Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Apr 19, 7:35 AM
    • 22,417 Posts
    • 18,430 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:35 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:35 AM
    Have you invested heavily in tin hat shares and are trying to push up the price?

• chrisw
    • By chrisw 16th Apr 19, 7:45 AM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:45 AM
    I don't know whether it does or not and I don't really care.

I'm sure 'where's my socks?' and 'who's left the top off the toothpaste again?' are not issues of high national importance.

• Takmon
    • By Takmon 16th Apr 19, 7:45 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Takmon
    Does anybody believe that there's a strong likelihood that the Google Home and the Amazon Echo listen and record conversations around them and that a copy of these conversations are permanently kept?

Does anybody else think most likely the NSA and other relevant UK agencies are scooping up that intel but all of course "automated" so that when they say it's not listened to by humans it's ok.

I personally think this is fairly likely. I wont' be purchasing one and I don't keep the smart TV part switched on either in case that to starts listening to me and uploading the conversations in my home.
    Originally posted by gabriel73195
    No this does not happen. Many people who know what they are doing have looked at the network traffic from Echos and Google Homes and have found that information is only sent to the servers after you have issued the wake up command.

It's relatively simple to check yourself and see the amount of data is nowhere near enough for it to be sending constant audio recordings to the server.

You can also check on the apps to see what each device has recorded and the commands it has recognised and what it hasn't.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 16th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 5,415 Posts
    • 3,207 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    Surely you should replace the word "Microsoft" by "GCHQ" throughout your post?

What the world needs are better conspiracy theories!
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 16th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    • 5,415 Posts
    • 3,207 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    I refer you to the post I made some moments earlier:

What the world needs are better conspiracy theories!
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:42 AM
    Microsoft alone has 1.2 Billion users. Why would they be interested in individuals who like swinging......Your secret is safe.......
    Be more wary of your Government than MS or Google......Until they are your Government...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 1,931 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    Does anybody believe that there's a strong likelihood that the Google Home and the Amazon Echo listen and record conversations around them and that a copy of these conversations are permanently kept?

Does anybody else think most likely the NSA and other relevant UK agencies are scooping up that intel but all of course "automated" so that when they say it's not listened to by humans it's ok.

I personally think this is fairly likely. I wont' be purchasing one and I don't keep the smart TV part switched on either in case that to starts listening to me and uploading the conversations in my home.
    You know that worrying needlessly about these things shortens your life?
    The NSA and GCHQ will be monitoring this forum and know that you are keeping secrets. Best be very careful what you say.....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 12,863 Thanks
    -taff
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:59 AM
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    After looking at their posting history that's another idiot on my ignore list.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Apr 19, 9:39 AM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Originally posted by -taff
    Central Intelligence Agency with that grammatical error!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Apr 19, 9:45 AM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Is there any truth in the notion that if you have the privacy settings set in a certain way that every single word you type on Windows 10 gets sent up to the Microsoft servers and stored forever?
    If it was true, Microsoft would already have "fixed" Windows 10 given the number of complaints, especially about updates, that are typed into Google.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 16th Apr 19, 10:18 AM
    • 5,285 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    Jon 01
    According to the conspiracy theories anyone with an iPhone is being listened to all the time. That's why the CIA/NSA/FBI/ made Apple make it with a none removable battery.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Apr 19, 11:10 AM
    • 6,752 Posts
    • 6,666 Thanks
    DoaM
    Central Intelligence Agency with that grammatical error!
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    Either you've mis-read (the CIA allegedly responded to the comment - they didn't make the original comment), or you're commenting on the fact that the word Intelligence in their name looks odd in their response. (Hard to tell if it's a capital or small letter I).

Which is it? The latter I hope, else the joke's on you.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 16th Apr 19, 11:37 AM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    wongataa
    Is there any truth in the notion that if you have the privacy settings set in a certain way that every single word you type on Windows 10 gets sent up to the Microsoft servers and stored forever?
    Nope

What about if you use your voice to speak to Cortana, does every word you utter into the microphone get permanently stored in the Microsoft servers?
    Nope.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Apr 19, 11:40 AM
    • 5,989 Posts
    • 34,772 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I can verify that my phone pad box thing does not listen when the current Mrs Blackbeard rings!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Apr 19, 11:55 AM
    • 22,417 Posts
    • 18,430 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I can verify that my phone pad box thing does not listen when the current Mrs Blackbeard rings!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth

But is the current Mrs Blackbeard listening when the previous Mrs Blackbeard rings?
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 16th Apr 19, 12:14 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Have you any idea how much storage that would take?

I keep some old junk that ought to be thrown out, but this notion takes hoarding to the next level.
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 16th Apr 19, 12:21 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Geodark
    I dont know about before the wake up word, but everything after is - I went back the other day and listened to some of mine - and i have to say my taste in music after a few beers is quite shocking!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    • 7,152 Posts
    • 13,301 Thanks
    Farway
    Oh I love this question or comment! I have read that there's enough storage in existence to record every single word that has EVER been uttered on the planet. Isn't that an interesting tidbit or factoid?
    I read similar, but "problem" GCHQ, CIA etc have is the sheer amount of the stuff, easy to filter out K*lashnikov using AI, but harder to spot intent when mixed in with the knitting patterns, pouting teenagers & cute kittens
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,085Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin