Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11,148Posts
    • 59,854Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and 20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 3
    • Jenjenjen17
    • By Jenjenjen17 11th Nov 17, 3:00 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Jenjenjen17
    Hi Ed, I was a long time lurker on your old thread and have just come across your new diary, just wanted to pop in and say hello and glad you are back!
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 11th Nov 17, 3:26 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Hi Ed, I was a long time lurker on your old thread and have just come across your new diary, just wanted to pop in and say hello and glad you are back!
    Originally posted by Jenjenjen17
    Thank you (and nice to see you out of lurkdom)

DD has just taken a !!!!!!! terrifying dive down the staircase and landed head first

She scared the crap out of her Mrs E and I, but aside from a large bump and a wee graze on her porcelain forehead, she seems to be ok. Watching out for signs of lethargy, confusion, vomiting or changed eating/sleeping

The morning started off much more successfully. Got a smart chap haircut to hide my greying locks and went to the West end, where we picked up a couple of Christmas presents (JoJo M@man Snooty accidentally discounted a multi-buy offer twice) and went to see the carp in the Kibble Palace.

I also got the 1st world discount of the year Waitrose had reduced salmon caviar (my favourite food in the world (I know, I know)) by 50% and we also had a 20% off voucher if you spent 70. We tacked on a couple of boozy presents and ended up getting the caviar at 1.99 a jar (down from a fiver)

We will watch the rugby once DD goes to bed (so no spoilers please) and have a lovely bottle of wine to drink that I bought a decade ago and forgot about. It's a sauternes, so have a wee cheeseboard to go with. We'd better win!

Edit: in other exciting news, I have bought a wrapping paper box - that stuff has enraged me for the last time

Edit the second: has anyone seen the Simpsons episode where they're taking the !!!! out of the Marie Kondo book? Very amusing
    Last edited by edinburgher; 11-11-2017 at 4:18 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Nov 17, 12:10 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh Ed! Since your post yesterday, I presume Miss Ed was okay overnight? Terrifying

A wrapping paper box ... brilliant, funniest purchase I've ever heard of
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Nov 17, 12:36 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    She's fine KC, thanks for asking. Unfortunately she's looking a little battle scarred, poor soul. A scratch on her cheek (nursery pal from a couple of months ago), a scrape on her forehead (luckily no real bruising) and a mini shiner under one of her eyes where she scraped the carpet

I took her out to the park this morning and we had a great wander about, chased some puppies and mucked about in the garden centre looking at their Christmas stuff. Picked up a present for MIL and managed to escape with no DD purchases bar a wee carton of juice in the cafe and a cake that she took two bites out of

2.24 paid off CCs and another couple of presents bought online.

Ps. I know that a wrapping paper box sounds daft, but we have had had a running battle for two years in which the lovely Mrs E will dump wrapping paper at precarious angles in a couple of very cramped cupboards in the kitchen, leading to regular collapses of delicate items and hubbyrage. The box will solve the problem
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for the update on DD.

I was mocking the wrapping paper box but seriously, considering how much is on one roll, and the number of rolls we all seem to end up with, its a really good idea long may they box
    Retired August 2016
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 12th Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    • 9,757 Posts
    • 23,678 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    We've got one of those really useful storage boxes designed for wrapping paper. I buy Christmas gift wrap in the sales and it lives in the box in the attic until I need it.

IIRC, I got mine in Rymans. It came with 3 rolls of wrapping paper and it was 10.
    know thyself

MFW 2018 #22 - 2180.08 /6,000 (36%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target 75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 13th Nov 17, 6:32 AM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 20,901 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    You see what you have done? Now I have box envy! - Ours sits in a really ancient, slightly decrepit long plastic bag from M&S that allows removal of the tallest roll, but now the handle is tearing and the moment is approaching.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after May 45.81% 4,581.38/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 1,021.80/3,000 including stores so far 34.06% of my annual budget at the end of May
    My DFD is here
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 13th Nov 17, 7:51 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    I have one the useful boxes for my wrapping paper but have also seen a pillowcase on a skirt hanger used in the wardrobe to hols all the rolls
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 13th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 10,042 Thanks
    themadvix
    My mum has one of these for wrapping paper storage - Pinterest is a wonderful place for strange but clever/cheap ideas! http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/kitchen-organisers-shelves/variera-plastic-bag-dispenser-white-art-80010222/
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 636.46
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jun 2018: 92,000
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Nov 17, 1:01 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    We've got one of those really useful storage boxes designed for wrapping paper. I buy Christmas gift wrap in the sales and it lives in the box in the attic until I need it.

IIRC, I got mine in Rymans. It came with 3 rolls of wrapping paper and it was 10.
    Originally posted by pavlovs_dog
    That's the one we went for P_D
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Nov 17, 2:02 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    So my credit score appears to have ceased the uninterrupted freefall that it has been experiencing over the last 3-4 months, probably because I've paid off a couple of lower value cards.

I'm now left with the thankless task of attempting to pay off the proportion of our debts that aren't covered by savings by the day of Brexit (29/05/19). It works out at about 300/week, so a pretty bruising pace of repayment. Why Brexit? Well, I hope it will arrive with a whimper, but I'm afraid of the potential bang

It looks like 2018 will need to be a lot less spendy than 2015-2017

250 or so paid off the card with the lowest balance this morning.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 13th Nov 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,951 Posts
    • 20,901 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

250 or so paid off the card with the lowest balance this morning.
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Just checking - are all these CCs on a similar or 0% interest rate too?
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after May 45.81% 4,581.38/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 1,021.80/3,000 including stores so far 34.06% of my annual budget at the end of May
    My DFD is here
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Nov 17, 2:54 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Just checking - are all these CCs on a similar or 0% interest rate too?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Yes, all CCs are on 0% until May 2019 or later.
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 13th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,867 Thanks
    ZTD
    I'm now left with the thankless task of attempting to pay off the proportion of our debts that aren't covered by savings by the day of Brexit (29/05/19). It works out at about 300/week, so a pretty bruising pace of repayment. Why Brexit? Well, I hope it will arrive with a whimper, but I'm afraid of the potential bang
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    I would point out (probably in a not-welcome fashion...) that if it's going to go bang, it'll go bang long before the actual day.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Thanks for those words of encouragement

Perhaps it's not so much a big bang as a sustained period of the UK being up !!!! creek without a paddle. In any case, I want to carry as little debt as possible.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 13-11-2017 at 8:57 PM.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 13th Nov 17, 10:06 PM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 30,150 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Glad Miss E is OK.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Nov 17, 8:18 AM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    • 0.11 paid off CC (cashback)
    • 0.35 OPed (TT)
    • Picked up some good whoopsies - 1.5kg pork joint, 12 rolls and a red Leicester ploughman's sandwich for 2.40

I get the feeling it's going to be one of those days
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 16th Nov 17, 10:09 AM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 21,300 Thanks
    Watty1
    found your thread this morning. Great to see you back
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: 132,995 Aug 2015 0
    Overpaid next mortgage. 79,491 down to 27152
    Changing focus for now
    • Dot Common
    • By Dot Common 16th Nov 17, 3:36 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    Dot Common
    First time I've been in this neck of the woods for a couple of years - it's great to still see some of the diaries I used to follow back in the day! Sounds like you've got it all under control Ed.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    First time I've been in this neck of the woods for a couple of years - it's great to still see some of the diaries I used to follow back in the day! Sounds like you've got it all under control Ed.
    Originally posted by Dot Common
    Nice to see you - but under control? You must be thinking of someone else!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

5,059Users online

Martin's Twitter