AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,176 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been with Autoaid for several years now, they cover me and my husband in any car for £42. I pay by credit card and they don't auto renew. I've used them twice, once under the old system, I forgot to send the invoice in for over six months but cheque arrived by return of post. Clutch went 2 miles from home recently, chap came in 37 minutes, took us home and car to garage of our choice. I would thoroughly recommend it.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Loule
    Loule Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I see this year there is an extra charge for paying by cheque. I don't think there has been a charge for this in previous years.
  • matphil
    matphil Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Does anyone know if Autoaid covers you for lost keys, thanks.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 June 2017 at 5:49PM
    Options
    matphil wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Autoaid covers you for lost keys, thanks.
    Yes, loss of ignition keys is covered under breakdown.
    https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/documents/AutoAid%20Policy%20Booklet%20December%202016.pdf
  • FrenchFrancks
    Options
    I ordered breakdown cover for my mother-in-law via AutoAid based on the good reviews on MSE. Within 24 hours my mother-in-law had decided to stick with her current provider. Despite the fact that it has been less than 24 hours since the order was made and the policy start date was still more than a week away, AutoAid demanded a cancellation charge equivalent to 30% of the premium.
    I certainly wouldn't recommend them.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The cancellation charge is set out in the ts & cs.

This is all down to you not reading or not understanding them and nothing to do with mse and the reviews on the mse forum.
  • FrenchFrancks
    Options
    Many other providers offer a cooling off period and a full refund before this has elapsed. Yes it's in the terms and conditions but I still think it is something worth making others aware of.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Many other providers offer a cooling off period and a full refund before this has elapsed. Yes it's in the terms and conditions but I still think it is something worth making others aware of.
    They do.

However Autoaid will also give partial refunds after the cooling off period until the policy is up to 8 months old.

Try getting a penny back of AA etc once the cooling off period has passed! (You can't - no refunds after day 14!)

Compare the £15 you were charged (which you agreed to pay) with the cost of cancelling an AA or RAC etc policy after just 14 days!!
  • FrenchFrancks
    Options
    I just cancelled my own personal policy with the RAC within the cooling off period and wasn't charged a penny. A generous refund after a partially run policy is a competely different matter to the refund before a policy has even begun.
  • Quentin
    edited 12 June 2017 at 8:10AM
    Options
    You misread my post which agrees others don't charge during the cooling off period.

If you cancelled on day 15 though you wouldn't have got a penny back off RAC!

But your solution is to read and understand the ts + cs before agreeing them (especially as you seem to cancel breakdown policies more than most!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback