Car Insurance

CEON44
CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Due to mistakes being made in form filling my father in law has had his licence revoked on medical grounds. He now has to re-apply for the licence and go through the procedures to get it back. So in the meantime he cant drive. However, he has a friend lined up with his own insurance who will drive him around at times in his own car. Thats my father in laws car to save confusion. He says the friend will be driving the car under his own insurance on a third party basis. But I dont believe this is correct. As my FIL now has no licence he, and therefore the car, are no longer insured. So even though the friend drives on his own insurance FIL's car is not covered so this is illegal. Can anyone clarify? Hope it makes sense
I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    CEON44 wrote: »
    Due to mistakes being made in form filling my father in law has had his licence revoked on medical grounds. He now has to re-apply for the licence and go through the procedures to get it back. So in the meantime he cant drive. However, he has a friend lined up with his own insurance who will drive him around at times in his own car. Thats my father in laws car to save confusion. He says the friend will be driving the car under his own insurance on a third party basis. But I dont believe this is correct. As my FIL now has no licence he, and therefore the car, are no longer insured. So even though the friend drives on his own insurance FIL's car is not covered so this is illegal. Can anyone clarify? Hope it makes sense

ER? probably best posting on the Insurance forum?

But my take on this the father in laws car needs to be insured.

And even so friend needs to have on his policy the part to drive any other car that is insured and will be third party.

Pretty rare these days though?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • CEON44
    I thought all policies allowed driving " a car not belonging to you or hired to you"
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 May 2019 at 12:00PM
    I thought all policies allowed driving " a car not belonging to you or hired to you"

SIMPLY: It needs to be insured by the owner
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ballyblack wrote: »
    It needs to be insured by the owner

And even then as stated the other driver has to have a statement on their insurance they can drive an other car 3rd party.

Pretty rare these days!
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 10 May 2019 at 5:18PM
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    ...But my take on this the father in laws car needs to be insured.

And even so friend needs to have on his policy the part to drive any other car that is insured and will be third party.

Hasbeen wrote: »
    And even then as stated the other driver has to have a statement on their insurance they can drive an other car 3rd party.

Pretty rare these days!

Pretty common I would say, as long as you are over 25, and don't have a telematics based insurance policy (which themselves are favoured by the young and/or inexperienced drivers)

1497352897553.png
    Source: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/articles/are-you-covered-in-another-car/#/2
  • CEON44
    ballyblack wrote: »
    It needs to be insured by the owner
    That was my thinking
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've been puzzling over this... If someone was to employ a full time driver for a car, they obviously would not need a licence themselves, so it obviously cannot be the case that the owner has to have a licence... Mainland law requires a vehicle "on the road" (so not subject to a SORN) to be taxed and insured, but I can't find if the same is true in NI - just a remark that the law is different in NI on gov.uk.

For a long term thing, it would probably be possible to make a third party the registered keeper (that's not the same as "owner") but I don't know how long it would need to be for that to be worthwhile. They could then insure/tax/MOT the vehicle.
  • CEON44
    RikM wrote: »
    I've been puzzling over this... If someone was to employ a full time driver for a car, they obviously would not need a licence themselves, so it obviously cannot be the case that the owner has to have a licence... Mainland law requires a vehicle "on the road" (so not subject to a SORN) to be taxed and insured, but I can't find if the same is true in NI - just a remark that the law is different in NI on gov.uk.

For a long term thing, it would probably be possible to make a third party the registered keeper (that's not the same as "owner") but I don't know how long it would need to be for that to be worthwhile. They could then insure/tax/MOT the vehicle.
    The licence isnt the issue RikM. The licence has been revoked. The insurance is the issue. As FIL now has no licence he automatically does not have insurance. So based on fact that he and I assume the car arent covered can someone else drive the car on their own insurance. My belief is that the car cant be driven by anyone as its not covered
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The licence isnt the issue RikM. The licence has been revoked. The insurance is the issue. As FIL now has no licence he automatically does not have insurance. So based on fact that he and I assume the car arent covered can someone else drive the car on their own insurance. My belief is that the car cant be driven by anyone as its not covered
    I suspect you're right, unless he can find the kind of insurance used by people with enough money to have drivers on the staff... Or makes the other driver the registered keeper of the vehicle (and they insure it).
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Perhaps those 'staff' drivers have an insurance policy paid by their employer....
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure