Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anthony Cochrane
    • By Anthony Cochrane 14th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Anthony Cochrane
    Virgin money
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:37 AM
    Virgin money 14th Feb 18 at 10:37 AM
    What is the best Virgin money stocks & shares isa investment ?
    Last edited by Anthony Cochrane; 14-02-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Wrong plan
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 14th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 5,242 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:48 AM
    What is the best Tesco food?

Hard to say if we don't know whether you are a granny from Grimsby or a hod carrier from Hull
    • Anthony Cochrane
    • By Anthony Cochrane 14th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anthony Cochrane
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    Opinion
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    Don't want to invest in Tesco !
    • stephenadarglas
    • By stephenadarglas 14th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    stephenadarglas
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    What coldiron means in his way is we need to know your age profile, attitude to risk and current debts etc. before anyone can give you an informative answer.
    • stephenadarglas
    • By stephenadarglas 14th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    stephenadarglas
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    ........................ and a big welcome to the forum too!!!!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    In addition to the above, why Virgin Money?
    • verybigchris
    • By verybigchris 14th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    verybigchris
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    None of them. Virgin Money's investments all have excessive fees. They used to do decent cashback offers, so in theory it was worthwhile for some people to invest the minimum amount for the minimum time, get the payout and then sell-up, but they seem to have stopped that now.
    • firestone
    • By firestone 14th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    firestone
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    What is the best Virgin money stocks & shares isa investment ?
    Originally posted by Anthony Cochrane
    hi- unless you are tied in & must use Virgin i think most people would look at another provider as the charges on their own funds are very high i.e UK Trackers at 1% would not be recommend by many on this site i would guess
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 14th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    HHarry
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    I had a Virgin Mney FTSE All-share ISA for a while - This is not a recommendation.

Whilst the fees are around 4x higher than other providers, it was very simple as a newcomer to investing and served it's purpose. Now that I know more I've moved it elsewhere to take advantage of lower fees.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I had a Virgin Mney FTSE All-share ISA for a while - This is not a recommendation.

Whilst the fees are around 4x higher than other providers, it was very simple as a newcomer to investing and served it's purpose. Now that I know more I've moved it elsewhere to take advantage of lower fees.
    Originally posted by HHarry
    There are plenty of other "simple" options with significantly lower fees. If the OP provides a bit more detail then I'm sure they will get many suggestions.
    • Anthony Cochrane
    • By Anthony Cochrane 14th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Anthony Cochrane
    My work colleague has virgin money bond,gilts UK& oversea share fund and he has do very well especially in the last couple of years ! I am 69 retired and like low to medium risk ?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    My work colleague has virgin money bond,gilts UK& oversea share fund and he has do very well especially in the last couple of years ! I am 69 retired and like low to medium risk ?
    Originally posted by Anthony Cochrane
    Your friend has "done well" because the last couple of years have seen a bull market, not because there is anything special about Virgin Money. It would have been difficult for him to have done badly during that period. He has, however, paid way over the odds for his returns, and would almost certainly have done better elsewhere if for no other reason than the lower costs.

You still need to give us more information to go on. What is the purpose of your investment? What is the time frame? How much are you planning to invest? Will you add to this regularly?
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 14-02-2018 at 3:02 PM.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 14th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    IanManc
    It would have been difficult for him to have done badly during that period.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    Unless he'd followed Woodford.

*runs*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,627Posts Today

7,227Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin