Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 11,148Posts
    • 59,854Thanks
    edinburgher
    The Edcawber Principle
    • 30th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    The Edcawber Principle 30th Oct 17 at 5:22 PM
    I think I promised a new and improved positive diary earlier on in the summer

I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet, (unlike my credit card statements). Cutting a long story short, after renovating the house and an accidental car purchase (hey, it could've been a house!) we are probably better candidates for DFW

We're now left with a much more relaxing house (we just finished our bedroom), a new car and £20,000 in credit card debt

The new job goes fairly well, all things considered and our budget is starting to balance on a month-to-month basis. Basically I've said yes to everything, which is lovely, but immature. Mrs E realises the lie of the land and is supporting efforts to get back on an even keel. I'm eb@ying, saving cashback and making overpayments every Monday.

DD and Mrs E are doing fabby, DD is the apple of our eye and remains chatty, affectionate and madcap
Page 2
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 2nd Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 36,754 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Sounds like me after a long bike ride.

Hope she is feeling better very soon. X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 7,081 Posts
    • 72,156 Thanks
    greent
    Hope DD makes a full recovery soon x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Nov 17, 4:55 AM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,995 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad DD is on the mend but what a dire experience for you all
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 3rd Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Another tough night, think she was up 7-8 times. What was much worse was I had to 'restrain' her with a gentle arm around her shoulders after she kicked the first dose of antibiotics out of my hand. There was that, then the same for ibuprofen, then I had to break the news that she was going upstairs for a bath

I was not a popular dad - it cost me 45 minutes of Play-Doh time to gain forgiveness for that particular series of events

Her fever seems to have broken this morning, but she is wabbit.

It looks like the gig is up as regards our dodgy electricity meter that (very occasionally) does a slow reverse when the sun hitting the solar panels is particularly bright. We're getting a new meter fitted in a couple of weeks. I tried multiple times to chase this up with our previous supplier, but we switched a few months ago and I hadn't resolved it yet. In practical terms, this means we'll probably be billed retrospectively for 3-4 months of additional electricity use. Not particularly concerned as our power usage is minimal for a house/family of our size, but I am glad that it will finally be resolved

£5.33 paid off CCs, H@lifax cashback and T5B savings interest. Grocery shopping was surprisingly minimal last night - £5 off Mr M's voucher and no meat or fish bought as the freezer is groaning.

HM pork and bean stew tonight, no idea what we're doing on Saturday, roast dinner on Sunday.

Still need to start on the Christmas presents.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 03-11-2017 at 8:40 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 3rd Nov 17, 10:10 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh you mean daddy, fancy giving your daughter a bath it's incredibly stressful when a toddler is upset by something that really needs to happen, I'm so glad her fever seems to have broken.
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 3rd Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    £20.75 paid off the CCs (P2P interest and some dividend payments), Christmas presents bought for 2 and a card bought for family member who's expecting.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 03-11-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Nov 17, 1:10 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 219,995 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope DD is brighter today.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 4th Nov 17, 2:04 PM
    • 6,333 Posts
    • 43,791 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi Ed, good luck with the new diary and debt busting, hope your dd feels better today
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£13,632 paid so far

Mortgage £36,319 4yrs left. Total owed £48,358 plan to clear in 14 months
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 4th Nov 17, 6:54 PM
    • 16,606 Posts
    • 109,664 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I think yours is the dark blue Ed? LBC is bright blue and very pretty . Am guessing you've got LBC's big brother - am sure you'll be very pleased with it, they are great cars .

Glad DD is on the mend, scary how quickly they can go downhill.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 5th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Think I'm going mad! No trace of that card for expecting family member in my Et5y order history

I am shattered. Left the house at 08:00 yesterday to help Dad move house. 250 miles of driving and I got back at 17:30. Still, it's good to see him settled in a lovely new home (amazing what your money gets you in the sticks) and he retires in a few months, so it's not as if commuting will be an issue for him.

Today I have hoovered, cleaned out the tumble dryer, updated spreadsheets and rattled my way around the house with a little cleaning (parents visiting this afternoon). I am going wild from the smell of tonight's roast pork (5.5 hours into a slow roast)

Managed to sell our old sat nav on Eb@y, should be another £28 or so off the CCs once we get it posted. I really need to get off my !!!! and post the old phone I'm selling to C3x, but it needs to be dropped off for a courier.

Otherwise trying to take it easy - we went out for some fireworks last night and I met wife's new gal pal and her family - it's nice to make some new grownup friends.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Nov 17, 11:26 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Otherwise trying to take it easy
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Have you re-read your post, Ed?

That's, um, quite a lot well done you.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 17, 11:13 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 32,227 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I second Karmacat.

Anyhow, welcome back, Ed.

Hope your daughter is better or at least getting there and the new job is going well.

Quite surprised to hear you've bought a car. However, you can't tell us that information without telling us what it is.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments £1,750
    • turtlemoose
    • By turtlemoose 7th Nov 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    turtlemoose
    Yay return of Ed

I don't feel so bad about my cc debt now, which is almost entirely new car too (albeit a year ago now!) if Ed's doing it then it can't have been too bad a decision
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 7th Nov 17, 12:43 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Anyhow, welcome back, Ed.

Hope your daughter is better or at least getting there and the new job is going well.

Quite surprised to hear you've bought a car. However, you can't tell us that information without telling us what it is.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Thanks Alex

DD is just about better, still barking a little. We have taken her back to nursery this morning and she wasn't too timid.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not telling you what car I bought as you're a car snob

Yay return of Ed

I don't feel so bad about my cc debt now, which is almost entirely new car too (albeit a year ago now!) if Ed's doing it then it can't have been too bad a decision
    Originally posted by turtlemoose
    Trust me, if Ed jumps off a bridge, don't do it!

We are having a rare couple day off today as Mrs E has been in hospital for a minor medical doohicky. Nothing that really needs a day off, but it's nice to get a chance to rest.

I have processed a couple loads of laundry and the ridiculous amount of recycling we'd got from Christmas parcels being delivered. Mrs E has changed the bed and we're going to pop out for a cheapo lunch and to drop off a couple of parcels. Also making some pumpkin soup - trying to get ahead on tasks as I'm in a conference until late tomorrow.

Fun stuff this afternoon, we'll probably watch a movie and choose a couple of Christmas presents for DD online.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Nov 17, 9:42 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 32,227 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I'm not sure a liking for 50 year old British tin makes me a car snob. Could have sold you a nice Triumph 2500S for a lot less than £20,000 had you wished to join the club, though.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments £1,750
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Nov 17, 5:41 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 30,150 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Are you pleased with your house? It must be a year or so now?
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Nov 17, 10:54 AM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Are you pleased with your house? It must be a year or so now?
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    2 years actually SHS

We are pleased with our house in that it's more attractive and far less cluttered than it was. At a basic level, however, I have a feeling that it is just a tiny bit too small for our needs as a family (existing family, this isn't exciting news)

It still needs a bit more love and ongoing maintenance to look its best, we'll be staying 'til at least the end of 2020 before deciding whether or not there will be a next step.

£26.22 paid off CCs (balance of satnav sale), remembered to post my old phone to C3x.

On a totally unrelated note, I went on my first professional conference in 7-8 years yesterday, it went very well
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,869 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good lord, two years, Ed? Wow!

Would it be worth building an extension, upwards or outwards or both, especially if you're happy with the area?
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Quite possibly KC. It wouldn't take a whole lot to make it a more viable space. Something like a single storey extension (kitchen outwards, add a shower room and a bedroom (granny annex)) would probably be more than sufficient. We shall see

Would consider building a self contained (locks on our side) granny annex and using @irbnb or similar to help pay it off. It could then be used by DD if/when she's a student (Glasgow has great universities, but I appreciate she'd want her own space if she's anything like her folks).

Fancy coffee has turned up - they've reduced the minimum spend for free delivery - so should be able to order 3 times a year (instead of twice). Fresher coffee for the same price
    Last edited by edinburgher; 09-11-2017 at 9:16 PM.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 10th Nov 17, 1:49 PM
    • 11,148 Posts
    • 59,854 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Managed to get our Christmas wrapping paper and some lovely decorative ribbon for less than a fiver last night (3 rolls of paper, go L1dl!) Luckily Mrs E liked it, I was 50/50 as to whether WWIII would commence over making such a decision unilaterally.

Boiler serviced today, which was £60 I would rather not spend, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than having it repaired That reminds me, our bean to cup machine is due its free service as well

DD has finally gone down for a nap, this morning has been exhausting. Her sleep has been really poor of late and I think the sleep deficit has caught up with me, I feel like a grump zombie

Another Christmas present has shown up this morning and I've got a quick chicken roasting in the oven a la Thomas Keller

£1.60 paid off the CCs, cashback.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

5,059Users online

Martin's Twitter