Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angus Mac
    • By Angus Mac 19th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Angus Mac
    Balance Transfer B*lls Up!!
    • 19th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    Balance Transfer B*lls Up!! 19th Jan 18 at 7:50 PM
    Late last October, following Martin's advice he gave on a tv prog, I applied online for a well-known credit card to take advantage of their generous interest-free period. I transferred the balance from an existing card but, despite the sum showing up on my new card account, the sum owed on my old card showed no change.
    I contacted my new card's issuer and after several days it transpired that money had been transfered to my new card from someone else's credit card account. My new issuer claimed that I must have made a mistake in entering my old card number but said the mistake would take about five weeks to fix.
    Here we are in 2018 and, despite several calls to the new card issuer, they still haven't been able to return the money to its rightful 'owner'. During the last call from them, on Jan 9th, their rep offered me 10 as a token of goodwill but told me he couldn't authorise the mistakenly transferred money to be returned but would have to pass it over to another department. It might take five weeks to rectify the error, he said.
    I've heard nothing more since then.
    Surely, if I had made a mistake entering my old card's number they could, by checking it against the correct number, spot the error and return the transfer? I do not believe that it was me who made the error but it was a mis-type by one of their employees. They also asked me to give them the expiry date of the old card and its security number in order that they could return the money. My old card issuer told me that this extra information is totally unnecessary when correcting a transfer mistake and they, like me, were suspicious as to who had actually made the error.
    Thankfully, no interest is acruing on my new card account at present but what do I do now? Contact the banking ombudsman? I'm at my wits end with my new card issuer and am sure they are fobbing me off with excuses.
Page 1
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 8th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    Not sure why it would require them to retype the card number, surely this stuff should be electronically done by now.

I imagine someone got extremely delighted when their credit card balance shows a huge payment in.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    Has the five weeks passed?
    If so log a formal complaint with the card provider.

Only once they give you a final response can you take a complaint to the Ombudsman. (they have up to 8 weeks to resolve a complaint).

In the meantime, make sure you make the minimum payment on time otherwise that could cause further problems.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

2,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin