Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save £1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 253
    • ddks
    • By ddks 13th Feb 18, 8:33 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    If there is no right of appeal to a Tribunal, the VOA can simply say they believe the current band is correct if they do not consider evidence provided proved otherwise. There is no legislation that says they have to explain themselves although I consider it unprofessional not to do so.

A senior colleague said to me many years ago that the VOA were under no obligation to provide evidence to a Tribunal (although obviously it would be sensible to do so) but could just state that in their professional and considered opinion the disputed band was correct.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Thatís awful! That opens up to so much manipulation for the benefit of the agency.

I spoke to a local resident who had lived in their property for over 3 years and believed his banding was incorrect. He had an invalidity notice & put in an appeal at VTS. So no legal right, as he had been the owner for more than 6 months but before the hearing they reduced his banding! So why the submission in those circumstances??
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710

I spoke to a local resident who had lived in their property for over 3 years and believed his banding was incorrect. He had an invalidity notice & put in an appeal at VTS. So no legal right, as he had been the owner for more than 6 months but before the hearing they reduced his banding! So why the submission in those circumstances??
    Originally posted by ddks
    The VOA are obliged to investigate any request for a band reduction. The level of investigation will depend on many factors. It could be a cursory glance or it could be a thorough investigation which may take several hours. Or quite possibly it seemed very obvious the band was incorrect. Where there is no clear answer, it can often depend on the mindset of the caseworker.

Some years ago a colleague had to take over cases usually dealt with by another office as that caseworker was away for several months. My colleague reduced quite a few bands. Upon their return to work the caseworker promptly increased all the bands which had been incorrectly reduced in their opinion.
    • Kerrylisa
    • By Kerrylisa 14th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kerrylisa
    Question about borderline band
    If my estimated 1991 valuation is only £150 within the band C, is it worth contacting the council to check if I should be in band B? From my research online it seems all houses along my road were put in band C.
    Would appreciate any advice on this.
    Btw, this is my first time on the forum
    Last edited by Kerrylisa; 14-02-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    • ddks
    • By ddks 14th Feb 18, 7:04 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    The VOA are obliged to investigate any request for a band reduction. The level of investigation will depend on many factors. It could be a cursory glance or it could be a thorough investigation which may take several hours. Or quite possibly it seemed very obvious the band was incorrect. Where there is no clear answer, it can often depend on the mindset of the caseworker.

Some years ago a colleague had to take over cases usually dealt with by another office as that caseworker was away for several months. My colleague reduced quite a few bands. Upon their return to work the caseworker promptly increased all the bands which had been incorrectly reduced in their opinion.
    So a subjective rather than objective viewpoint. How do you issues like this get readdressed? There must a route to get these issues resolved, especially where there is no right of appeal?
    • ddks
    • By ddks 14th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    If my estimated 1991 valuation is only £150 within the band C, is it worth contacting the council to check if I should be in band B? From my research online it seems all houses along my road were put in band C.
    Originally posted by Kerrylisa
    Hi, if you are using a house price index, it will not be sufficient. You really need to be looking at house prices from 91. Local library for old newspapers.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    So a subjective rather than objective viewpoint. How do you issues like this get readdressed? There must a route to get these issues resolved, especially where there is no right of appeal?
    There is no route. You can contact the VOA again, but it is doubtful you would receive what you would consider a satisfactory resolution.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Originally posted by Kerrylisa
    From experience house price indices are about 10% too low on 1991 prices. If you want to query your CT band you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency (Eng and Wales) Assessor (Scot) not thye council.
    • ddks
    • By ddks 15th Feb 18, 7:10 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    There is no route. You can contact the VOA again, but it is doubtful you would receive what you would consider a satisfactory resolution.
    Lincroft- should we be considering the number of reception room and number of bedrooms?
    Property A - 5 bed double grg - 189m2 sold 137k in 91
    Property B - 4 bed double grg - 169m2 sold 137k in 90

Would a corner plot have any affect on house prices in 91 or is that a myth?

Thanks
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Lincroft- should we be considering the number of reception room and number of bedrooms?
    Property A - 5 bed double grg - 189m2 sold 137k in 91
    Property B - 4 bed double grg - 169m2 sold 137k in 90

Would a corner plot have any affect on house prices in 91 or is that a myth?

Thanks
    VOA tend to work on size rather than number of beds/recep. Corner plot may add something to value, but unlikely VOA would band a corner plot differently from non corner.
    • mustafa
    • By mustafa 18th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mustafa
    renting council tax
    Hi, I found a question (then lost it) on value or sale price, since then i have also seen that house prices dipped by 30% 1991 to 1994.
    Did the checks and property was valued at £66,000 in 1991 but was sold in April 1996 for £61,000. In our very close area we have 44 bungalows on band C with a few others and ours in band D
    Nearly all are 2 bed bungalows and we are paying the same as 3 bedroom semi houses. Not sure if this is relevent people live in a 3 bedroom detached 2 doors away and is currently worth £130K more than ours.
    This is a 2 bedroom bungalow which has had a concervatory and a dormer bedroom (not sure when ) but still has 2 beds with the stairs up to dormer taking the space of the old bedroom.
    Would this take us into Band D.
    Thanks. Opinions would be great.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi, I found a question (then lost it) on value or sale price, since then i have also seen that house prices dipped by 30% 1991 to 1994.
    Did the checks and property was valued at £66,000 in 1991 but was sold in April 1996 for £61,000. In our very close area we have 44 bungalows on band C with a few others and ours in band D
    Nearly all are 2 bed bungalows and we are paying the same as 3 bedroom semi houses. Not sure if this is relevent people live in a 3 bedroom detached 2 doors away and is currently worth £130K more than ours.
    This is a 2 bedroom bungalow which has had a concervatory and a dormer bedroom (not sure when ) but still has 2 beds with the stairs up to dormer taking the space of the old bedroom.
    Would this take us into Band D.
    Thanks. Opinions would be great.
    Originally posted by mustafa
    It will depend on the actual sales evidence from 1991 (not a value calculated from a sale at a later date). Without knowing that evidence it is impossible to decide whether or not Band D is correct. The comparison with the property 2 doors away is not relevant, dissimilar houses will be in the same band because of the band width.

If you believe your band is wrong, appeal if you are inside 6 month time limit, or ask for a band review, if outside it.
    • mustafa
    • By mustafa 18th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mustafa
    Thanks, what concerns me at the moment is that 3 of the 44 2 bedroom bungalows very close have improvement markers and are still in band C along with 41 others?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Thanks, what concerns me at the moment is that 3 of the 44 2 bedroom bungalows very close have improvement markers and are still in band C along with 41 others?
    Originally posted by mustafa
    Until those bungalows are sold their bands will not and cannot be reviewed on account of improvements carried out by the current owners.
    • mustafa
    • By mustafa 19th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mustafa
    Thanks again, sorry to keep banging on, According to MSE calculator the price of this bungalow was £66,029. Which is within the Band C 52 to 68K
    Does that work both ways? This property has not been sold since 1996 with improvements made by the current owners.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 19th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Calculators should not be relied on, as they can only give approximate valuations. If the current owners have made improvements, it would suggest the value would be higher.
    • ddks
    • By ddks 24th Feb 18, 12:54 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    Lincroft - looking at the sales evidence in our area it appears that a new build premium was in the region of 10-12% as at 1991 prices and an additional garage would have been approx £12,405
    I kept coming up with a figure of £24,000 but that's because house prices in the area were on the rise rather than falling!
    Does that sound about right to you?
    Thanks
    • rabbitlover
    • By rabbitlover 24th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rabbitlover
    It makes me a bit frustrated: houses round here have been improved/extended a lot, but still remain in the same band my house is in. I know that is the way it works, but just seems unfair to me.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Lincroft - looking at the sales evidence in our area it appears that a new build premium was in the region of 10-12% as at 1991 prices and an additional garage would have been approx £12,405
    I kept coming up with a figure of £24,000 but that's because house prices in the area were on the rise rather than falling!
    Does that sound about right to you?
    Thanks
    Difficult to say. In the areas I worked, house prices peaked in about 1988/89 then fell until 1995/96 after which they quickly rose reaching 1991 levels in 1997/98. I seem to remember colleagues talking about 10% new house premium but cannot remember if there was evidence to back this up.
    • ddks
    • By ddks 24th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    Difficult to say. In the areas I worked, house prices peaked in about 1988/89 then fell until 1995/96 after which they quickly rose reaching 1991 levels in 1997/98. I seem to remember colleagues talking about 10% new house premium but cannot remember if there was evidence to back this up.
    I can only see & prove a 5% new build premium from a sale in 1990 compared to a 1991 sale of an identical property.
    The remainder of the second hand sales within each area, with no adjustments brings me back to £24,000 for an additional garage - the properties have no conservatories, no large gardens!

The larger new estate was approx £6,000 cheaper than exiting properties in the area.

Sales of estate properties (new or second hand) with single garages (integral or detached) up to 150m2 show a max of £79,950!

Property prices were on the way up in the area.

The only properties that were over £88,000 were infill plots. I can understand that these have individuality compared to estate developments.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Feb 18, 8:21 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I can only see & prove a 5% new build premium from a sale in 1990 compared to a 1991 sale of an identical property.
    The remainder of the second hand sales within each area, with no adjustments brings me back to £24,000 for an additional garage - the properties have no conservatories, no large gardens!

The larger new estate was approx £6,000 cheaper than exiting properties in the area.

Sales of estate properties (new or second hand) with single garages (integral or detached) up to 150m2 show a max of £79,950!

Property prices were on the way up in the area.

The only properties that were over £88,000 were infill plots. I can understand that these have individuality compared to estate developments.
    There is little more I can say. Prices in your area were behaving very differently to the areas I am familiar with, and any further comment would be pure guesswork on my part
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,861Users online

Martin's Twitter