Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 24th May 19, 6:36 AM
    • 4,058Posts
    • 5,068Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Plusnet/life mobile , goodbye
    • 24th May 19, 6:36 AM
    Plusnet/life mobile , goodbye 24th May 19 at 6:36 AM
    for the last few yrs I have been happy with the (original) life mobile then plusnet sim only rolling contract deal
    however I now have to say "good bye"

for the last 12-18m I have been getting bad call coverage from my home address m, when making a call I have been getting a long pause then message on screen "conditional call fowarding "

the odd time I have had to tether the data to my home computer (virgin media down) , the situation has been diabolical 1 to 1.5 mbits (?) , practically unusual
    the odd time I have contacted plusnet - every thing fine our end - must be your phone.

I finally rung them about 4 weeks ago , basically sort it or I,m off. at which point they stated I only had a 3g sim!!

ok "please send me a 4g sim " and one arrived about 4 days later , I rung plusnet , told them I had been issued a 4g sim and was upgrading - they were quick enough to charge me an extra £1 for 4g !!!

installed sim , no better , having lunch at a friends in town centre , he uses EE (same as plusnet) his phone was rocking 30mbits type speed tests compared to my 1 -1.5

rung samsung (I have s7) they asked me to d/load proggy from google store and took control of my phone , checked it out (inc "conditional call fowarding" ) declared phone to be ok
    the call forwarding is because there id no longer EE coverage of 3g in my area , they are bailing out of 3g in 2020 (so I have been told) and my phone is searching for other transmitters , plusnet say "no" but they are "reallocating frequencies for 5g)

rang plusnet , then the penny dropped , they had simply done a new sim and not a migrate to 4g

now the fun starts , you cannot migrate a 4g sim to 4g , you can only "upgrade" me by going from 3g to 4g , so I need a plusnet / life mobile 4g sim to do this.

2 weeks on , no sim , they have no 3g sims !!!

I cannot start a new contract as they cannot port over a plusnet number to another plusnet account

suggestions have included , having a new number buying a rival PAYG sim , porting number for a few days then back , and others

for all this mucking about I have been offered 1 mth free line rental !!

bye bye plusnet , you have not "done me proud"
    Last edited by twhitehousescat; 24-05-2019 at 6:40 AM.
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
Page 1
    • d123
    • By d123 24th May 19, 10:09 AM
    • 8,015 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    d123
    • 24th May 19, 10:09 AM
    • 24th May 19, 10:09 AM

rung samsung (I have s7) they asked me to d/load proggy from google store and took control of my phone , checked it out (inc "conditional call fowarding" ) declared phone to be ok
    the call forwarding is because there id no longer EE coverage of 3g in my area ,
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat
    Completely wrong, your phone shows “conditional call forwarding” because you’ve got a conditional call forward set, likely to voicemail.

If you go into call settings you’ll find you have at least one of the forwarding commands active.

Fwd all calls
    Fwd when busy
    Fwd when unanswered
    Fwd when unreachable

Here’s an example of someone else with the same query
    https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Archive/conditional-call-forwarding-active-How-do-I-remove-it-please/td-p/288510

And an explanation
    https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-mean-for-conditional-call-forwarding-to-be-active
    ====
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 24th May 19, 10:25 AM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 5,068 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 24th May 19, 10:25 AM
    • 24th May 19, 10:25 AM
    ansaphone turned off

Fwd all calls
    Fwd when busy
    Fwd when unanswered
    Fwd when unreachable

all been checked and turned off
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • d123
    • By d123 24th May 19, 10:58 AM
    • 8,015 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    d123
    • 24th May 19, 10:58 AM
    • 24th May 19, 10:58 AM
    ansaphone turned off

Fwd all calls
    Fwd when busy
    Fwd when unanswered
    Fwd when unreachable

all been checked and turned off
    Originally posted by twhitehousescat

Do you still get the call forward message when you ring out after deactivating them? From memory there is also a default call forward on EE that is only controllable by CS, try turning the phone off and ringing the number or ringing the number and pressing the hang up button while it rings and see what happens.

If default call forward is still active you might have an uphill job getting it deactivated being with an MVNO.
    ====
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 24th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 24th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 24th May 19, 11:13 AM
    Plusnet don't use the 800MHz band 20 that EE use.

Band 20 is good for connecting from a large distance - e.g. if you live in a rural are and the nearest mast is far away - and it's also pretty good at penetrating through walls.
    • d123
    • By d123 24th May 19, 11:31 AM
    • 8,015 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    d123
    • 24th May 19, 11:31 AM
    • 24th May 19, 11:31 AM

Band 20 is good for connecting from a large distance - e.g. if you live in a rural are and the nearest mast is far away - and it's also pretty good at penetrating through walls.
    Originally posted by stragglebod
    True, I think BT Mobile is the only MVNO that can access it (along with 4G Calling and WIFI Calling).
    ====
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 24th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 2,612 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 24th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 24th May 19, 11:58 AM

Purely from memory so may be wrong, but don't those two scenarios require different frequencies for preference? The 800Mhz band is better at penetrating walls & buildings but the longer frequencies are better for travelling long distances?
    • d123
    • By d123 24th May 19, 12:40 PM
    • 8,015 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    d123
    • 24th May 19, 12:40 PM
    • 24th May 19, 12:40 PM
    Purely from memory so may be wrong, but don't those two scenarios require different frequencies for preference? The 800Mhz band is better at penetrating walls & buildings but the longer frequencies are better for travelling long distances?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    No, lower frequencies travel longer distances as well.
    ====
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 24th May 19, 2:19 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 24th May 19, 2:19 PM
    • 24th May 19, 2:19 PM
    The 800MHz band used to be for analogue telly, so needed to be good at both - most people are a long way from their local TV transmitter, and everyone I know has their TV indoors.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 24th May 19, 4:01 PM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 5,068 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    The 800MHz band used to be for analogue telly, so needed to be good at both - most people are a long way from their local TV transmitter, and everyone I know has their TV indoors.
    and most have a lump of metal on the roof of there house that connects to there TV

lack of bands does not cover up plusnet "cockup" , leaving me half way to 4g , but not there yet

maybe I should pace an advert in the times "wanted unused life mobile 3g sim card"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,997Users online

Martin's Twitter