Sar Letter

Comments

• Hello, apologies if someone has already asked this but I want to request a SAR from a water company. Do I need to do anything different as the form above is very tailored towards a bank or loan scenario?

Any help would be massively appreciated!! :)

Thanks
  • orchid8809 wrote: »
    I want to request a SAR from a water company. Do I need to do anything different as the form above is very tailored towards a bank or loan scenario?
    Just write them a letter telling them that you require them to send you everything they still have on file for you. Head it "Subject Access Request" and enclose a cheque for £10. They are legally obliged to comply.

However, you might be better calling them up and asking them directly if you have a specific query.
    What exactly is it that you hope to achieve?

Just like Banks, Utility Companies are unlikely to have kept records going back years and years even if you've been a customer of theirs and resident at the same property for decades.
  • Martink93
    Martink93 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi I'm trying to find some information for my dad to claim PPI. He had a mortgage with Abbey national before 1990 and a home improvment loan shortly after is it to late to claim? He doesn't remember the account number and has no paperwork would I just leave that bit out on the SAR and would I address it to Santander as they took over Abbey national or not? This really isn't my kind of department it's frying my brain so any help would be great.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Martink93 wrote: »
    Hi I'm trying to find some information for my dad to claim PPI. He had a mortgage with Abbey national before 1990 and a home improvment loan shortly after is it to late to claim?
    The chances of Santander having records of decades-old finance from a previous lender they took over are remote I'm afraid.

Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.
  • Martink93
    Sad times. So is it even worth sending off a SAR to Santander ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    Sad times. So is it even worth sending off a SAR to Santander ?
    28 years on it will be a waste of money I fear.

Why is it "sad" that personal data is not kept forever? Data protection legislation is surely a good thing in most cases.
  • Martink93
    I'm sure it is good in most cases. I ment sad times because i wont be able to claim ppi without the information needed. Thanks for your help tho.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,622
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm sure it is good in most cases. I ment sad times because i wont be able to claim ppi without the information needed. Thanks for your help tho.

For what it's worth, you don't "claim PPI", nobody is entitled to a refund. You complain it is miss-sold and bank determines if it was or not and may refund you. With a mortgage it's highly unlikely any cover that was in place was miss-sold as it's an insurance that can save your home. Without paperwork, there is no record he even had the cover so there might not even be a policy
  • Martink93
    So it's a big waist of time. At least I know now thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    So it's a big waist of time.
    Not necessarily but, without documentation or even definite knowledge that there was even any PPI, the odds are overwhelmingly against you advancing this any further.

While most mortgage PPI complaints are rejected, it would be unwise to state categorically that none were mis-sold.

However, your big problem is even ascertaining whether you had a PPI policy in the first place.

People have certainly had success with 30+ year old complaints, but invariably those complainants already had comprehensive documentation and very likely still held an account with the same lender.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure