Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • gree0115
    • By gree0115 24th Aug 15, 12:37 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    gree0115
    We had a Tastecard until the end of last year. We'd had a "lifetime" deal of 29.95 which was fairly good value. The first year it renewed automatically as they class it as an ongoing dining club. I contacted them as I never got the renewal email.

The following year I'd made a note in my diary to monitor my spam folder regularly for the renewal in case it ended up there, it didn't. I then contacted them to say that the renewal emails weren't going out, as they were always very quick to blame the "it's in the spam folder". They are, I think, a little slapdash with regard to this alert email as obviously it's in their best interests to just allow it to renew.

We gave it up at the end of last year, as I mentioned we were on a "lifetime" 29.95 offer but every year they tried to put it up until I pointed out it was a "lifetime" deal, and thankfully I'd kept the original sign-up email. I couldn't be bothered chasing them again at the end of last year as the usual email came through trying to put up the price on our "lifetime" deal, so we gave notice on it.
    • miller
    • By miller 25th Aug 15, 10:33 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    miller
    I had a tastecard for a year, but as it was purchased as a gift I did not have to go through all the renewal rigmarole.

It worked better at big chains, independents seemed to hate it. A waitress I know said she and her colleagues despised the customers who came in to use it. Some places tried to present a full price bill despite fulfiling the booking terms etc. For me it just was not worth the hassle, plus all the restrictions surrounding weekends.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 25th Aug 15, 10:55 AM
    • 35,607 Posts
    • 19,822 Thanks
    Quentin
    ....independents seemed to hate it. A waitress I know said she and her colleagues despised the customers who came in to use it.....
    Originally posted by miller
    I bet the waitress' boss doesn't "hate it" - he chose to accept them!

I think staff will take a dim view as tastecard holders = cheapskates as far as tipping (on the full bill, not the discounted final bill) goes!
    • asherwood
    • By asherwood 2nd Nov 15, 3:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    asherwood
    Hi

After just posting my experience with this, I have just seen this thread and would recommend that you contact trading standards by calling 03454 04 05 06 and report them.

Scott
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 2nd Nov 15, 4:21 PM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 9,423 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Sounds like one for watchdog..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • Copthornemike
    • By Copthornemike 26th Nov 15, 5:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Copthornemike
    Tastecard 'scam'
    Sounds like a company which would be a fruitful line of investigation for Moneysaving Expert or the BBC's watchdog to investigate.

Have any of their 3 month introductory offers been suugested by the MSE site in the past? I have a feeling they may have been.
    • chrisstacey
    • By chrisstacey 17th Dec 15, 10:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chrisstacey
    Renewal date and expiry date
    Okay, so I've just been stung by this.

My card is due to expire on the 19th Dec. Today is the 17th. On the 15th I had an email to say I'd been charged 39.99 renewal. That was the first I'd heard of it.

I emailed the same day (15th) to say I didn't want to renew. No reply.

I tried to use the online 'cancellation' tool - it said I couldn't as it had already renewed.

Today, I rang and spoke to them. They've refused to cancel my membership, hiding behind their T&C's.

Technically, according to their T&C's, they've got me. It says about them renewing 4 days before your card expires.

However, what I have issue with is:
    1. They said they email three weeks before renewal to say they'll be automatically charging - I have never received that (of course, their T&C's say they're not liable if you don't receive)
    2. When they emailed on the 15th, they took payment even though my current membership hadn't expired. They say this is "to make sure you're able to use the benefits of tastecard" - rubbish!
    3. They make a technical distinction between expiry and renewal. To most normal people, they're the same. In the MSE guidance it wasn't clear to me there was a difference.
    4. When you look at the way that insurance companies work, it's important they have continuous renewal, but even they (if I'm recalling this right) allow you to cancel right up to the point of the policy starting.

I think it's ludicrous that a 'membership' card has effectively forced me to be a member of them for 12 months even though I've tried to cancel 4 days before my current card expires!
    • HelpINeedSomebody
    • By HelpINeedSomebody 5th Jan 16, 4:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HelpINeedSomebody
    Tastecard ..

Has anyone successfully taken these people through a "small claims" ...

I am thinking of doing so - anyone interested in joining in?

I tried to cancel my membership over the Xmas (closed - no ansamachine) ... and I didn't receive a cancellation email ... etc etc ...

Am happy to do myself though ...
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Jan 16, 6:21 PM
    • 31,662 Posts
    • 19,973 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Tastecard ..

Has anyone successfully taken these people through a "small claims" ...

I am thinking of doing so - anyone interested in joining in?

I tried to cancel my membership over the Xmas (closed - no ansamachine) ... and I didn't receive a cancellation email ... etc etc ...

Am happy to do myself though ...
    Originally posted by HelpINeedSomebody
    Did you follow the right process to cancel ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • SybilFawlty
    • By SybilFawlty 14th Jan 16, 11:25 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    SybilFawlty
    I took up the 1 offer. I've used Tastecard before so I knew about the auto-renewal. I cancelled online a month before the card expired and thought that was that. Unfortunately, they charged me yesterday and refuse to do anything about it. As I didn't get a cancellation email, they maintain that I must have done something wrong in the process and not cancelled it. I know I cancelled it.

I opened a dispute with Paypal as an unauthorised transaction, but Paypal concluded that it wasn't unauthorised and will not do anything about it.

I called my bank who cancelled the DD with Paypal and the back-up card I used was a pre-paid currency card that doesn't have the 29.99 on it.

Does anybody have any advice? I'm annoyed because before, there was every possibility I would have become a member again in the future or purchased a gift membership. After this, I'll never do business with them again.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 14th Jan 16, 12:38 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 18,507 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    My membership is up for renewal and I've had two emails in the last month to remind me that it will be auto-renewed unless I cancelled AND the messages outlined how to cancel too.

I don't see what the problem is.
    • SybilFawlty
    • By SybilFawlty 14th Jan 16, 1:48 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    SybilFawlty
    The problem I have is that I did cancel it online, but, as it's not reflected on their system, I'm expected to pay for it. I'm disappointed by their lack of understanding. Sometimes technology isn't reliable. I would not dispute it if I forgot to cancel, but that's not the case.

It's a shame because I've used Tastecard on and off since they were Taste London and I've never had a problem with them.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 2nd Feb 16, 7:07 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Seeing the MSE news article on this, I've tried to check my account (I was given a free TasteCard by Natwest which I had to register.) I don't think I'd have done it if I had to give them any card details, but I wanted to make 100% sure that I didn't and that I'm not going to be autorenewed.

I've tried to log in on the email they keep emailing me on (and I'd quite like to stop said emails) but they say the email is invalid! My first email from them is October 2014 so might it have been cancelled in October 2015? Strangely I don't have any emails warning me that my membership is coming to an end, just ones where they try to sell me Tastecard for 1 etc. Did anyone else get a TasteCard via NatWest and remember how long it was for?
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ 19.55/180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ 20.75/180.00
    • vigman
    • By vigman 4th Feb 16, 10:29 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    vigman
    I have checked and see that I asked to cancel my Feb 2015 -2016 trial membership, in time, by email last year.

However, I had another query in this mail about third party use.

On checking they only answered the third party question and never acknowledged my cancellation request.

I have mailed today to see if they cancelled my initial membership and will report back.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 4th Feb 16, 12:25 PM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 24,011 Thanks
    Slinky
    Oh lordy, I've never had a Tastecard and after reading this thread, I never will!
    • Stephen Wilkinson
    • By Stephen Wilkinson 18th Feb 16, 5:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stephen Wilkinson
    I'm wondering what the legalities are regarding "renewal" which the claim is the reason they cannot refund/cancel after taking the payment; If you pay 1 for 90 days then 39.99 for 365 days is a completely different product and surely would require some form of confirmation / agreement to the new terms, it's certainly not a renewal...
    • djp7831
    • By djp7831 26th Feb 16, 7:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    djp7831
    Hi all

I'm in the exact same boat. You'll see my argument with them on Facebook if you visit their wall and look at the comments on the left hand side. This has gained a few messages of support already. They have so far offered me 10 back to which I promptly told them was disgusting and an insult.

Out of principle, I'm going to take this as far as I physically can. If I have no legal case then I will start a campaign instead. I'm never been so disgusted with a company's stubbornness and refusal to refund for a service customers don't want. Especially when I told them the same day I didn't want it and didn't receive any warning they would just take my money.

After 14 days I will go through the ombudsman service. I'm also intending to compile as many dissatisfactions about this increase awareness as much as possible. If they want to steal 40 of my money then I'll make sure its made up for by putting people off of using them.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Feb 16, 9:46 PM
    • 35,607 Posts
    • 19,822 Thanks
    Quentin

.....After 14 days I will go through the ombudsman service. I'm also intending to compile as many dissatisfactions about this increase awareness as much as possible. If they want to steal 40 of my money then I'll make sure its made up for by putting people off of using them.
    Originally posted by djp7831
    Which ombudsman do you have in mind?

If you have had money stolen off you, then most people would report this to the police!

(You were warned this was what would happen when you agreed their ts + cs when getting your card)
    • sgrech
    • By sgrech 6th Mar 16, 10:45 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sgrech
    Hi, what happened with this, did you manage to get your money back?
    • chyllyphylly
    • By chyllyphylly 17th Apr 16, 11:43 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chyllyphylly
    I wish I saw this earlier. I signed up to Tastecard on the 12th on their 3 month for 1 offer. I read that if I didn't cancel by the end of the trial I would be charged the 40.

What I didn't expect is for them to take it out today!!?? I emailed them via PayPal, so hopefully I'll get my money back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,287Posts Today

7,379Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin