Anyone taken a bike rack on Normandie Express (fast ferry)

We are travelling to France next weekend and are planning on taking our bikes on a buzzrack carrier. For the first time we are travelling on the Normandie Express fast boat and I’ve just seen an FAQ on the website talking about how they do not allow trailers or caravans on this crossing.

I spoke with a lady in their reservations team who said this wouldn’t be a problem as it wasn’t a “separate trailer” but I didn’t get a huge feeling of confidence she was really clear exactly what I was talking about. It isn’t a separate trailer but it’s a pretty hefty piece of kit attached to a tow hitch. I did put down that we had a bike carrier on the original reservation so I’m not worried about that aspect; just whether they might claim it’s a trailer. The last thing I want is to show up at the port and be unable to travel :(

Has anyone travelled on this boat with a tow hitch bike carrier?

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 August 2019 at 2:32PM
    Looking at what the express is ( a catamaran) then the trailer/caravan ban is probably because it would have a stability problem if things got rough. Something firmly connected to the car should be OK
    REAR-MOUNTED BICYCLE CARRIER
    You can take a rear-mounted bicycle carrier on the back of your vehicle for a small supplement. Please select the ‘Yes’ option under ‘Are you taking a rear-mounted bicycle carrier’.

You appear to be limited to a maximum overall length of 6m.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They sometimes check the declared vehicle length and height when you book in.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mjhatcher wrote: »

I spoke with a lady in their reservations team who said this wouldn’t be a problem as it wasn’t a “separate trailer” but I didn’t get a huge feeling of confidence she was really clear exactly what I was talking about. It isn’t a separate trailer but it’s a pretty hefty piece of kit attached to a tow hitch. ..........

I don't see how this could be any clearer, you've had the answer already.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • mjhatcher
    mjhatcher Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks all. I’ll keep my fingers crossed!
  • mjhatcher
    mjhatcher Posts: 16 Forumite
    Turned out to be absolutely no issue and plenty of others with similarly huge bike racks!

Happy to have worried for nothing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport