Couple applying for UC with kids

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Per person?

How can a couple with kids both be working 35hrs and pick up the kids from school ect?

They aren’t both expected to work 35 hours. The primary carer will have a reduced expectation to take account of the need to be around for children out of school hours, and to take and collect children from school. Hence the statement in my previous post “May be reduced to reflect individual circumstances (such as child care responsibilities).”
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    They aren’t both expected to work 35 hours. The primary carer will have a reduced expectation to take account of the need to be around for children out of school hours, and to take and collect children from school. Hence the statement in my previous post “May be reduced to reflect individual circumstances (such as child care responsibilities).”

Tankyou, that is a relief.

How can we find out the detIls please? Or is it different everytime and we can't see the exact details?

My earning are bellow 2x 35hrs X NMW. So how much will my wife need to work so that she doesn't have to keep attending the interviews?
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There's actually two different regimes which take people out of intensive worksearch.

The first, earning above the joint CET is the main one - called 'working enough'.

This would be 35 hours x NMW wage for yourself, and either 0, 16, 25 or 35 hours per week for your partner.

It's 0 until the youngest is 3 (though she would have to do work focused interviews when child is 1, and work preparation interviews at 2). These are very infrequent.

It's then 16 hours while youngest is 3 and 4, then 25 hours at 5 - 12 and finally 35 hours when youngest turns 13.

The second regime is 'light touch'. Providing you take home at least £541 a month between you, you will be on this regime. She would have to agree to take any work offered, but wouldn't actually have to job search (so very unlikely to be offered work!). There should be no job centre meetings. Be aware that light touch doesn't stop the work focused interviews or work preparation interviews, so it really only comes into play once youngest turns 3.
  • WillowCat wrote: »
    There's actually two different regimes which take people out of intensive worksearch.

The first, earning above the joint CET is the main one - called 'working enough'.

This would be 35 hours x NMW wage for yourself, and either 0, 16, 25 or 35 hours per week for your partner.

It's 0 until the youngest is 3 (though she would have to do work focused interviews when child is 1, and work preparation interviews at 2). These are very infrequent.

It's then 16 hours while youngest is 3 and 4, then 25 hours at 5 - 12 and finally 35 hours when youngest turns 13.

The second regime is 'light touch'. Providing you take home at least £541 a month between you, you will be on this regime. She would have to agree to take any work offered, but wouldn't actually have to job search (so very unlikely to be offered work!). There should be no job centre meetings. Be aware that light touch doesn't stop the work focused interviews or work preparation interviews, so it really only comes into play once youngest turns 3.

Thanks so much willowcat, you are awesome.

Our youngest is 4yrs old. And I will be working 40hrs NMW.

So what would be the requirements for my wife?

Would she need to go to regular interviews at the job centre?
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    https://medium.com/@carlos.hagi/universal-credit-and-conditionality-c5f6f1a9306a

No clear answer as it comes down to individual circumstances, but here are a few pointers
    As a claimant’s circumstances may change,they may move into a different work related group,in which case the claimant commitment should be updated to reflect this. Also a change in circumstances of a partner may affect the conditionality requirements of the other.
    If a claimant will have few or no work related requirements it may be possible to accept a claimant commitment through the online claim.

See if your partner can do it digitally as UC was [supposedly] designed to be so.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • WhenIam64 wrote: »
    https://medium.com/@carlos.hagi/universal-credit-and-conditionality-c5f6f1a9306a

No clear answer as it comes down to individual circumstances, but here are a few pointers

See if your partner can do it digitally as UC was [supposedly] designed to be so.

Thanks that would make sense
  • What is the best way to go about trying to convince them that my wife doesn’t need to keep going to interviews to get her to find work?

She has three kids to get to different schools and back again. How can anybody get work inside those hrs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What is the best way to go about trying to convince them that my wife doesn’t need to keep going to interviews to get her to find work?

She has three kids to get to different schools and back again. How can anybody get work inside those hrs.

Plenty do though, they have childcare arrangements that that pick the kids up and mind them till you finish work. A hefty portion of costs which can be claimed back via several schemes from the government including through universal credit.
  • _shel wrote: »
    Plenty do though, they have childcare arrangements that that pick the kids up and mind them till you finish work. A hefty portion of costs which can be claimed back via several schemes from the government including through universal credit.

It’s just too complicated for us, we have three kids in three different schools

It’s hard enough planning getting them all there and home at different times
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Where I was working one PT worker worked 10am - 2pm.

Plenty of time to drop off and pick up kids.

My GS goes to after school care. he os picked up from school and taken to the care premises . One parent collects him from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure