Insurance debt

13»

Comments

• John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Why does your husband not want to pay? Your dog got out, it ran into the road, and has damaged someone!!!8217;s car. They or their insurance company is a low to try to recover it through the courts. They may or may not win, but if it gets to court at all £200 an hour builds up very quickly.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Advice was given about this back in 2016 and nothing has changed.

There is no proven liability against either yourself or your husband regarding your dog getting onto a road.

You do not have to reply to the letter. You must not admit any liability.

If the third party or their Insurers wants to have liability decided let them take this to court. I doubt this will happen, unless they have witnesses saying that you negligently allowed your dog onto the road.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • luaive
    luaive Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    John-K if I could read my husbands mind, then it would make my life a lot easier, perhaps its a suborn male thing? Huckster, did you ignore the most recent posts? It IS going to court!! We have already had the court paperwork, hence my worry about it costing even more!! I just don't see how it could work in our favour :/ Its a shame my husband didn't record the guy when it happened as apparently he was saying it was his fault!!
  • luaive
    Right, been awhile but I don't want to start a new thread and have to explain all the details when people can just re-read the posts. Court is tomorrow, we have a solictitor *kerching* so he better be good! I personally think this is just going to cost us more than just paying the darn bill at the start by hey-ho! Question for anyone with knowledge of small claims courts, the paperwork (claimform) we have from the otherside (I know there is a legal word, I just cant remember it lol) saying what they are claiming for, has solicitor fees on it, thou my husband has read that you cannot claim back solicitor fees from a small claims court? So how are they getting away with charging us?
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    luaive wrote: »
    my husband has read that you cannot claim back solicitor fees from a small claims court?

You can, it's just capped @ £50 I believe.

Best of luck for your day in court!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The court an award costs if it considers the loser has acted unreasonably.
  • Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How did it go?
  • luaive
    I haven't got details as hubby only told me quick but.....WE WON! I really expected him to say we had to pay x amount at least, but they have to pay us! £75 for expenses. Shame it doesn't cover the lawyer fees but cost us considerably less than had we lost! Just hope that is it now and we can finally move on from this horrible mess! Safe to say I now have pet insurance!
  • Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    luaive wrote: »
    I haven't got details as hubby only told me quick but.....WE WON! I really expected him to say we had to pay x amount at least, but they have to pay us! £75 for expenses. Shame it doesn't cover the lawyer fees but cost us considerably less than had we lost! Just hope that is it now and we can finally move on from this horrible mess! Safe to say I now have pet insurance!

That's fantastic news. Well done!
  • luaive
    Just when I thought it was all over.....my husband has now decided that he/we are too out of pocket and is going to take it further...I have no idea what he is planning, more court without the lawyer I would assume, just hope its hot air because I really think it could end up biting us in the !!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure