Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk

Comments

• Yeah, just had a look at the prices and agree that suppliers and/or perhaps distributors with stock seem to be taking advantage of the limited supply.
    On the plus side, there should hopefully be an oversupply later in the year when the Baltic manufacturers get back into production. I'd hoped that I could avoid stockpiling for winter but will have to rethink my strategy for next winter.
  • I'm very frustrated that I seem to have put myself in the situation of choosing a heating system that is vulnerable to these market problems. I work in an industry supplying materials with products that are also subject to the same supply issues periodically and the similarities to 'short supply and driving prices' is worrying.

I too see no option but to stockpile before Christmas going forward as I refuse to pay the increased prices we are seeing at the moment - 30% rises in places that are drip feeding stock through.

All I can say is I feel sorry for the schools and businesses that moved over to Biomass and need material in large quantities.

I've found myself looking at alternatives already while huddling around the stove....
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hopefully the current shortage is going to be short lived, from a look at the following, a major issue has been the inability of the forestry industry to get access to the trees.

The price I am now paying for bagged pellets is higher than the price last summer, however it is not very different to the prices that I quoted at the top of this post around three years ago.
  • I wonder if there's any supplier out there willing to stockpile & fix prices on behalf of customers? Customers would need to make a commitment and perhaps pay monthly.
    Just a thought.
    Personally I'll be buying in September again, as I did last year on spec. Although last year it was in expectation of price rises due to exchange rates.
  • I forgot to add that one supplier I spoke with on the phone said they couldn't see the situation change before April but they are not a big well known supplier.
  • I think your supplier is probably correct, they'll try to hold the prices high as long as possible. Only when the demand drops & supplies come back will they drop prices.
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There is some extensive background analysis of the current shortage here:

https://www.forever-fuels.com/news/national-wood-pellet-shortage

Maybe I will look at getting a bigger shed to store pellets in this Summer!
  • Agreed, I'll need to look for some more storage space and buy in October. Maybe a local farmer will have some space for storage.
  • cancunia wrote: »
    Agreed, I'll need to look for some more storage space and buy in October. Maybe a local farmer will have some space for storage.

Best prices seem to be around June/July. I'm lucky as have enough space to store at least 12 months supply and usually buy between May-July
  • Woza14
    Woza14 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I have to say that I have not enjoyed owning a wood pellet boiler and the ridiculous increases to the bagged pellets has made it even more unpleasant seeing what i originally purchased for £230 a tonne to over £350. I will stock up in the summer months and as soon as the RHI payments shore up in 3 years time convert back to oil.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure