Any Treadmill advice?

Options

Comments

• amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't let what others think of you put you off from running outside. Anyone who runs will just think good on you anyway. But it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, you don't know them and anyone who has a negative thought towards someone getting out and exercising doesn't deserve a moments notice. Try looking up your local park run, you'll be running with hundreds of other people of all shapes and sizes and you'll find a whole community of people who just run for the fun of it.
  • How about this one.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Cheers for the replies/ideas - I ended up getting an exercise bike!
  • Robinio
    Robinio Posts: 13 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was just about to reply asking why a treadmill and not exercise bike!

What bike did you go for in the end, and where did you get it from? And is it any good?!
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    I ended up grabbing a Roger Black from Argos.

Argos catalogue number 5999374

It folds up which I need for my flat and was a major part in the choice. The reviews were very positive and there was lots to read.

I'm 5'10 and it is a good size for me. The resistances are nice too, it feels much smoother than the cheaper bikes so I'm glad I paid more than I initially wanted to. Feels sturdy too. So far I would recommend! Doing 25mins a night and then can always do jogging still when I get fitter.

Argos are nuts nowadays too - I ordered it at about 2pm on a Sunday, paid them the £4 for same day delivery and had it delivered at 4pm by a nice cheerful guy who even offered to bring it upstairs for me! Such a good service.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2018 at 9:30AM
    Options
    It's far better just to use the treadmill that starts outside your front gate and goes on for as long as you want it to.

But if you do want one, go to a decent sport/gym supply shop and try some. All treadmills are definitely not created equal and you should spend as much as you can, if you don't want something that creaks and rattles every time you step on it.
    I agree, indoor treadmills are so boring . Instead of jogging, try speed walking. Fast walking at around 4.5 to 5 mphs is every bit as a work -out as slow jogging without looking quite so stupid and you do not need to be decked out in a silly jogging uniform along with the obligatory fashion statement sunglasses, headphones and a bottle of water ..
    My speed walk quarter of a mile lap is only 10 seconds less than a steady jog and much more natural and less pounding on the feet as a side benefit.
    I am going to compare speed walk ( some call it power walking ) v jogging v cycling with my heart rate monitor hooked up just to compare the work load. I know after an hours speed walking I feel as knackered as I would jogging or steady cycling.
    No need for a treadmill cluttering up the place, just a stopwatch and a pair of nice trainers or shoes and you can do proper hard exercise just walking briskly to the shops and back.
    Start with just 5 minute speed walk bursts with slower walks in between and try and build up to an hour a day at full tilt 4.5/ 5 mph.
    If the OP is intent on trying a treadmill I advise a look on Facebook Marketplace where there are bound to be people getting rid of good treadmills very close to where you live.
    I got one for £30 , which was a manual one which I could angle up to duplicate hill walking. I use this just for hill walking training only if I am heading up Scotland for a bit of Munro bagging.
    Yesterday I connected my chest heart rate monitor up and found that speed walking rates were roughly 120 bpm compared to cycling at a lower average of around 112 bpm, so it looks like , for me, speed walking is a better work out than cycling. Today I will compare steady 3 mph walking and slow jogging rates.
    Speed walking is certainly easier on the knees and ankle joints being a much more natural form of exercise
  • BrookesAndrew
    BrookesAndrew Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So much cheaper and nicer to run outside. Running on a treadmill is so boring!
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Maybe it is. But in the heat wave we have at the moment or it's chucking down with rain. Then they have there place.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    Maybe it is. But in the heat wave we have at the moment or it's chucking down with rain. Then they have there place.

Yours

Calley x

Totally agree with both of these statements.

Definitely cheaper and nicer outside.

All my running kit is from Aldi or Decathlon, apart from my shoes which after having gait analysis done and trying lots of different makes at a proper running shop I now get cheap from Sportsshoes.com. My last pair were £40, last years model, RRP £110. :money:

But with this heat I am finding it very hard to get out and run. Last Friday I manged to get out at 6:30am for a run before work and it was still starting to get too hot.

No chance this week as on earlies and when I get home it's way too hot, so it's a quick few miles on the treadmill, watching Netflix on the tablet with fans in strategic positions.
  • trickydicky14
    Options
    I agree, indoor treadmills are so boring . Instead of jogging, try speed walking. Fast walking at around 4.5 to 5 mphs is every bit as a work -out as slow jogging without looking quite so stupid and you do not need to be decked out in a silly jogging uniform along with the obligatory fashion statement sunglasses, headphones and a bottle of water ..

I am going to compare speed walk ( some call it power walking ) v jogging v cycling with my heart rate monitor hooked up just to compare the work load. I know after an hours speed walking I feel as knackered as I would jogging or steady cycling.

Speed walking is certainly easier on the knees and ankle joints being a much more natural form of exercise

House Martin,
    I applaud your fitness regime and wish more would follow your example. I am sure speed walking is an excellent way to stay fit but only one way of many and I believe cross training to be very important (combining several sports)
    Obviously you are keen to promote speed walking but I do think you talk a load of tosh when you describe other activities.
    Firstly I do not think your heart rate monitor test would prove overly scientific and the difference in heart rate is too small to be of any significance in a real study plus who can say the conditions and your effort are constant whilst doing these activities.
    Secondly I like to go for a run and I do not fit your stereo type runner. All I need is a pair of shorts and a t shirt and a good pair of shoes much the same if I go for a walk. I do not need expensive kit I do not have headphones as I like to listen to nature around me and I do not wear any fashion statements. I do often carry water which I would also do on a long walk. You should stay hydrated whatever activity you do.
    Thirdly you talk about speed walking being a much more natural form of exercise well our ancestors would regularly run at a steady pace for huge distances to wear down animals before killing them for food unfortunately people have just become much more sedentary and are now paying the price.
    You also talk about knees and ankle joints well firstly I would advise people who wish to run to do it off road do cross country or fell running or trail running. These are all much kinder to your body and you get to see much more pleasant surroundings then running on pavements lastly cycling is recommended by most health professionals as an excellent activity and better for knees and joints then most sports or activities.
    So yes keep on speed walking if that is your thing but please do not be so blinkered we have so many choices to improve our fitness and mental wellbeing.
    I do agree with you 100% regarding tread mills get rid of the bloody things.
    I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
    The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
    There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
    I listen all night for your step on the stair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure