Pension Input Amount and 60% marginal tax rate

Options

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    this tax liability will manifest somewhere along the line. Without AVCs you could perhaps have an initial tax-free lump sum and then lower taxed regular payments in future. With the AVCs you might take the initial tax-free lump sum from those, but the result would be higher taxed regular payments from non-AVC stuff in future.
    Some pension schemes simply allow the AVC pot to be used to fund the 25% tax free lump sum on the combined value of the DB and DC portions. If there's enough DC to fund it all there's no reduction in the income from the DB portion.

LGPS is perhaps the biggest scheme with this capability and it comes up quite often here. Putting in the AVC money, getting the tax relief and NI saving then getting it out tax free, is a very useful and often important factor when responding to LGPS-related questions.
  • Gronson
    Gronson Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply
    Yes, it is an LGPS scheme, hence the ability to take the AVCs tax free upon retirement

I’d like to maximise the value of this AVC pot subject to :
    Not going over annual allowance
    Trying to minimise the loss of personal allowance / maximise pension contributions which benefit from the 60% tax relief
    Keeping an eye on lifetime allowance

It’s quite a balancing act!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    Okay, but my guess -- and personally I only have DC pensions, so take this for what it is worth -- is that this tax liability will manifest somewhere along the line. Without AVCs you could perhaps have an initial tax-free lump sum and then lower taxed regular payments in future. With the AVCs you might take the initial tax-free lump sum from those, but the result would be higher taxed regular payments from non-AVC stuff in future.
    Yes, but the commutation rate on some/most DB pensions is so dire that it's usually not worth commuting pension for a TFLS even with the tax savings. So if they allow AVCs to be combined with DB and 25% of the combined pot taken as TFLS, they are effectively tax free on the way out without any loss elsewhere.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you break the AA there is an option called "scheme pays". Does that apply only to DC schemes ?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Gronson
    Options
    Thanks what I am banking on !!!
  • Gronson
    Options
    One of the options open to me is to use scheme pays if the tax charge on excess pension growth is higher than £2,000
  • Gronson
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who tried to assist with this. In the end I downloaded some self assessment software which confirmed that the excess pension charge DOES NOT count as taxable income for the purposes of triggering the personal allowance taper. So it does appear that you can make pension contributions which receive tax relief at 60% due to income level between £100-123k and which end up being taxed as excess over the £40k annual allowance at either 40% or 45%
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gronson wrote: »
    One of the options open to me is to use scheme pays if the tax charge on excess pension growth is higher than £2,000

"Growth"? Is that a reference to LTA?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Gronson
    Options
    Hi
    No, “scheme pays” is only usable when the annual allowance is exceeded and creates a tax charge of more than £2,000
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Gronson wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who tried to assist with this. In the end I downloaded some self assessment software which confirmed that the excess pension charge DOES NOT count as taxable income for the purposes of triggering the personal allowance taper. So it does appear that you can make pension contributions which receive tax relief at 60% due to income level between £100-123k and which end up being taxed as excess over the £40k annual allowance at either 40% or 45%
    Really? Is this official HMRC software, as it appears to contradict the HMRC website
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure