Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thozza
    • By thozza 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    • 225Posts
    • 178Thanks
    thozza
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk
    • 7th Dec 14, 1:10 PM
    Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk 7th Dec 14 at 1:10 PM
    There are threads about the prices of most off-grid energy sources on MSE, but I cannot find one about biomass wood pellets, so I thought that I would share my findings.

The below prices are for 10kg or 15kg bagged pellets on a pallet, and are either published internet prices, or phone quotes, prices include VAT at 5%. All are ENplus A1 certified -

http://www.pelletcouncil.org.uk/consumer-information/bagged-pellets

I was surprised how much variation there is between suppliers of bagged pellets and needless to say that my latest delivery has been from Plumb Center. Price per Kw based on 4.8Kw/kg

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 880kg
    Price per pallet - 199.50
    Price per tonne - 226.70

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0472

http://www.forever-fuels.com/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 240.00
    Price per tonne - 244.90

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0510

http://www.land-energy.com/wood-pellets/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - 246.00
    Price per tonne - 246.00
    Price per Kilowatt - 0.0513

http://www.brites.eu/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 1000kg
    Price per pallet - 252.00
    Price per tonne - 252.00

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0525

http://www.woodpellets2u/
    Source - CPL Homefire (Verdo?)
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 249.90
    Price per tonne - 255.00

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0531

http://www.biomassfuel.supplies/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 244.95
    Price per tonne - 255.16

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0532

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Land Energy
    Weight on pallet - 980kg
    Price per pallet - 259.00
    Price per tonne - 264.29

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0551

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/
    Source - Balcas Brites
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - 268.00
    Price per tonne - 274.87

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0573

http://www.verdorenewables.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 269.00
    Price per tonne - 280.21

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0584

https://www.luxurywood.co.uk/
    Source - Verdo
    Weight on pallet - 960kg
    Price per pallet - 269.00
    Price per tonne - 280.21

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0584

http://cjtimber.com/
    Source - Blazers
    Weight on pallet - 1005kg
    Price per pallet - 297.08
    Price per tonne - 295.60

Price per Kilowatt - 0.0616

I understand that bulk prices are lower, hopefully others will be able to add some bulk prices for comparison.
    Last edited by thozza; 07-12-2014 at 1:37 PM.
Page 2
    • thozza
    • By thozza 25th Aug 15, 1:44 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    Thanks for the comment, the price per kWh that I calculated was just to give an indication of the price compared to other forms of heating, my source was The Biomass Energy Centre website, as a comparison, the Notts Energy website uses 4.72 kWh/kg.

The minimum specified for ENplus A1 pellets in EN 14961-2 is 4.6kWh/kg, but as suppliers do not generally publish the test house results it is actually quite difficult to ascertain actual energy content, if, as you suggest, you have access to this data it would be helpful to share it with the forum.

This is a highly ranked thread yet it's dangerous to assume (with all due respect because a lot of effort has gone into the OP's research) that all the above fuels average 4.8kWh/kg. In fact according to ENPLUS A1 standards, the middle ground is 4.95 kWh/kg. It's best to individualise the calculations based upon actual brand specific calorific values. This isn't gas, where its calorific value is measured by the national grid and is the same between all suppliers, selling an homogenous product. Biomass suppliers sell products consisting of a wide variety of species, in different proportions and moisture values. And don't forget product quality!
    As mentioned, all respect to the OP! It must have taken him a lot of time to write this list and im sure it's his wish to see it evolve positively.
    Originally posted by LukasMc
    Last edited by thozza; 25-08-2015 at 1:47 PM.
    • WPG
    • By WPG 28th Aug 15, 8:29 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    Wood Pellet Price Updates
    LC Energy have lowered the price of a full pallet of Brites from 275 to 255, making them the cheapest price that I can find online for Brites. (Next best is currently 256.16 direct from Brites)

Slight increase in the price of Firepower from White Horse Energy, from 215 to 219 a pallet

(sorry, not able to post links)
    • thozza
    • By thozza 28th Aug 15, 9:43 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    here are the links

LC Energy have lowered the price of a full pallet of Brites from 275 to 255, making them the cheapest price that I can find online for Brites. (Next best is currently 256.16 direct from Brites)
    http://lcenergy.co.uk/product/balcas-brites-wood-pellets/

Slight increase in the price of Firepower from White Horse Energy, from 215 to 219 a pallet
    http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/Wood-Pellets/Firepower/Firepower
    Originally posted by WPG
    • thozza
    • By thozza 30th Aug 15, 10:54 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    White Horse Energy are now selling an 'unbranded' pellet, which holds BSL authorisation, but does not have ENPlus A1 certification, although they claim that the pellets do comply with the ENPlus A1 specification.

White Horse Energy
    Source - Unknown
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - 205.00
    Price per tonne - 210.26
    Price per Kilowatt - 0.0438 (based on a nominal 4.8Kw/kg)
    • thozza
    • By thozza 30th Aug 15, 11:14 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    Swift Energy
    Another online supplier with their own branded pellets, certified to EN Plus-A1 standards, and BSL Authorised.

Swift Energy
    Source - Unknown
    Weight on pallet - 975kg
    Price per pallet - 249.00
    Price per tonne - 255.38
    Price per Kilowatt - 0.0532 (based on a nominal 4.8Kw/kg)
    Last edited by thozza; 30-08-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 31st Aug 15, 6:23 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    Wood Pellet energy content differences
    I was intrigued by the comments that LukasMc made earlier in the thread about the differences in energy content between suppliers, so I have done a bit of digging, and unearthed some interesting figures.

The band of difference in the for ENplus A1 pellets in EN 14961-2 is between 4.6kWh/kg and 5.3kWh/kg, meaning that pellets complying with the standard could vary in energy content by more than 15%.

The below suppliers are on the UK market and I have attempted to find the published energy content of their pellets (in descending order), the source of the information is stated, but this is a best effort only, I make no warranty as to the information.

Baltic Biogran Sia
    Brand - Baltic Biogran
    Energy content - 5.0kWh/kg (source: Baltic Biogran website)
    ID-Nr. LV 007
    LV-1015 Riga Latvia
    www.balticbiogran.lv

AKZ Ltd.
    Brand - AKZ & ownbrands - 5.0kWh/kg (source: AKZ website)
    ID-Nr. LV 001
    01048 Riga Latvia
    www.akz.lv

PelTrade!Ltd
    Brand - Sparklets - 4.9kWh/kg (source: Peltrade website)
    ID-Nr. RU 004
    175461 Krestcy Russia
    www.peltrade.com

Laois Sawmill Ltd
    Brand- Greenwood - 4.9kWh/kg (source: Laios Sawmill)
    ID-Nr. IE 001
    Ballymacken, Co. Laois
    www.laoissawmills.ie

Clifford Jones Timber
    Brand- Blazers - 4.9kWh/kg (source: Clifford Jones website)
    ID-Number. UK003
    LL15 2TN Ruthin North Wales
    www.blazersfuels.co.uk

Verdo Renewables Ltd
    Brand- Verdo - 4.8kWh/kg (source: Woodfuel Coop & Oxford Renewables websites)
    ID-Number: UK001
    SP10 3XW Andover
    www.verdorenewables.co.uk

Balcas Timber Ltd.
    Brand - Brites - 4.8kWh/kg (source: Balcas website)
    ID-Number: UK002
    Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, BT94 2FQ
    www.brites.eu

Land Energy Girvan Ltd
    Brand- Woodlets - 4.7kWh/kg (source: presentation on Land Energy website)
    ID-Number: UK004
    Girvan, Ayrshire, KA26 9PF
    www.land-energy.com

Puffin Pellets
    Brand - Puffin - 4.6kWh/kg (source: Puffin Pellets)
    ID-Nr. UK 005
    Insch, AB52 6XP
    www.puffinpellets.com
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 1st Sep 15, 11:43 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    Many thanks to everyone that's added info to this thread, it's been very helpful. Maybe someone in MSE could produce a comparison website for wood pellets & biomass? Doing so may well increase the competition between suppliers. Perhaps one exists already in the UK, but apart from this thread the only one I've seen is in the US.

One aspect that I'm curious about is customer service. I'm tempted to use White Horse as they look to have the best prices and their web site is well constructed / informative, plus I got a very quick email response about the availability of 'Fire Power' pellets (back again tonight apparently). Does anyone have views on WHE, or others for that matter?
    Last edited by cancunia; 01-09-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 1st Sep 15, 12:00 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    Wood pellet price comparison website
    Many thanks to everyone that's added info to this thread, it's been very helpful. Maybe someone in MSE could produce a comparison website for wood pellets & biomass? Doing so may well increase the competition between suppliers. Perhaps one exists already in the UK, but apart from this thread the only one I've seen is in the US.
    Originally posted by cancunia
    Funny you should mention that, I came across this site at the weekend:-

http://woodpelletguide.uk/

Which seems to have a fair number of suppliers prices on it, does not seem to have any commercial links either.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 1st Sep 15, 1:13 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    That site looks interesting and does also look to be mostly free from commercial links apart from some brief references to a local heating firm that the site builder used. It's an excellent starting off point all the same.

Looks like prices are on the rise though, 'Luxury Wood Co' prices have jumped from what looks to be 219 on the woodpellet guide site to 259 on the LWC site for a pallet of Baltic Biogran pellets, which are from the same place as WHE Platinum + pellets.

Update:
    I called LWC after seeing their prices had risen, it seems that 219 was yesterday's price for 'Baltic Biogran' and they are now offering 'AKZ' at 219. I guess the Woodpellet guide will reflect this tomorrow. AKZ come from the same supplier as WHE 'Fire Power' so a maybe the same thing.
    Last edited by cancunia; 01-09-2015 at 2:08 PM.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 1st Sep 15, 2:47 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    5% White Horse Discount Code
    In case anyone's interested, you can use this code for a 5% discount (I get a credit on my account too apparently). The code can be used at stage 4 of the checkout process.

WayKei16152

or follow this link..

http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/coupon?code=WayKei16152

• WPG
    • By WPG 1st Sep 15, 4:41 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    Wood Pellet Guide is the site I'm currently building. it's still under construction but the main price comparison section is working well and I think covers most of the major UK suppliers.

I'm hoping to add some more features (supplier/pellet reviews, more technical data etc) in the near future, but it's an entirely non-commercial project that I work on in my spare time, so progress isn't always quite as rapid as i'd like.

Would welcome any comments or suggestions that anyone has (good or bad!)
    • WPG
    • By WPG 1st Sep 15, 4:49 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    That site looks interesting and does also look to be mostly free from commercial links apart from some brief references to a local heating firm that the site builder used. It's an excellent starting off point all the same.

Looks like prices are on the rise though, 'Luxury Wood Co' prices have jumped from what looks to be 219 on the woodpellet guide site to 259 on the LWC site for a pallet of Baltic Biogran pellets, which are from the same place as WHE Platinum + pellets.

Update:
    I called LWC after seeing their prices had risen, it seems that 219 was yesterday's price for 'Baltic Biogran' and they are now offering 'AKZ' at 219. I guess the Woodpellet guide will reflect this tomorrow. AKZ come from the same supplier as WHE 'Fire Power' so a maybe the same thing.
    It looks like they've put the price up this morning as the automated check that runs first thing still picked it up at 219 (the lunchtime check has picked up the new price)

Unfortunately I don't have stats going that far back, but if I remember correctly prices did seem to start to rise around this time last year, so it's probably not a bad time to stock up.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 1st Sep 15, 4:50 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    WPG, your site is just what was needed, many thanks for putting it together.
    Customer service feedback for suppliers is always subjective, and potentially open to some forms of abuse, but can be helpful all the same. One of the criteria I used when selecting pellets today was the CO2 emissions, energy output was also a factor.
    • WPG
    • By WPG 1st Sep 15, 5:03 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    I've only placed 6 or 7 orders so far (although from a number of different suppliers) and the thing that's made the biggest difference is the delivery driver, but as I think they've pretty much all come through the same haulage company, it's really luck of the draw who the driver is and how helpful he's feeling on the day.

Cancunia, sorry, a bit late now it looks like you've already ordered, but I've had Verdo pellets in the past from White Horse and haven't had any issues with them.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 1st Sep 15, 5:24 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia

Cancunia, sorry, a bit late now it looks like you've already ordered, but I've had Verdo pellets in the past from White Horse and haven't had any issues with them.
    Originally posted by WPG
    No probs WPG, in fact I did use White Horse, based on a few factors and used their comparison for some guidance:
    http://www.whitehorseenergy.co.uk/Wood-Pellet-Comparison
    The interesting thing to me is their quoting the ENPlus number which tells you the supplier name & location. It shows how open WHE appear to be.

Added that to Thoza's handy league table and your prices, together with the speedy feedback I got from WHE via emails.

The only thing that stopped me buying WHE's 'FirePower' pellets was the CO2 content as I feel slightly guilty about buying stuff that comes from the other side of the Baltic and wondered what else may be getting deposited in my chimney at the same time.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 1st Sep 15, 7:25 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    The only thing that stopped me buying WHE's 'FirePower' pellets was the CO2 content as I feel slightly guilty about buying stuff that comes from the other side of the Baltic and wondered what else may be getting deposited in my chimney at the same time.
    You might be interested to read the analysis on Forever Fuels website about emissions for Latvian pellets, they make the argument that emissions are comparative, as they are wood waste dried and have a much lower CO2 emissions from shipping than road.

http://www.forever-fuels.com/content/has-ship-sailed-suppliers-without-storage,

also this page on a theoretical Swedish shipment to Okehampton:

http://www.forever-fuels.com/content/carbon-footprint-wood-pellets

Of course any calculation depends on how far you live from the port of entry or the point of manufacture for road hauled, but in any case pellets are a factor lower in emissions than oil or gas.
    • cancunia
    • By cancunia 2nd Sep 15, 8:50 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cancunia
    You might be interested to read the analysis on Forever Fuels website about emissions for Latvian pellets, they make the argument that emissions are comparative, as they are wood waste dried and have a much lower CO2 emissions from shipping than road.
    Originally posted by thozza
    Apologies to others if I go too far off topic here.

I did actually buy Latvian pellets - Platinum Plus.

My original concern around CO2 was that the FirePower (AKZ) pellets apparently have a higher CO2 emission than the Baltic Biogran pellets and also that I was buying pellets from the Baltic as opposed to those produced somewhere in the UK, thereby increasing the carbon footprint of my pellets and potentially putting more smoke into my chimney.
    Given the Freedom fuels analysis on shipping, I'm now comfortable that pellets coming from the Baltic now have an acceptably low additional carbon footprint from shipping and depending on where they land in the UK may have a similar carbon footprint to those produced more locally.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 3rd Sep 15, 12:54 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    Traded/wholesale bulk wood pellet costs
    I thought it might be interesting to look at the wholesale or traded costs for imported bulk woodpellets (i.e. buying tonnes at a time) as an indication of the actual costs of woodpellets before packing, delivery etc.

Argus Media publish a Weekly Biomass newsletter with bulk prices, as it is by subscription, I can only access a sample from January this year, so this information is 9 months old (although forward prices at that point were not forecast to move much).

For 3,500T of pellets shipped from the Baltic or Portugal to the UK, prices were around 97/T plus 13/T shipping, giving a landed cost of around 110/T.

Pallet delivery costs to the final customer will add another 20-30 to this, giving a lowest final delivered cost of 130/T, to this will need to be added any packaging and handling costs.

The delivered price of the cheapest bagged pellets is 210/T giving the trader a margin of some 80/T if they were located at the importing port.

Of course all these calculations are rough, and additional information would help to refine them.
    Last edited by thozza; 03-09-2015 at 3:04 PM.
    • WPG
    • By WPG 7th Sep 15, 7:41 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    WPG
    Price Updates
    There have been a few price changes recently, and have also updated the Wood Pellet Guide website to include cost per kWh, so here's the latest "top 10" (ordered by Price/kWh):-

1. AKZ from Luxury Wood Company
    219.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 224.62
    Price / kWh : 4.49p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

2. Firepower from White Horse Energy
    219.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 224.62
    Price / kWh : 4.49p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

3. WHE Unbranded from White Horse Energy
    215.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 220.51
    Price / kWh : 4.59p - (4.8kWh/kg - Assumed, no value available)
    BSL certified
    NOT ENplus certified

4. Platinum Plus from White Horse Energy
    229.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 234.87
    Price / kWh : 4.70p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

5. Sparklets from Premier Pellets
    225.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 230.77
    Price / kWh : 4.71p - (4.9kWh/kg)
    NOT BSL certified
    ENplus A1

6. DHLPL from Durham Heat Logs & Pellets
    220.00 for 960kg
    Price / Tonne : 229.17
    Price / kWh : 4.77p - (4.8kWh/kg - Assumed, no value available)
    BSL certified
    NOT ENplus certified

7. Premier Fuel from Premier Pellets
    230.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 235.90
    Price / kWh : 4.80p - (4.91kWh/kg)
    NOT BSL certified
    NOT ENplus certified

8. AKZ from Premier Pellets
    235.00 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 241.03
    Price / kWh : 4.82p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

9. Greenwood from LC Energy
    239.00 for 990kg
    Price / Tonne : 241.41
    Price / kWh : 4.93p - (4.9kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

10. Swift Energy from Swift Energy
    249.90 for 975kg
    Price / Tonne : 256.31
    Price / kWh : 5.13p - (5kWh/kg)
    BSL certified
    ENplus A1

Many thanks to thozza and cancunia for the feedback and additional info.

Unfortunately I'm still too new to post links, but all of the above should be easy to find via google (or through the link to the woodpelletguide website a few posts back)
    • thozza
    • By thozza 14th Sep 15, 10:00 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    thozza
    Unfortunately I'm still too new to post links, but all of the above should be easy to find via google (or through the link to the woodpelletguide website a few posts back)
    Originally posted by WPG
    The site is

http://woodpelletguide.uk/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter