1 year fixed savings

Morning everyone, dumb newbie question...

If you open a 1 year fixed rate savings account that gives you 30 days to deposit from opening (or however many days) do they give you the fixed rate for 1 year from the date you open or the date you make the first deposit. Sorry if I'm thicko I can't find this information on the site anywhere x

Comments

• Malchester
    Malchester Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Hi. You will not get any interest on money that is not actually deposited in an account. Once deposited the money earns interest from the date of deposit. Hope this helps
  • Hi thanks, I obviously understand I won't earn interest on money when it isn't there.

What I'm asking...

If it's a 1 year fix and I open today (12/08/18) and it says you must deposit within 30 days, if I deposit in 14 days as per the conditions (26/08/18)

When do I then have access to my money again (12/08/19 or 26/08/19?) I obviously also understand if it was effectively only a 50 week fix I'd only get 50 weeks interest!

The reason I want to know is I want to know if I can open a 1 year fix end of March next year, deposit on the 6th April then have the money back before April 5th 2020 for the following tax year's ISA allowance.

The best 1 year non-ISA account beats the best 1 year ISA by some way at the moment! x
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    The maturity date will be 12 months from day opened (unless its one of these bonds thats about a year that has a fixed maturity date) but if you deposit 30 days later then all that will happen is you'll get 1 months less interest upon maturity.
  • Malchester
    Malchester Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    There are also accounts that can be opened for a more flexible term. Some firms have accounts for 6 months, 18 months, 30 months. Also Masthaven have a fixed term savings account where you can determine your own fixed term -1 month, 2 months etc etc with a relevant interest. I have taken advantage of these for exactly the same reason as you - to have money available each year for ISA investment at beginning of April
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ah - be careful with some third party brokers like Raisin though.

When you open an account with them - as I did for the £50 intro offer - you have a set amount of time to deposit the cash, then they transfer it to the provider and buy the product. Only then is the term set and it can be a good 10 days post account opening.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mangofish wrote: »

The reason I want to know is I want to know if I can open a 1 year fix end of March next year, deposit on the 6th April then have the money back before April 5th 2020 for the following tax year's ISA allowance.

Whilst in theory this could work out, I wouldn't cut it quite that fine if I had a choice, just to allow for any last minute hickups. Losing your ISA wrapper on the money is worse than losing a tiny amount of extra interest for a few days. Best to check with your chosen provider what exactly the withdrawal terms are, and whether they guarantee you have the money in your current account on the day you must have it. There have been many tales of people not being able to get at their money on the expected day for one reason or another (e.g. payout via cheque only, accounts locked, amount greater than daily max etc).

Also, as NewShadow pointed out, there may be added complexity if you go via Raisin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure