Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnnyFireblade
    • By JohnnyFireblade 14th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JohnnyFireblade
    Checking if I had mis-sold PPI
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    Checking if I had mis-sold PPI 14th Feb 18 at 7:45 AM
    Hi, all.
    I've definitely had PPI in the past, but don't know if I was mis-sold it or not. I've had loans and credit cards since 2000.
    Is the best bet to write to lenders and ask if I was mis-sold PPI? Watching Martin's video, I'm certain I wasn't asked about any pre-existing conditions. I remember it being just a tick box on the form.
    I ran a free credit check to find out which lenders I've used in the past, but this is only checking my current and previous address, but no further. Is this the best way to go about digging in to my credit history?
    Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 20,133 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    Is the best bet to write to lenders and ask if I was mis-sold PPI?
    Originally posted by JohnnyFireblade
    No.
    You have to provide your own (preferably verifiable) reasons that any PPI you had was mis-sold.

Remember, it is not somehow wrong simply to have insurance, so if you want it refunded you have to show in what way it was unsuitable for you or how you were misled during the sale process.

I'm certain I wasn't asked about any pre-existing conditions.
    Did you actually suffer from any such "existing conditions" though? If not, no point complaining about it.
    • JohnnyFireblade
    • By JohnnyFireblade 14th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnnyFireblade
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    Thanks for the clarification. I've been very confused by all the hubbub around PPI, so it's helpful to clear things up.

Any time I've had PPI, I've been physically fine and employed, so on that basis it sounds like I probably wasn't mis-sold anything.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 20,133 Posts
    • 11,077 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    Any time I've had PPI, I've been physically fine and employed, so on that basis it sounds like I probably wasn't mis-sold anything.
    There are several other mis-sale reasons which you might consider. Plenty of advice available here on the forum and on the main site..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

2,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin