Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Fixed deals are great but they've got to end unfortunately. For us the next long fix (March 2017) means a 36% rise. Damn it - that's too much!
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • savetilibleed
    savetilibleed Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know the complete story, but my Mum (who is 84) has always had her electricity from EDF. In recent months, maybe longer, they kept sending her requests for her to read her dial meter. She needs help with that. Recently they wanted to double her DD to £50. Then more recently, they came to read her meter, and she got another bill saying they realised she was paying too much and reduced it to £43. Within days she had another request to read her meter, which after speaking on the phone to them, they told her to ignore, after telling them how recently they had read the meter. And when this bill that came in (forgot this) was an estimate!! Go figure!
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My last EDF bill was based on an actual gas reading but an estimated eleccie reading -which is very strange as the meter reader read both when he visited:rotfl:
    Can only assume that he had misread the eleccie meter and the computer rejected it as "out of range"-as their estimate was almost spot on,I let it run.
    I,too, got an email a couple of days after the visit,asking for meter reads -I just ignored it.
  • cash-strapped
    cash-strapped Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2014 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Had major problem when I switched to EDF on August 2012 (into Blue Price Promise April 2014 deal) but it was not caused by EDF, the problem was Scottish Power and their not knowing where the electricity meter in my property was! Sounds crazy but SP insisted my meter was at a different address. After an initially very poor response from EDF's on-line chat team (somewhere in Asia I think), I finally got everything sorted out in January 2014 (yes, 2014) after very long and protracted communications with EDF in the UK. Their customer service team could not have been better and kept me informed of the 'progress' of my dispute throughout. When I finally got my correct electricity bill (up until then I had effectively paid nothing for my electricity usage) I received a compensation payment of £100 and was not charged for the electricity I had used from August 2012 to December 2012 - something to do with a supplier not being able to charge for a period of more than 12 months.
    Because of their good customer service I shall be sticking with EDF even although I may be able to save a little with some other deals. It is something I think should be taken into account when comparing energy prices and not simply consider the monitary factor.
    :T
  • brycecon
    Options
    I have been with EDF for about 18 months and to be honest haven't really had any problems. As I am coming to the end of my fix I am looking around and EDF is not the cheapest, however a lot of other companies seem to have some bad reviews. A lot of people on this thread seem to have issues with DD but I have been spared that (I submit my readings ever month like clockwork - I am not sure if this makes any difference?).

We started our deal in winter and so for the first 6 months our DD weren't enough to pay the cost but but they never did anything about it. After the summer we were ahead and so they cut our DD from £80 to £61.

I am trying to decide whether to stick with the devil I know for a couple of extra quid a month or to go somewhere cheaper.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DD changed twice lowered .
    Meter readings i enter every month .
    No problems and i would stay with them if the next fix was not so expensive .
    Then again i rarely have problems with any of these big companies .
  • liddlelur
    Options
    Hi all!
    I've just been told by EDF that my direct debit will rise from £22 by letter they said to £36 which is a big hike to start with but 'Live Chat' have confirmed that (Including Warm Home Discount of £135) my bills will jump to £51 I'm on Standard Variable) I live alone and my heating is paid for separately but they say they've projected my useage for the coming year and the best they can do. The new payment won't come out till 19th of April so I need to move fast. I'm on benefits at £22 a month I'm still choosing between food and heat. I'd appreciate anyones views I've just joined the MSE Cheap energy club but the cheapest there is £31 a month.
    Thanks
    Liz
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been with EDF for about 4 years. Tariff ends next month (Blue + Price promise Apr 14), so ran a comparison.

I could save about £70 per year (plus get £40 cashback for switching) by switching to OVO rather than moving to Blue + June 2015.

I've changed my mind a few times, but eventually decided to switch. The only thing that has annoyed me with EDF very recently (hence why I probably decided to switch) was that I asked for a refund of my credit balance (approx £175) - I worked out my monthly usage based on my annual consumption and it came to £71. My DD is £88 and we are just getting over winter period, so my credit is only going to get bigger.

The first customer service advisor emailed back and said that it was no problem, but I would have to accept that my DD might change and if I could confirm if I wanted to proceed with the refund.

I replied stating that I did, however I didn't see why my DD should increase anyway as is greater than my average monthly usage in any case.

Then got a reply from a different advisor basically saying that I could not have a refund and would have to wait until my annual review in June. Also pointed out about the DD amount.

I didn't bother replying and they'll just have to refund me when I switch...
  • Anglicist
    Anglicist Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I have decided to write a review because my experience—unlike most others’—has been all smooth sailing.
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    Yes. After I joined the Cheap Energy Club, I changed the tariff in a click with MyAccount at one of properties in my care and switched to EDF Energy at the other. On both occasions, there were no hassles.
    • Have you had problems since?
    No, none.
    • Is it easy to contact?
    Yes. Before the switch if I had any queries, I would contact them via Live Chat, after—with MyAccount via a “Contact us.” They replied within one working day.

All in all, excellent all round. I could have saved £78 a year by switching to the Cheap Energy Club’s top dual fuel deal, but after I had read some bad customer service feedback from those who use First Utility Energy and others, I decided not to.
  • T_Magnum
    Options
    We have been with EDF for circa 5 years and while they may not be the very cheapest they have always been very close to being so. We did have a very brief issue with them overcharging and increasing my monthly payment based on estimated readings but a very quick phone call sorted that (without sitting in along queue) and we are back running on very satisfactorily. Have just signed up to the July 2015 Blue plus tariff. Again not the absolute cheapest but close to it and not worth the effort or risk of a change. Just a shame they are a French company. Why do the British Co's make such a hash of running a utility Co?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback