PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you SABLE?

Comments

• Great thread. For me -
    Dinner services
    Tea-sets
    Glasses - sets for red wine, white wine, champagne, sherry etc etc!
    Cutlery
    Tablecloths
    Towels
    Sheets
    Duvets
    Reusable Padded envelopes
    New photo albums
    Tea towels
    Dresses
    Cardigans, especially cardigans!
    Tights
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ties - which is especially ridiculous as I hate the things and only every wear them for weddings, funerals and job interviews.
    You reminded me: scarves! I have a huge drawer full of them (and bought another for myself just today). I wear the winter ones without fail, but the lighter dress scarves don't really get an outing.

In truth I have enough clothes for the rest of my life too.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Slinky wrote: »
    Good lord GQ, if cleanliness is next to Godliness, you may a bit too close to the pearly gates for comfort!
    :p:o The crazy thing is that it is several years since I've bought any soap at all. Or toothpaste, I'm probably good for another couple of years of toothpaste.

All the soaps fit in a modestly-sized hessian bag for life on the floor of the airing cupboard, so it's not like they're in my way.

The sock stash is 90% cast-offs from the mothership and I'm concentrating wear on only a few pairs at a time to use them up and get them out to the rag bag once they develop religious sensibilities.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Scarves many in lots of colours all carefully rolled a la Marie Kondo and an excess of cushions. Might offer a few or 10 to the local charity shop.
  • monnagran wrote: »
    I can just imagine all the KonMarie practitioners reading this thread and passing out in horror. The countryside is now probably littered with the bodies of appalled dedicated de-clutterers.

As a minimalist I have been hyperventilating a bit :)

I might have to lie down (I own just two sets of bed linen if anyone is interested).
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As for the glasses,if 40 people dropped in they could have 2 or 3 glasses each!I WILL get rid of some next week,or try to.Charity shops seem to be SABLE for glasses too.

I also have 3 young adult children who I could kit out easily.only one has properly flown the nest as yet.

I must also confess to being sable for furniture.You know stuff that would be handy if .... just got their own place.I have 6 chairs in the kitchen with 10 in the loft!

Oh the shame,and I thought I didn't hoard.
     :
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I struggle with the idea of SABLE Books - I mean, it's like really good friends - Can you have too many? (Spare me the the lifealtering accident that reveals the right answer, there!)

Um, reusable shopping and tote bags. Yes. Too many. But the Bags for Life are so charming & affordable & frankly of all acquisitive vices I could be trying to maintain that's downright beneficial. Surely.

Letter writing materials - I have quite a few card and envelope sets that help chivvy the sons through thankyou letters, a boxfile of postcards acquired because I liked the picture, let alone the reminders of where we've been, or of the Interesting Things... Then when the supermarket cleared its Basildon Bond airmail stationery I picked up a platoon-load for pennies & then forgot to find a platoon to write to. I've even got the onionskin pad I wrote to my boyfriend of before university to, and some envelopes left. .

If the onion skin paper is blue, green, or orange, I'll happily take it off your hands, lol

Shopping bags. Er, the spousal unit says we have too many. But I buy them as souvenirs on holiday and take them home to use. Nothing brightens up a long dark winter day better than a Mercadona shopping bag.

So, when we're in Scotland in the autumn, I'll be picking up shopping bags and hunting for onion skin paper.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been chuckling so hard at this thread that hubby asked what I was reading.

I look at some of your lists thinking, ooh I don't have any of that or enough of this, and they look like shopping lists to me! I am however a bit of a minimalist and still sort of stocking our first house (which has so far taken 4 years!).

The only thing I'm sable in is crockery, whilst a few of you could provide drinks for that unexpected coach party, I could serve them a 3 course meal. I do have my [STRIKE]excuses[/STRIKE] reasons though. When we were in our previous place we bought 2 boxes of crockery, enough for 8 place settings. I then proceeded over 6 years to break most of it. When I found our present crockery, a nice Jamie Oliver range, plain and simple, reduced to about a quid a piece I bought up big. I had the thought that at least then if I broke it, we'd have a few years before we ran out! The thing is, this stuff bounces. Even off concrete :rotfl: I've dropped plates, smashed mugs together, whacked bowls on shelves and not a crack. The only thing broken on 4 years is 1 bowl, by hubby in the garage. If we continue at that rate, I'm sable for crockery.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    As a minimalist I have been hyperventilating a bit :)

I might have to lie down (I own just two sets of bed linen if anyone is interested).

Only 1. :o.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Crockery, cutlery & glasses + chairs & table-space to feed & water 24 for dinner...excuse being we have a spread-out family of 23 bodies and we live most centrally :o

Bags for life - DH insists on buying at least 1 on every visit to Booths

Clothes (both of us :o) DH travels with work & has regularly been away for 2-3 weeks of business attire ...despite only doing shorter trips now he still has 9+ weeks worth of socks & boxers.

Screws/nails/nuts & bolts - I acquired my ex-h collection on divorce, plus my dad's collection that had some of his dad's + DHs own collection

Embroidery silks - grandma's, my mum's, MiL, plus my own. I have at least 3 of virtually every permutation in all of the Anchor branding!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills