Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davie_marsh
    • By davie_marsh 7th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davie_marsh
    PPI on deceased relatives account
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    PPI on deceased relatives account 7th Feb 18 at 10:03 PM
    Hi, my dad died recently and I would like to find out if he has any PPI on old credit cards. Am I able to get my mum to write and just query any PPI or do I have to query a specific mis-selling. As he has died, I have no way of finding out what he zigned up for. He was retired when he took out a credit card in 2012. Thanks
Page 1
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 7th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    Does your Mum have access to any old card statements. Is the card from 2012 the only one your Dad had, many providers had stopped selling PPI by then.
    • davie_marsh
    • By davie_marsh 8th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    davie_marsh
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    Thanks. Im just wondering if you can enquire generally about old accounts. As he was retired he wouodnt have needed ppi cover and im wondering if it was ever taken out inadvertently
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 20,164 Posts
    • 11,106 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    Thanks. Im just wondering if you can enquire generally about old accounts.
    Originally posted by davie_marsh
    Records kept for deceased customers are likely to be scant. However, your mother could send a Subject Access Request (SAR) to every bank your father ever dealt with. It will cost 10 per lender.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 92,660 Posts
    • 59,986 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    As he was retired he wouodnt have needed ppi cover and im wondering if it was ever taken out inadvertently
    It is difficult for a retired person to have PPI. If the firm knew his age and it was over 65 then PPI is not normally available to buy or be sold.

Did they even borrow on credit cards or did they do what most do and pay the balance off each month?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,085Posts Today

6,612Users online

Martin's Twitter