Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darkvortex
    • By darkvortex 25th Feb 16, 11:35 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    darkvortex
    Thames Water meters now compulsory?
    • 25th Feb 16, 11:35 AM
    Thames Water meters now compulsory? 25th Feb 16 at 11:35 AM
    Hi people,
    Just looking for some advice, basically Thames water have sent a letter out saying they will be fitting SMART water meters in the next month or so.
    I did call them up to try to opt out but they say it is compulsory, Government backed and I have no opt out and also keep quoting 'Section 162 of the water indistry act 1991' even though a 2014 letter from DEFRA state it is not compulsory for water company's to install meters even in areas of severe water stress.

They could not even answer exactly what other legistation they have and just said I need to search the Government legistation website.

I did advise I would not give them access to the property if the meter needed to be installed on site but they said they will just install it on the outside of the property.

Now put aside the point that a water meter is fair and probably would save money, I just prefer to pay a fixed rate a year (even if it increases per year).
    I just don't want a water meter and want to know if there is any legal way to challenge this installation as it seems unfair because at the end of the day Thames water are a monopoly (I can't just switch to better rates from an alternative supplier) and if they just fixed the 3-4 billion gallons of water lost from leaks they probably save more money instead of finding new ways to charge.

thanks for any advice and apologises for the long post!

A
Page 4
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 9th Jan 18, 9:12 AM
    • 3,536 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    matelodave
    What difference does it make what sort of water meter you've got - the fact that it's "smart" just means it can be read remotel.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • ragtagbob
    • By ragtagbob 1st Feb 18, 12:14 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ragtagbob
    maybe not
    does anyone know if bromley council has a contract with thames water?
    if yes;then we r among 170,000 clients due compensation from the council for not passing on the discount on our bills
    this wil make the 1991 clause illegal;until this is sorted out
    i dont have paper bills;if someone examines there paper bill and gets back tome;i will be very gratful
    bob from bromley
    • ragtagbob
    • By ragtagbob 15th Feb 18, 4:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ragtagbob
    if bromley council have not refunded the full discount from thames water to the customers
    then "162" is null and void until resolved
    i have inform bob neill our M P
    bob
    • Martlea
    • By Martlea 3rd May 18, 7:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Martlea
    Thames Water fitted my property with a meter in March 2017 after a repair to old external Victorian stop valve.
    I had a 'Activating your Meter' letter from Thames stating there was a two year adjustment period during which my supply would remain on flat rate unless I decided to switch early. I did not.
    Now just receive two 'new bill' emails from thames, one in April for usual annual flat rate supply and another in May for refund of direct debit payments made since March.
    On quering this with Thames I was informed they had decided to cut the two year adjustment period to one year and had switched my a/c over to the new metered supply! No letter to inform me of this.
    I complained this was breach of agreement but to no avail, best I could get them to do was change the billing from twice a year - two direct debit payments to 12 payments per year.
    They also claim not to have recent readings and are estimating usage despite having emailed bills with usage clearly shown. As I can get no satisfactory explanation or action on this from Thames I have refered the complaint to The Council for Water to hopefully sort out.
    Last edited by Martlea; 03-05-2018 at 7:38 PM. Reason: Additional information added
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

3,805Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin