Early termination charges

My contract with TalkTalk ends on 14th December. I want to move to Now Broadband as they have a good rate but if I apply now can TalkTalk charge me termination charges? Also how much notice do I have to give them? I have had difficulty trying to find any info from them or on the website. Any advice please?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Once you're out of contract on the 14th, just pick another provider and sign up with them. No need to talk to TalkTalk. The new provider will do all the work, all you have to do is swap the router out (or reconfigure it as needs be) on switchover day.

Since it takes 14 days to switch anyway you're well inside this so if you are charged anything it won't be very much.
  • Many thanks Neil for your help. I will now try to contact Now broadband
  • Agram
    Agram Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Transfer probably won't happen before the 14th of December, but if it did you can contact new provider and ask for transfer to occur on a specific/later date such as the 14th so you wouldn't get hit with early exit fee.

Remember to contact TalkTalk and ask for partial refund of monthly payment if you leave part way through a new billing out of contract.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Agram wrote: »
    Remember to contact TalkTalk and ask for partial refund of monthly payment if you leave part way through a new billing out of contract.
    That should happen automatically.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Dollie21 wrote: »
    Many thanks Neil for your help. I will now try to contact Now broadband
    Be careful, they did not seem to have, or I could find, anywhere to specify a start date

I went to Now, from Waitrose, and Now contacted Waitrose immediately, thus triggering an early cancellation fee. Fortunately I had previously contacted Waitrose due to price increase so the fee was waived

As you are close to end of term I'd be inclined to wait unless you can be 100% sure of change over date. They do not seem to work like Mobile or Energy contracts
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure