PIP after age 65?

Options
I realise that PIP can be reduced at any time, but can someone who receives low rate mobility prior to age 65 claim higher rate at their "review"?.

Not for me but a close relative.
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed

Comments

• WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Has the relative reached State Retirement Age?

See the advice here

https://www.gov.uk/pip
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I realise that PIP can be reduced at any time, but can someone who receives low rate mobility prior to age 65 claim higher rate at their "review"?

Once they are over pension age, which is slightly higher than 65, the mobility rate award cannot be increased.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AgeUK

If you are 65 or over You cannot normally start to receive either rate of the mobility component after the age of 65, although you continue to receive it if it was awarded before your 65th birthday. If awarded the standard rate of the mobility component before you reach 65, you cannot move to the enhanced rate if your needs increase after you reach 65. If awarded the enhanced rate of the mobility component before you reach 65 and your mobility needs reduce to a level that qualifies for the standard rate after 65, you can move to the standard rate (and back to the enhanced rate if your mobility needs increase again within a year). If you are over 65 and receive the mobility component and you start to have daily living needs or your need for assistance with daily living increases, you can ask for a supersession and qualify for the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component in the same way as those under 65.
  • calcotti
    Options
    The information on the the AgeUK website is slightly out of date. Everywhere it says "65" you should read it as "pension age" which is now a moving target and for all new retirees is higher than 65.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all, the person in question is female and retirement age is approx 66, will check later, but anyway it will be after the 2 year award is reviewed so we need to think very carefully whether we should appeal.

Will thank you all on the button shortly once I have my head around this.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• cyclonebri1
    Options
    Can someone point me in the direction of a link to where the PIP mobility requirements state that the distance should be able to be done repeatedly and in good time. I can remember snippets but don't recall where the info, if it's accurate, is derived from.

• calcotti
    Options
    Can someone point me in the direction of a link to where the PIP mobility requirements state that the distance should be able to be done repeatedly and in good time. I can remember snippets but don't recall where the info, if it's accurate, is derived from.

See this https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Read part 2.2 in particular about 'reliability'. This applies to all the descriptors.
  • cyclonebri1
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »

No, it's not the document I recall reading, there is more detail in the page I read just can't recall what site. May even have been in the PIP notes on filling out the form which for some reason I can't find, or did that go back with the application thinking about it.

• cyclonebri1
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »

That;s the one cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport