Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Fantastic news about the 6 month contract .........go hubby xx

Thanks Abba :)
    Fascinating reading about differing experiences of temperature. I'm one of the 'hot' people !! When I go to one of my Scrabble clubs there are always several people in thick jumpers while I'm in a t-shirt. Heaven knows how they manage if it gets really cold.

We've been without the internet since last Friday, when we changed our provider but the new router hadn't come. We had an email on the Wed saying the router would be with us in 3-5 working days (so zero chance of it arriving in time), and we'd get another email when all was ready to change. Well, without internet access we haven't read any emails ! I came back online today to 672 emails - aarrgh ! Still, we are getting a free month as compensation.
    We still had 2 ideas up our sleeves: taking a very long bus ride as our buses have free wi-fi (we have bus passes), or having a coffee at a fairly local McDonalds which is similarly equipped.
    I've missed it !!

I'm glad you've got your internet back Elizabeth. We feel very cut off without it, don't we?
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone for the cashmere gloves suggestions and for the link from you, HH:T:T:T. Plenty of food for thought there. I'll definitely be treating myself to a pair before the weather gets really cold. It was really chilly this morning when I was making my first cup of tea at 6 o'clock:eek:. The sign of things to come:(

Commiserations on your internet woes, Elizabeth. I'm glad you have it back again:T. Broadband came very late to our village, I had to rely on the really slow dial-up for so long. Although things are much better with broadband it's the regular type, not superfast and there's no hope of any of the cable companies venturing this far either. We don't even have mains gas within 4 miles of here:eek:. Whenever I question my broadband speed they do a test and say it's working fine and that's the best I'm likely to get because of the distance of our property from the exchange. Seems odd to me that old rural telephone exchanges still play such an important role in internet efficiency:(.

The cashmere gloves could be a good investment for you Carboot if you can find some you can afford. They are sooooo warm.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Every Christmas DH buys me either cashmere gloves or cashmere socks. I tend to be one who falls into the too hot category and I only wear gloves when out and about and prefer leather. Last year's offering was from a by appointment to royals supplier and were cream cashmere gloves. I don't want to be ungrateful but.... Cream!
    It's too much money for him to be spending on something that I don't need or use. I do wear the socks occasionally but 2 pairs is the max needed. However he knows I love cashmere. Unfortunately, my cardigans have been attacked by moths to the extent that one is now referred to as the colandered cardigan. This is despite being stored with cedar cubes

I'd be very upset if my cashmere gloves got moth eaten :eek:. What did you store your cashmere cardigans in DIA? My woollies are stored in plastic boxes with tight lids and I put cedar balls in. I don't see how moths could get in but it's still a worry to me!
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I enjoyed my volunteering and had another very nice volunteer to chat to at breaktime. It's dry and bright so no wet playtime today. I feel like I've learnt (remembered) a lot of grammar and basic maths this morning :).

This afternoon I could do some dusting as I finally remembered to buy furniture polish. I could also wash some towels. Now that DS3 is away, DS2 seems to be showering more frequently, rolls eyes.

I was just interrupted by a cold caller who denied that he was a cold caller :mad:. He started talking and I pointed to the sign that said "No cold callers."
    He said "I'm not a cold caller."
    I said "Did I ask you to call? If I didn't ask you to call then you're a cold caller, so please don't ring my doorbell again."
    All the while he was denying that he was a cold caller, so I just shut the door in his face :mad:.

Is it just me, or are some people either stupid or just won't take no for an answer?
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Just catching up, wow your thread moves fast!!

Yay to DH securing new work :j.

Lovely that your SIL took DS3 to the cinema etc.

Boo to nasty cold callers Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Lucky :)
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congrats to your DH :T

I was just interrupted by a cold caller who denied that he was a cold caller :mad:. He started talking and I pointed to the sign that said "No cold callers."
    He said "I'm not a cold caller."
    I said "Did I ask you to call? If I didn't ask you to call then you're a cold caller, so please don't ring my doorbell again."
    All the while he was denying that he was a cold caller, so I just shut the door in his face :mad:.

Is it just me, or are some people either stupid or just won't take no for an answer?

I had the exact same conversation with someone the other day :mad: It was a national company so I complained to them on FB.

It really bugs me, they don't know why we don't want people knocking on the doors. I make a point of never using the company who ignores the (very prominent) sign!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Congrats to your DH :T

I had the exact same conversation with someone the other day :mad: It was a national company so I complained to them on FB.

It really bugs me, they don't know why we don't want people knocking on the doors. I make a point of never using the company who ignores the (very prominent) sign!

I'm glad it's not just me, it drives me potty :mad:. What DO they think a cold caller is if they're not one? I've got better things to do than answer my door and discuss the meaning of cold calling with a stranger, on my cold doorstep! Just respect the sign and don't ring my doorbell in the first place :mad:.

I've no idea where this one was from as I didn't give him a chance to say :) but he looked like the sort who would be hoping to catch an elderly person and do a distraction burglary.

The person previous to him who rang the bell was a political canvasser who also claimed not to be a cold caller. The exact same scenario unfolded; "Did I ask you to call?...." :mad:.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    This is the Collins Dictionary definition of cold calling:

"If someone makes a cold call, they telephone or visit someone they have never contacted, without making an appointment, in order to try and sell something."

I know they all claim they're not selling anything, but selling products, services, or political ideaology is all selling to my mind :mad:.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 18 October 2018 at 3:19PM
    Options
    This is the Collins Dictionary definition of cold calling:

"If someone makes a cold call, they telephone or visit someone they have never contacted, without making an appointment, in order to try and sell something."

I know they all claim they're not selling anything, but selling products, services, or political ideaology is all selling to my mind :mad:.

Thanks for the definition, HH. I've often wondered what the exact definition of a cold caller is. It's a term we all use so frequently too.

I too am maddened by people ignoring our signs:(. Sometimes, to give them the benefit of the doubt when knocking or ringing, it's obvious that they aren't British and English isn't their first language. OH says if they've already pestered several other people with similar signs up and been sent away with a flea in their ear they should have got the message and understand what the signs mean whatever their native language is. We used to get a lot of young men with very poor English who looked middle-eastern (a rare sight round here where everyone is white) who carried huge bags full of tea towels and cheap kitchenware that they were trying to sell. They all ,looked so thin and hungry-looking and I felt terrible for turning them away without buying or even letting them show me what they had for sale. Surprisingly,OH succumbed a couple of times and the tea towels he bought were absolute rubbish:eek:

The worst, in my experience, are the charity collectors or those who want us to sign up for leaving them something in our wills or to sponsor a guide dog or something. I feel really bad about turning them away but they're still cold calling after all's said and done. I resent being made to feel mean and uncaring ,not by the collectors who are always so nice, but by my own attitude towards them and unwillingness to help their causes.

At least with a cold call phone call we can just put the phone down:j. Face to face with a caller, especially a charity volunteer, it's so much more difficult.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback