The Debt Diary of a 20-something Spendaholic

BelleOfBilboa
BelleOfBilboa Posts: 38 Forumite
edited 10 August 2018 at 12:53PM in Debt free diaries
I am 26 and I am in debt.

I loooove to spend money and I quite like to ignore the consequences…well not anymore! The only way I will be able to achieve my goal of being a home owner by 30 is to get rid of my debt! Step one: acceptance :o
For the first time ever I have collated all of my debts and calculated the total *drumroll*… ~£10220.56! :eek: I realise that might not seem like a massive amount to someone with a mortgage/pets/kids…but to your average 26 year old without responsibilities I think that might be quite the sum. And an unnecessary one at that!

I pay roughly £500 in debt repayments monthly and have been doing so consistently for a while now but the big figure hasn’t really gotten that much smaller. I tend to get stuck in a vicious cycle: borrow from the bank of Mum & Dad > pay back what I owe > rinse and repeat. For a while I was your typical girl living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade wage, but now my income isn’t half bad and I really should be making bigger dents in that £10k!

I hate asking my parents for money but it’s too easy and my parents would rather I ask them than see me get a credit card...I REALLY need to learn how to live within my means!

I’ve had a little bit of a wakeup call recently as I am just about to move in with my boyfriend (literally in 2 days) and so I will be moving out of my shared house where bills have been included and into a rented property where I will need to pay for rent + bills. The rent is the same as what I’m currently paying but the bills are going to cost me around another £150 each month. We have budgeted and I can afford this but only if I am sensible with my money.

FYI my boyfriend is in a lot of debt too (accrued before we got together may I add, not my influence!) so we are in this together. He has even sparked an interest in creating his own debt free diary! You might make MSEs out of us yet ;)

In order of priority, here’s the breakdown:
Next £362.91
Natwest Overdraft £2000
Natwest Loan £1692.30 25%APR
Career Development Loan ~£4000*
Bank of M&D £2165.35
*I have estimated my CDL figure slightly but when I get a new statement I will update to the accurate figure.

I’ve prioritised my debts and I’m going to treat them like mini goals. The Next account is my smallest debt and the result of frivolous spending so I need to get rid for good. My overdraft is scaring me a little as I accrued this as part of a student account and I have read horror stories of Natwest demanding their money back at short notice! :eek: My Natwest loans are recent debts as a result of poor planning for an expensive holiday earlier this year. I had to get a career dev loan to pay for my masters degree. And last but not least, the bank of M&D have lent me money in the past to buy my car, pay for last year’s holiday of a lifetime and that’s additional to general handouts.

If I continued clearing my debt at £500 each month (without getting into more debt) then I should have a DFD of Spring 2020! Not too bad but I think I can beat this, I would love to start 2020 debt free! This goal will require some work and some significant overpayments but I have two jobs and I also earn money from cat/dog sitting. If I commit then I can definitely do this!

I spend hours stalking other diaries on here but now I want to join the club! :j

As a result of my stalking, I have recently signed up to Prolific Academic, Grassroots Mystery Shopping and I have an eBay account to sell bits and bobs so any money I accrue from them I will only use to repay debt. My promise to you.:money:

So here goes! My first (and hopefully only) debt free diary! :cool:

Belle
Next[STRIKE] £362.91[/STRIKE]/£0; Natwest OD[STRIKE] £2000[/STRIKE]/£0; Natwest Loan [STRIKE]£1692.50[/STRIKE]/£0; CDL £5700/£2386.72; Bank of M&D £2710.35/£1965.35 DFD 31/12/19

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    :hello: Hi belle, happy new diary and good luck with your journey
  • Hello redofromstart! Thanks for popping by :)
    Next[STRIKE] £362.91[/STRIKE]/£0; Natwest OD[STRIKE] £2000[/STRIKE]/£0; Natwest Loan [STRIKE]£1692.50[/STRIKE]/£0; CDL £5700/£2386.72; Bank of M&D £2710.35/£1965.35 DFD 31/12/19

• I’ve had an idea…well I thought I had but my OH informed me that he had definitely heard of it before so…I’ve stolen an idea ;) and I thought I would share! I shall name it: Two Jars, One Debt. (Apologies to anyone who understands that reference!:rotfl:)

I have bought two glass jars and a selection of pretty blue marbles. I have labelled one jar ‘Debt to Clear’ and the other ‘Debt Cleared’. All of the marbles currently sit in the ‘Debt to Clear’ jar and represent mine and the OH’s combined debt. Each marble represents £500 of our debt and the idea is that moving a marble or two from one jar to the other as we make repayments will keep us motivated to clear it all! I’m hoping as the ‘Debt Cleared’ jar fills, we will get really keen and become super frugal…but I’ll keep you posted on that one ;)

I’m quite house proud and I have an unhealthy interiors obsession so the marble idea is a way in which we can visualise and take ownership of our debt whilst still having a pretty feature on the kitchen windowsill :) The only drawback is that it has cost me money to implement… The marbles cost around £10 on eBay and the jars were around £10 from IKEA. On the plus side, there is always a re-use for jars and I can always re-sell the marbles on eBay once debt-free! :)
    The big move is happening in T-minus 22 hours and I have a feeling that the first thing I will unpack will be my jars of marbles!:j

• Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello Belle. Two jars sounds like a great idea. Hope the move goes smoothly.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • Puddleglum wrote: »
    Hello Belle. Two jars sounds like a great idea. Hope the move goes smoothly.

Hi Puddleglum, thank you for commenting! :) The move went really well but I now know what I have spent all of my money on....mugs! I have so many!!

I think a car boot sale may be on the cards in a few weeks :o all proceeds to go towards debt clearance of course!

• Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Two jars one debt :rotfl:
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Two jars one debt :rotfl:

Hahahaha!

Name aside it's a really good idea!! I've never hear of it before so I'm going to pretend you came up with it yourself :cool: Good luck with everything! Another 20-something spendaholic here (hopefully mostly reformed, but not quite sure!) so will be cheering you on :o
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There is a thread on here called 1% challenge 100 ways to pay your debt. Or similar to that. That breaks your target down into 1% which seems manageable so in you case just over 100pounds. These are good mini targets to get to if your ebaying or selling.

Good luck.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Two jars one debt :rotfl:

;)

I've really enjoyed reading your diary Silver Queen!

• katsoocam
    katsoocam Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Love the idea about the marbles and the jar and will be stealing it for my mortgage :-).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure