Capital Gains Tax

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me understand my capital gains tax. I live in Scotland, not sure if that's relevant.

I've just sold a flat that I've owned for 16 years. I lived in it for 12 years and rented it for the last 4 years.

We made 90k profit and myself and my wife are both close to the higher bracket of tax.

How do I work out what I should expect to pay and is there anything obvious I should do to reduce this cost.

Thanks in advance, milo909.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 August 2018 at 11:06PM
    read this, it covers all you need

adjust it for the fact the property is jointly owned (I assume) with your wife so the gain is in your respective shares and each needs to calculate their own PRR and LR

if the 90k is before any PRR and LR deductions then the chance of you having any tax to pay is totally non existent

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73621764&postcount=2
  • Thanks 00ec25, I'll have a proper read tomorrow but that looks pretty promissing!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, milo.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    milo909 wrote: »
    Thanks 00ec25, I'll have a proper read tomorrow but that looks pretty promissing!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, milo.
    afterthought: ADJUST FOR YOUR SCOTTISH TAX THRESHOLDS - I have no idea what they are as I have no interest in things uuuup north :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure