Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area

Comments

• ladygogs
    ladygogs Posts: 76 Forumite
    I have a PayPal pre-pay card, which has been great except when It hasn't been accepted... QVC and Virgin Media Grrrr... That is most irksome, it does say that it can be used anywhere you can use an ordinary Visa, not so!
    Still musn't grumble too much, it gets you out of a hole ;-)
    In 2010 I intend to lose 36.5lbs and gain 365 £s
    :A :money:

Progress so far: 0 lbs 0 £
    10k in 2010 total: £7.47
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    The Paypal card is technically very similar to a Visa Electron card. If it will not swipe or the Chip goes, card numbers beginning 4544 (or is it 4844) cannot be keyed into the shop terminal.
  • I wanted to give my daughter and son a paypal card each for Christmas but for the last fortnight every time I fill in the forms at the very last bit when it's suppose to get the funding from my paypal account a message comes up saying
    I am sorry we are unable to complete your request, please try again later.

Please try again.

I've emailed paypal twice and they say its a technical problem and they are dealing with it. It does seem to be taking them an exceedingly long time!
    Does anyone know what's happening ?
  • Hope this thread is OK for asking about VISA ELECTRON - I think it is a card that can only be used if you have funds actually available, but seem to be having all sorts of problems accessing any details of where to get one! Can anyone help please?
  • Hope this thread is OK for asking about VISA ELECTRON - I think it is a card that can only be used if you have funds actually available, but seem to be having all sorts of problems accessing any details of where to get one! Can anyone help please?

The Co-Op's Cashminder, Halifax Easycash... that's the main two that spring to mind.
  • Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a pre paid Visa or Visa Electron card that CAN be used for online gaming sites. I cannot seem to find one anywhere! There are plenty of Maestro options but some of the sites I want to use do not accept Meastro.
    Many Thanks
    Better to burn out..... than to fade away...
  • Hello everyone!

Please can someone tell me if it would benifit me getting a pre paid card to improve my credit rating?? The only thing is I am on a DMP ? would this benifit me even though i am on this DMP?

Thanks in advance :D
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In general no, beause no credit facility is involved i.e. you are not borrowing money from them meremly loading you're own onto it. so they do not report to a CRA, though the one's that charge a monthly fee might, cashplus for example.

They are very expensive, and charge you to use your own money, if you need a debit card, useing a savings account with a debit card might of more advantage, natwest reward reserve for example has a solo card.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • Thanks robin :)

It was one of the paying ones i meant i read martins artical and it says it can help you if you have poor credit rating as long as you make sure you pay the 9.99 a month and dont miss a payment?

Many thanks
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    9.99 is a lot though to use one of these cards, if you do and it does report to a CRA then it MAY be of benefit. Don't forget my advice re debit cards linked to savings accounts.

Good luck.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure