up, I have decided it is staying up permanently....

I still feel guilty. I was trying to find an old post to post, but could I find it heck.... instead mse made me change my password again!

January -
    February -

• cufc_mike
    • By cufc_mike 14th Feb 18, 11:55 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    cufc_mike
    Just my regular MB'ing to report today. 18.42. Late, and bed beckons so I'll leave this post short tonight.

G'night all!
    Make 500 May Challenge: 738.36 / 500 -> My Matched Betting Blog
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 15th Feb 18, 2:39 AM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 26,761 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    You sounded so much more upbeat in your last post, Aesop. Good for you making time for yourself to do some studying. Your DH and DS will get used to it given time. Men just like to think they're the centre of our universe don't they?

I haven't listed any money I've made this past few days but will try to get onto that tomorrow. My brother died yesterday morning. It wasn't totally unexpected as he had Stage 4 cancer but the end came a lot quicker than any of us imagined it would. I only saw him at the weekend and fully expected I'd be able to get another opportunity to go and visit him again. I'm still in shock and still up, I certainly won't sleep tonight, but can't seem to be able to focus on anything at the moment.

Good luck everyone for the second half of the month. Well done for any money made so far

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 15th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 12,940 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    You sounded so much more upbeat in your last post, Aesop. Good for you making time for yourself to do some studying. Your DH and DS will get used to it given time. Men just like to think they're the centre of our universe don't they?

I haven't listed any money I've made this past few days but will try to get onto that tomorrow. My brother died yesterday morning. It wasn't totally unexpected as he had Stage 4 cancer but the end came a lot quicker than any of us imagined it would. I only saw him at the weekend and fully expected I'd be able to get another opportunity to go and visit him again. I'm still in shock and still up, I certainly won't sleep tonight, but can't seem to be able to focus on anything at the moment.

Good luck everyone for the second half of the month. Well done for any money made so far
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy

So sorry to hear about your brother CBC I remember you saying he had cancer a while back. So sudden. Life is cruel sometimes.
    Big hugs to you Xxxxxxxx
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...679.74 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,092
    • shariann
    • By shariann 15th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 4,869 Thanks
    shariann

Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Sending hugs CBC. I think it is always a shock when someone you love dies, even when you know it's coming. Good to hear that you saw your brother so recently. Take care of yourself xxx
    10 a day May - 242.73/310
    2014 110.92 2015 3732.30 2016 1633.66 2017 2991.70
    2018 Jan 604.94 Feb 264.01 March 360.26April 282.29
    • Rosie
    • By Rosie 15th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,733 Posts
    • 9,106 Thanks
    Rosie
    So sorry to hear your sad news CBC. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Rosie xx
    Nov 10 a day 375.80/300
    Dec 10 a day 330.00/310
    Jan 10 a day 337 99/310
    Feb 10 a day 281.80/280
    Mar 10 a day 219.30/310
    Apr 10 a day 265.42/300
    • shariann
    • By shariann 15th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 4,869 Thanks
    shariann
    thank you everyone,you are all so lovely xxx

I can't give up scout accounts at the moment, I need to submit this years to them, sort out the mess and then hand it all over....

I loved what Lynne said about my ironing board and printer. Neither have left the room yet. We are away this weekend and I may move the printer tomorrow. I need the cupboard it sits on to come back downstairs too... cue DH.

This evening I sat down and said I am studying, I put ear plugs in and put on some mozart to drown out the sound of the tv. I was doing quite well, reading, analysing, thinking....then DH started talking.... and he says I wish you weren't studying....

so I decided to bore him by telling him what I wanted to achieve, and where I needed support and as he can't help, he went back to the tv.

I bought a lightbox off amazon to start selling my ebay items with more finesse....it took me so long to get it up, I have decided it is staying up permanently....

I still feel guilty. I was trying to find an old post to post, but could I find it heck.... instead mse made me change my password again!
    Your posts make me tired just reading them Aesop I thought I had a busy life! You definitely don't need to feel guilty about us. As others have said you have already done so much for us and we are just pleased to 'see' you when you pop in.

What's with the passwords on mse?? I got a message change mine as it was 3000 odd days old and had expired - fair enough I thought. Then I got the same message 5 days later!
    • shariann
    • By shariann 15th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 4,869 Thanks
    shariann
    Had a lovely couple of days ignoring all the problems in my life while I celebrated my birthday but back to reality today. I feel a bit sick, not sure if that is from the wine I drank last night or because I am stressed. Probably a bit of both.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

3,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin