How can I get car finance for myself through a parent without a driving licence?

Options
Hi, i am currently on an Iva and had to scrap my old car. My mum has offered to get me the finance for another car, however she does not have a licence, so for most lenders this is a requirement. Is there way she can obtain the finance, or become guarantor so I can get the car through her? My father has a licence but is absolutely no good with these types of things and won't want to deal with the stress. Could she obtain one with his drivers licence on his behalf putting the car in his name, with me as a named driver? Desperately need transport as I have 3 kids to ferry about any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Shatzy08 and welcome to MSE,

There are several things to consider in this situation. First of all, if you would be expected to pay your parents for the car on a monthly basis that could be a problem. Likewise, if you took out the finance and they acted as guarantor. You would need to check the terms and conditions of your IVA carefully, but most will say that you cannot take on new debt during the course of an IVA, causing it to fail. Paying your parents would be a new debt. Of course, if they are able to make the monthly payments then that isn't an issue.

You should do a bit more research regarding the type of finance. If it is made clear that only the finance is in your mother's name, and you will be the registered keeper of the car, then are you sure she needs a licence? Also is car financing the only way they can help you? If it was possible for them to buy something outright, perhaps just a cheap 'run around' for now, then the finance and IVA are less of a concern. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    She would be better served obtaining a loan for you, which they would have to repay, just get something cheap.

Or save up from your allocated budget and buy a cheap runaround.

Any other option would cause you serious issues with your IVA.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Shatzy08
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Laura, I would be paying the finance with help from my partner who is nothing to do with my iva, as we are not married, so my thought was not to inform them as his circumstances are technically none of their business. But he already has his own finance and obligations trying to sort a mortgage which is why we are going through my mother rather than him. Ive read you need a full UK driving license for finance but she doesn't drive. I suppose she could get me a loan but I preferable wanted a new car with all the cover for repairs if needed?
  • Shatzy08
    Options
    Ok thanks. The IVA wasn't really my concern as my partner would be technically paying fir the car and he is not involved with the iva as we're not married. I will look into loan options aswell.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think its best just to try and buy a car for £1,000 or £1500 if you can go for a cheaper brand such as toyota or ford as parts are very cheap compared to german brand as an example

we bought a toyota yaris 2007 5 door 1.4 diesel £30 road tax

cheap to tax, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, cheap to run

it costs us £1750 all in including 12 months mot

dont get finance and dont get mum to take antything out in her name this never ends well... trust me if someone told me this before i got into debt it would have made a huge diffrence
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    agree with rat race. there are reasons why you are under an IVA in the first place - why take out debt you cannot afford, and this will be with a family member, not mainstrean lenders!

even though your partner will be paying, for him etc, have you looked at worst case scenario? what happens if you break up? he has a car with no responsibility of having to repay, as loan not in his name. or, if car in your name and you split up, you now in an IVA, with a car, and your mum is stuck with the debt? not trying to sound harsh, but you must look at it at every angle possible

money and family rarely mix well together... get something reliable for cheap plenty of good deals out there
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What sort of finance are you seeking? Unless I'm missing something here, why do you need a driving licence to get a loan, other than as a form of ID?
    You don't have to finance through a dealer on PCP or HP, you can get a personal loan.
    However the advice given to buy a car for a grand or so is sound. When you buy a new car, up to 30% comes off it's value in the 1st year through depreciation. You cannot afford it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Shatzy08 wrote: »
    I suppose she could get me a loan but I preferably wanted a new car with all the cover for repairs if needed?

Your in an IVA, presumably because you had serious unmanageable debt, now you want to add another large sum to the family debt to buy a car ?

That is a seriously bad idea on so many levels, you do not appear to of learnt any lessons from this experience thus far, someone in your position would be quite justified in raking together say £1000 to buy something to get you around in, but not a brand new car !!!

That is way out of the ball park, even if its not technically your debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said. It sounds like you have no learned from your IVA and are still trying to use credit to maintain your lifestyle, this is a very slippery slope and to drag a family member into it as well is very silly. What happens if you and your partner split up? If his mortgage payment goes up? If he looses his job? etc etc.

How far into your IVA are you? What is your monthly repayment? It could be possible to speak to the IVA company regarding the situation and see if you could take a payment break or two so that you have the funds to buy a cheaper car, there is no need to spend thousands on a car.

Also, how much did you manage to scrap your old car for? This is the start of your 'pot' for your new car and you are best to provide evidence of this to your IVA company as it will have been listed as an asset on your IVA. I am guessing the amount was low, so no action may be required, however it says any confusion or questions later down the line.
  • Clouds88
    Clouds88 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with the others, please think about this sensibly. I am currently bankrupt and I never want credit again in my life, or to put my family in that position.

We have one run around car, I pay £2 tax, £14 insurance and £2 breakdown a month. Petrol is cheap too. That means you!!!8217;ll have more money in case it goes wrong and if it goes really wrong scrap it and start again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure