PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Late rent charge

Options
Hi,
I missed my rent payment by 2 days (so it was 2 days late) and now the agency are saying I owe a late fee.

The tenancy says:
"To pay interest on any payment of rent not made as set out in this agreement. Interest is payable from the date on which the rent was due until the date on which the rent was actually paid at the interest rate calculated at 5% above the bank of England base rate."

I assumed the charge was 5.5% interest per annum - so didnt expect a large fine.
Now I'm being told it's 5.5% per day. So I owe a late fee of £55 (rent is £500).

Is this right?
It was only 2 days late, it's crazy to expect so much for 2 days!
Thanks in advance!

BH.

Comments

• Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This looks like a standard penalty interest clause lifted from banking/loan agreements and whilst not specific in this case, 5% above Base is almost standard as an annual rate to be used to calculate LPI for corporate loans etc

I think the document is poorly worded - if the penalty interest is only 25p for paying rent late then not much of a disincentive.

£50 might sound crazy but if you can delay paying your rent by paying 7 pence per day, quite a lot of people would never pay it, so there has to be a genuine and painful "penalty" for paying late.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    Based on that language I'd say your interpretation is correct and theirs is unenforceable, like excessive bank charges proved to be. 5.5% per day is based on no actual cost and was constructively a fine.

I would go back and say that while you are sure that is what they would like the contract to mean, that is not what it actually says, and you accept no liability beyond what it actually says.

Furthermore, the BoE rate is expressed as a per annum rate, so it is simply incoherent to argue that a third party's published annual rate can be applied as a component of a daily charge.

And I say that as a landlord.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your assumption was reasonable. If the tenancy agreement does not clearly state that the interest rate is 5% per day, you don't have to pay 5% per day. I would send the agency letter confirming that the tenancy agreement does not say that interest is payable at 5.5% per day, and that 5% per annum is the only reasonable assumption to make. Offer to pay them the 8 pence that you owe them if the interest rate were 5.5% pa.

Even if the tenancy agreement did say the interest rate was 5% above the BoE base rate per day, you still have the protection of the unfair terms and conditions portions of the Consumer Rights Act. This says that charges have to be fair and proportionate. So you can be charged for the time it takes the agency to chase the late payment - say the agency charges staff time at £100 per hour. If they call you, and you make a payment straight away, the charge might be £15. If they have to write you two letters, it might be £50. When charging interest, the interest rate has to be comparable to the interest rate that the landlord would have received had their money been invested somewhere other than the property. So an interest rate of 10-20% per annum or 0.05% per day might be the upper limit of what is reasonable.

The Office of Fair Trading said in 2005 that "We regard a requirement to pay unreasonable interest on arrears of rent, at a rate substantially above the clearing banks' base rates, as an unfair penalty".

5.5% per day is 2007% per annum (and 307 million % more if compounded!). This is so far and above the clearing bank's base rates as to be unfair.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be reasonably confident that a court would interpret that clause as meaning a per annum interest rate, as the BoE base rate is generally taken to mean that. How keen are you in staying in the property at the end of your current tenancy? If you're prepared to risk a S21 I'd be tempted to call their bluff and let them take me to court. I might also contact the LL to protest against the agency's interpretation of the charge.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BlueHouse wrote: »
    Hi,
    I missed my rent payment by 2 days (so it was 2 days late) and now the agency are saying I owe a late fee.

The tenancy says:
    "To pay interest on any payment of rent not made as set out in this agreement. Interest is payable from the date on which the rent was due until the date on which the rent was actually paid at the interest rate calculated at 5% above the bank of England base rate." - the reference to dates just defines what period, the interest applies to, e.g. rent due 1st July, paid 3rd July => (2/365) = 0.548% of a year. Doesn't mean you count the number of days and apply 5% to each one.

I assumed the charge was 5.5% interest per annum - so didnt expect a large fine.- I agree, BoE base rate is 0.5% pa or effectively 0.00137% per day. Without indication otherwise, 5% would be reasonably interpreted to being quoted consistently ie 5% pa (or its ambiguous and so assumed to favour the tenant as they didn't draft the doc).
    Now I'm being told it's 5.5% per day. So I owe a late fee of £55 (rent is £500). - 5.5% per year = 0.0147%
    per day

Is this right?
    It was only 2 days late, it's crazy to expect so much for 2 days! - In general I wouldn't say £55 is crazy, there is time involved in having to check accounts, chase for payment,
    potential bank charges if they were relying on the money coming in for other payments. You should be paying rent on time,
    "only 2 days" is 2 days too many.

However in this case your agreement doesn't provide for a late fee, only interest so they can't charge £55

Thanks in advance!

BH.
    Based on that language I'd say your interpretation is correct and theirs is unenforceable, like excessive bank charges proved to be. 5.5% per day is based on no actual cost and was constructively a fine.
    I agree 5.5% pa is high, but not necessarily a fine, as its still small figures.. a £1000 rent being a whole 3 months late is still under £5 so hardly excessive. Also It could reflect interest in a high return S&S ISA or overdraft interest if the LL had to fund outgoing payments due to late rent.
    5.5% per day is a different story (and not properly explained in the agreement if that's what they meant, so definitely not what was agreed)
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    Was there anything mentioned regarding an admin fee?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As others say, the only reasonable interpretation of the contract is 5.5% per year.

However, you probably breached the contract - so they could claim reasonable costs that they incurred as a result of that breach.

For example, if they phoned you or sent you a letter, because you didn't pay - perhaps they could argue that they incurred costs of £5 to £20 (based on hourly staff costs etc) as a result of your breach.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    As others say, the only reasonable interpretation of the contract is 5.5% per year.

However, you probably breached the contract - so they could claim reasonable costs that they incurred as a result of that breach.

For example, if they phoned you or sent you a letter, because you didn't pay - perhaps they could argue that they incurred costs of £5 to £20 (based on hourly staff costs etc) as a result of your breach.

Could they claim those costs from the OP? Aren't those the costs of managing the property which is what the landlord is already paying the agent to do?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Could they claim those costs from the OP? Aren't those the costs of managing the property which is what the landlord is already paying the agent to do?

some may say they are over and above the standard offered terms.

Its likely to be classed as extra work as its not an expected thing for a tenant to pay late maybe
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would expect a large reason for rent payments being late is due to the tenant having financial difficulties, so making them pay in essence what is a fine is only going to exacerbate the problem. Still, if it makes a few quid in the short term.

I am a landlord and my tenant (who I would consider a good one) has been late paying the rent 2 or 3 times in the past 4 years, each time they've contacted me about it citing problems with their bank and they've made the payment a day or two later.

I am happy with that, it's not costing me anything apart from a small amount of worry and as long as the tenant is up front about it then no problem.

As a tenant myself when I was in my 20s, I know what it's like, a bit of empathy goes a long way.

Legally, unless the contract explicitly states the interest is payable daily, it would be assumed to be annually and in any case I suspect they are legally obliged to show the APR as banks are with their "fines".

5% a day would be a nice APR!

IANAL
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills