Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 13th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Michaelw
    EON caught wrongly telling customers they NEED to
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    EON caught wrongly telling customers they NEED to 13th Feb 18 at 11:32 PM
    BIG SIX energy firm E.on is falsely sending letters and texts telling their customers they “need” to upgrade their gas and electricity meters to a smart meter.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/918388/EON-shambles-smart-meter-government-11m-scheme-OFGEM
Page 1
    • nicobrum
    • By nicobrum 14th Feb 18, 12:20 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    nicobrum
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:20 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:20 AM
    Nice to see The Express quick on the uptake ... posted by MSE on here on 29 Jan - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5785383&highlight=eon.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    E.ON Smart Meters
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    BIG SIX energy firm E.on is falsely sending letters and texts telling their customers they “need” to upgrade their gas and electricity meters to a smart meter.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/918388/EON-shambles-smart-meter-government-11m-scheme-OFGEM
    Originally posted by Michaelw
    Morning Michaelw and as nicobrum says, this was covered a couple of weeks ago in the post linked to above. Thanks nicobrum. Thought it might help to go over some of the comments I made on that thread.

Smart Meters are definitely optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them installed. We do mention this on our website (smart meter pages). In line with our commitment to Ofgem, we'll be contacting all of our customers between now and 2020 to offer smart meters and to talk about the benefits of having them like the impact on estimated bills. This will be through various methods including by letter and text. As I say, these offers can be refused.

Thought I'd also mention, customers can let us know at any time if they don't want to continue receiving contact about our smart programme.

I've forwarded the relevant Forum threads and posts to senior management. I'll forward this one too.

Sorry for repeating previous comments.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 5,739 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    Morning Michaelw and as nicobrum says, this was covered a couple of weeks ago in the post linked to above. Thanks nicobrum. Thought it might help to go over some of the comments I made on that thread.

Smart Meters are definitely optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them installed. We do mention this on our website (smart meter pages). In line with our commitment to Ofgem, we'll be contacting all of our customers between now and 2020 to offer smart meters and to talk about the benefits of having them like the impact on estimated bills. This will be through various methods including by letter and text. As I say, these offers can be refused.

Thought I'd also mention, customers can let us know at any time if they don't want to continue receiving contact about our smart programme.

I've forwarded the relevant Forum threads and posts to senior management. I'll forward this one too.

Sorry for repeating previous comments.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Malc - good morning. Rather than going round and round in circles on this matter, perhaps you would like to copy and paste changes to the letter that E.oN is now sending out inviting customers to accept a smart meter.

I suspect that nothing has been changed as there appear to be two separate agendas running here. In its response to the Helm Cost of Energy Review, Ofgem has just responded and sent along with its response a copy of its 2017/2018 WorkPlan which states:

Quote: Energy suppliers must aim to roll out smart meters to all of their domestic and small business customer by the end of 2020. Unquote

I would suggest that Ofgem's objective is markedly different from that set by Ministers. I say Ministers as Ofgem is a non- Ministerial Government Department in its own right.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 14th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    Strictly speaking the word "need " is not an order or a directive , more of a suggestion.Like saying you "need " to stop smoking .They would have gone as close as possible in the advert without using a word which meant "obligatory "
    Whatever Eon suggest with my property I don`t "need " an appalling cheap and nasty Secure Liberty meter in my property and Eon will not be installing a smart meter until they come to their senses and buy proper smart meters such as Landys Gyrs or Elster. They should not be insulting their customers with tat like Secure products.
    As I am currently an Eon customer I will be most probably switching around for the next few years hopefully so their smart meter will quickly become dumb and I don`t fancy being lumbered with something which is a large backward step in metering. This is out of principle to the customers who I meet most days who can t make head or tail of this meter.
    I thought Germans were supposed to be sensible and use better products than a £35 smart meter made for small businesses only in Udaipur India. Domestic properties in the UK never need the KVarh reading which the Secure meter shows on screen 5 . That alone is a recipe for a messed up reading
    Last edited by House Martin; 20-04-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    E.ON Smart Meters
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    Malc - good morning. Rather than going round and round in circles on this matter, perhaps you would like to copy and paste changes to the letter that E.oN is now sending out inviting customers to accept a smart meter.

I suspect that nothing has been changed as there appear to be two separate agendas running here. In its response to the Helm Cost of Energy Review, Ofgem has just responded and sent along with its response a copy of its 2017/2018 WorkPlan which states:

Quote: Energy suppliers must aim to roll out smart meters to all of their domestic and small business customer by the end of 2020. Unquote

I would suggest that Ofgem's objective is markedly different from that set by Ministers. I say Ministers as Ofgem is a non- Ministerial Government Department in its own right.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    To be honest Hengus, I haven't seen recent letters. I've just asked the area responsible for an update and will let you know more once they come back to me.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Wild_Rover
    • By Wild_Rover 14th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 17,634 Thanks
    Wild_Rover
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    As we are all encouraged to look at switching suppliers every time we can, my priority is to get the best deal, not to arrange my house to suit the energy suppliers.

When ALL suppliers allowed to operate in the UK have smart meters that can be used by ALL other suppliers, I'll think about it. It is beyond belief that this is not already the case. Until then, no thanks.

WR
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire
    Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? RG. Ingersol
    I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously. D Adams
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 16th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 1:25 PM

Originally posted by Hengus
    Hi Hengus,

I just wanted to let you know that Malc is off today, but he will update you as soon as he can.

Thank you

Helena
    • 19th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    E.ON Smart Meter Letters
    • 19th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    Hello Hengus and sorry this has dragged on.

I've just received confirmation that we've recently added new wording to our smart meter letters to make it clear to customers that they don't have to have these meters installed if they prefer not to.

We send two types of smart meter letter. One offers a smart meter upgrade and the second is where we need to carry out a statutory change as the current meter is nearing the end of its guaranteed lifespan. We're looking to have both types of letter updated with the new wording by the end of this month.

Sorry again for the delay Hengus.

Malc
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 19th Apr 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    I have today received a letter from E-On saying my electric meter needs changing because of its age, they do say that a smart meter is an option. but not compulsory.
    However something has gone wrong some where as my meter has a label showing ID as B04 followed by a number of digits. I looked up meter IDs and this seems to confirm my meter was recalibrated in 2004.
    I wonder if when the meter was recalibrated in 2004 the company failed to update their records and the original ID which is indeed over 30 years ( this is the meter ID shown on my account.)

Malc I do not want a new meter nor if I am correct I don’t need one, can you advise what I can do ?
    E.ON Statutory Meter Exchange
    I have today received a letter from E-On saying my electric meter needs changing because of its age, they do say that a smart meter is an option. but not compulsory.
    However something has gone wrong some where as my meter has a label showing ID as B04 followed by a number of digits. I looked up meter IDs and this seems to confirm my meter was recalibrated in 2004.
    I wonder if when the meter was recalibrated in 2004 the company failed to update their records and the original ID which is indeed over 30 years ( this is the meter ID shown on my account.)

Malc I do not want a new meter nor if I am correct I don’t need one, can you advise what I can do ?
    Originally posted by FOREVER21
    Hello FOREVER21 and it's good you've received a letter making clear smart meters are optional. As above, we're looking to complete the roll out of the new wording by the end of this month.

Depending on the make, electricity meters are designed to last between 10 and 30 years. Once they reach the end of their guaranteed lifespan they need to be changed so we can be sure of their safety and accuracy. This is why it's important to carry out this work.

These jobs are looked after by the Meter Operator for the area. Although we may supply your home, we might not be the Meter Operator. If this is the case, you'll have received a letter with a contact phone number on.

These exchanges do need to happen but, as you're eligible for a smart meter, you can turn this down if you wish. If you do, we'll fit a classic/traditional meter instead.

Sorry I can't give you what you're asking for FOREVER21 but for reasons of safety and accuracy, it's really important these exchanges are done.

Malc
    • nicobrum
    • By nicobrum 25th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    nicobrum
    I see EON, having been pulled up for incorrectly telling customers they had to have a smart meter installed when changing meters, have now changed tact. The cheapest current new tariff launched I think yesterday (which for me is a lot more expensive anyway) means I would have to agree to have a Smart Meter installed unless they find they cannot install one. Otherwise I have to choose a more expensive tariff. Having last week post dated a change to GoOnline v11 for the beginning of June, its not an issue for me before June 2019.

But now those of us who would prefer not to have one installed for a variety of reasons will find we have to pay more or agree to an installation. Something tells me EON could find themselves losing a lot of customers to other suppliers when their tariffs expire if this policy continues. I thought the government's policy was that you had to be offered one not that you had to have one installed or pay more. I appreciate this was likely to happen at some point but it seems to be a bit premature if SMETS1 meters are still being installed which go dumb if you change suppliers.
    Last edited by nicobrum; 25-04-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 25th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Agree broadly with post #12.
    Wonder what would happen if one signs up to one of these SMART meter only tariffs, having already got a SMETS1 installation from another supplier ? Are EON going to "send the boys in" to change one (not so) SMART meter for another ?? MORE unnecessary costs
    E.ON Tariffs
    I see EON, having been pulled up for incorrectly telling customers they had to have a smart meter installed when changing meters, have now changed tact. The cheapest current new tariff launched I think yesterday (which for me is a lot more expensive anyway) means I would have to agree to have a Smart Meter installed unless they find they cannot install one. Otherwise I have to choose a more expensive tariff. Having last week post dated a change to GoOnline v11 for the beginning of June, its not an issue for me before June 2019.

But now those of us who would prefer not to have one installed for a variety of reasons will find we have to pay more or agree to an installation. Something tells me EON could find themselves losing a lot of customers to other suppliers when their tariffs expire if this policy continues. I thought the government's policy was that you had to be offered one not that you had to have one installed or pay more. I appreciate this was likely to happen at some point but it seems to be a bit premature if SMETS1 meters are still being installed which go dumb if you change suppliers.
    Originally posted by nicobrum
    Hello nicobrum and you're right. At the moment, the Smart Saver version 3 is our cheapest tariff. We're currently reviewing all our products and will update the website as and when new tariffs are released/withdrawn.

With the Smart Saver tariffs, customers agree to be contacted about having a smart meter. Where smart meters are already in place, we may still make contact to see if an upgrade is needed. Customers will be able to stay on this tariff if we aren't able to fit smart meters.

Smart meters aren't mandatory and customers can decline having one fitted even though they're on a smart saver tariff.

I'm glad you were able to make use of the forward switching tool on our website. It's a great way of making sure you stay on preferred prices for the maximum amount of time whilst not missing out on future deals.

Malc
    E.ON Smart Saver Tariffs
    Agree broadly with post #12.
    Wonder what would happen if one signs up to one of these SMART meter only tariffs, having already got a SMETS1 installation from another supplier ? Are EON going to "send the boys in" to change one (not so) SMART meter for another ?? MORE unnecessary costs
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Hello brewerdave and, as above, customers signing up to our Smart Saver tariffs but who already have a smart meter may still be contacted. This is where we believe an upgrade is needed.

Malc
    • nicobrum
    • By nicobrum 25th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    nicobrum
    Smart meters aren't mandatory and customers can decline having one fitted even though they're on a smart saver tariff.
    Interesting Malc, I hadn't read the bit about being contact about a smart meter in quite that way. I shall keep that in mind for future tariffs.

As I've said previously on the forum, the only real benefit for me to switch would be to get my (to me) legacy Eco7 meter switched for a single reading meter as I don't need Eco7 as I have gas central heating. I'm assuming that could be done as part of a switch to a smart meter rather than me having to pay for the change or would I have to just have an Eco7 smart meter (don't think I've asked this before)?
    E.ON Metering
    Interesting Malc, I hadn't read the bit about being contact about a smart meter in quite that way. I shall keep that in mind for future tariffs.

As I've said previously on the forum, the only real benefit for me to switch would be to get my (to me) legacy Eco7 meter switched for a single reading meter as I don't need Eco7 as I have gas central heating. I'm assuming that could be done as part of a switch to a smart meter rather than me having to pay for the change or would I have to just have an Eco7 smart meter (don't think I've asked this before)?
    Originally posted by nicobrum
    Morning nicobrum and, yes, this can be done. You'll need to specifically request this when arranging an appointment for a smart meter.

Usually, with meter exchanges, the same type of meter that's already at the property will be fitted unless we're told differently. If you do talk to us about smart meters and decide to have them please ask for a single rate at this point. There's no charge to have smart meters fitted.

Hope this helps.

Malc
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 26th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 4,845 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Hello brewerdave and, as above, customers signing up to our Smart Saver tariffs but who already have a smart meter may still be contacted. This is where we believe an upgrade is needed.

Malc
    Sorry Malc.....but why would you contact someone who already has a smart meter to upgrade? The meters are unlikely to be "end of life" so the ONLY upgrade I can see,would be to fit fully interchangeable SMETS2 meters, which ,I'm led to believe, is not happening yet on any significant scale.
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Sorry Malc.....but why would you contact someone who already has a smart meter to upgrade? The meters are unlikely to be "end of life" so the ONLY upgrade I can see,would be to fit fully interchangeable SMETS2 meters, which ,I'm led to believe, is not happening yet on any significant scale.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Hello brewerdave.

Our smart meter programme is developing all the time and customers signing up to the Smart Saver tariff agree we can talk to them about these meters. We might not need to particularly if they're currently not eligible or already have smart meters and don't need an upgrade.

Upgrades could mean a new meter (SMETS2) or, if possible, remote upgrades to existing SMETS1 meters to either restore smart features or allow customers to switch supplier and remain smart. It depends on the individual circumstances.

Hope this explains brewerdave.

Malc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,167Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin