Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I've just had a look at the Trespass site. It looks very similar to the Mountain Warehouse site. I would quite like a gilet for walking in the spring and autumn. I can get quite warm when I'm walking briskly, and a jacket can sometimes seem 'too much'. I'll bear Trespass in mind if/when I decide the time is right.
    Sounds good - the shopping mall visit with my sister is confirmed for Thursday, but my local shopping centre has a Mountain Warehouse, so I might check there beforehand, if I can.
    I see you have dipped your toe into the local Healthy Walk. What a coincidence to meet someone whose daughter is working in Norway
    It felt very New Agey/ very Celestine Prophecy to meet someone like that - coincidences are the universe telling you you're on the path, that sort of thing. Which I didn't mention, as I'd just met her, it makes you sound like a loon :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Ug, I shouldn't have done that shopping on the same day as the walk ... I'm suffering a bit, though I don't think anything's broken. I *have* managed my SB target - increased by 10 pts (25% for me :) ) today. And I'm doing a few HMRC things. Early to bed, I reckon.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    And thank you for your kind words on my energy levels - yep, a few years ago, I thought I'd never be able to travel again. Quite frankly, I thought whatever illness I had might kill me, though I'd never have written that at the time. Now I'm certain I'm better and likely to be more so, it's okay to say. Though I suspect I'll be a bit of a hypochrondriac for the rest of my life :D

Did you read the link about CFS that *Robin* left on her diary? Reading that it would seem that many people did themselves severe and permanent damage by over-exertion (or possibly even just exertion) at the wrong time. I was somewhat shocked by some of the stories, and it's difficult to surprise me these days, never mind shock.
    Cicatriz wrote: »
    I think reading Zero Hedge is motivation to not bother. Why worry about your pension when the world will end, the global markets will crash and your £500K pension will net you roughly an out of date can of aldi beans due to hyper inflation.

I still enjoy reading it though. Must be my innate pessimism.

You should always read things you don't agree with, it keeps you out of your Filter Bubble, and stops you from being blindsided. It's one of the things that makes me read the Guardian from time to time.

And it's often a laugh a minute, especially when they're being earnest.
    Hello Cicatriz :beer: I've realised that there are multiple viewpoints in ZH posts, because of guest posters.

There are, and that's one of its advantages.
    Sometimes the world is going to end,

It always makes me wonder about people's obsession about the end of the world. I never think it matters if the world is going to end, only if it's going to end for me...

For over 100,000 people every year - the world did end. So long as I'm not one of them, I'm OK... :p:cool:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Liverpool One was always kinda crazy at weekends anyway. Besides, I'm a Londoner now, it was good practice. :D

Glad that your energy levels are building again, keep plodding on but don't push yourself too much.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ZTD wrote: »
    You should always read things you don't agree with, it keeps you out of your Filter Bubble, and stops you from being blindsided. It's one of the things that makes me read the Guardian from time to time.

This is the same reason I keep up-to-date with the Telegraph :)
  • Karmacat
    ZTD wrote: »
    Did you read the link about CFS that *Robin* left on her diary? Reading that it would seem that many people did themselves severe and permanent damage by over-exertion (or possibly even just exertion) at the wrong time. I was somewhat shocked by some of the stories, and it's difficult to surprise me these days, never mind shock.
    Can you pm me the linkie to her diary, Z? I definitely agree that over-exertion at the wrong time can set you back - I've done that a couple of times when I was badly ill, just 10 minutes too much set me back a couple of months. It's hard to believe, I think thats why people don't say it much.

And it's often a laugh a minute, especially when they're being earnest.
    I agree, though its hard to laugh at them.

The Grauniad! Well, mostly I agree with it, but there's a strand of bitter mockery that's been growing recently that I find very unpleasant.
    It always makes me wonder about people's obsession about the end of the world. I never think it matters if the world is going to end, only if it's going to end for me...

For over 100,000 people every year - the world did end. So long as I'm not one of them, I'm OK... :p:cool:
    The apocalyptic stuff is odd, isn't it ... there must be some evolutionary use, because though it has peaks and troughs, it never goes away. And yes, apocalypse happens on an individual level every day for some people ...
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Liverpool One was always kinda crazy at weekends anyway. Besides, I'm a Londoner now, it was good practice. :D

Glad that your energy levels are building again, keep plodding on but don't push yourself too much.
    Thanks Michelle :kisses3::kisses3::kisses3:
    Yep, me too. I can't bear to *listen* to Donald Trump, he makes my ears cringe, but I certainly read things about him, just to keep an eye on the wind ...
  • Karmacat
    Finally re-opened my hmrc linkie ... it went a lot smoother than I thought it would. I need to check my credit card statements, to see if there's anything else on there that should be declared, and I might be able to claim for a few books here and there.

But 52% is done! So says hmrc :j It's all the French info to do now, then dividends and savings.

I've opted to pay Class 2 NI for the whole year, it specifically mentions authors "taking a break" :D and I plan to expand the writing a lot this year, so I might as well.

Reached the SB goal today, and got my first winning streak :) 7 days goals on the trot :rotfl:
  • ZTD
    Can you pm me the linkie to her diary, Z?

The post in question is this one: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73676617&postcount=355
    I definitely agree that over-exertion at the wrong time can set you back - I've done that a couple of times when I was badly ill, just 10 minutes too much set me back a couple of months. It's hard to believe, I think thats why people don't say it much.

Well as you read through the article, you may see the parts which made me angry such as "Robert’s story is one of many, although the NHS does not keep a record of harms caused by graded exercise for ME."

When I went through that CFS process, the psychologists were the lunatics in charge of the asylum, and I thank of all the supernatural deities that I had the confidence in my own perception and my knowledge to have said on quite a number of occasions "Tried it, it's bollox and I'm not doing it again." despite rather intense pressure. I could really have harmed myself like some of those people in that article, and ended up going to bed and never leaving.
    I agree, though its hard to laugh at them.

The Grauniad! Well, mostly I agree with it, but there's a strand of bitter mockery that's been growing recently that I find very unpleasant.

To understand that, you need to know the story behind them. The Guardian used to be a group which included Autotrader (the car sale magazine/website). Autotrader was the profitable part of the group, the Guardian the concrete double-decker bus around its feet. In 2014, they sold Autotrader http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/10587296/Guardian-Media-Group-gets-600m-for-AutoTrader-stake.html . Since then, they've been running a loss as a group. If the journalists have any sense (not guaranteed), they will be seeing the writing on the wall, and increasingly fearing the day they have to get a proper job of writing things that people want to read, rather than their current self-indulgent flashing their virtue in every direction to everyone that comes near - like a drunken Scotsman with a particularly white arse.
    The apocalyptic stuff is odd, isn't it ... there must be some evolutionary use, because though it has peaks and troughs, it never goes away.

Well people who look forward to the apocalypse (forward as into the future, rather than with anticipation), are by-definition not here-and-now people. You may find people who've stockpiled food for "the Rapture" rather handy when the rather more mundane "we've stopped dredging the rivers and it has flooded like only 99 people out of 100 said it would" unexpected event occurs.
    Yep, me too. I can't bear to *listen* to Donald Trump, he makes my ears cringe, but I certainly read things about him, just to keep an eye on the wind ...

I don't listen to him, and I don't read beyond the headlines if the headline can be explained by "People who don't like Donald Trump making stuff up to show they don't like Donald Trump."
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD

To be honest, the only person worth reading in the Telegraph is Christopher Booker.

His searing contempt for the council leaders, social workers, barristers and judges that threaten him is quite refreshing.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Thanks for the linkie, Z - I'll read that later on, I'm still in tax declaration mode, it's just that I'm skiving right now ...

So sorry to hear the !!!!!ness that you've gone through - and yes, thank god you had the courage of your own convictions. Counselling on the NHS was wrecked by the demand for evidence, but they don't keep any record of graded exercise mistakes? Disgusting :(

Interesting about the Grauniad, though, I'd deffo sensed something was up. And I'm not going anywhere near the whole "making things up" debate, I want to be able to sleep at night :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure