Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rangout
    • By rangout 15th Apr 19, 3:55 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rangout
    Universal Credit dispute
    • 15th Apr 19, 3:55 PM
    Universal Credit dispute 15th Apr 19 at 3:55 PM
    Last week they closed my UC account, as they wrongly assumed I was paid by a (non existent) employer. Obviously, they didn't bother telling me, I found out when I logged onto my journal

This was done last Tuesday. I took my bank statements to them last Thursday and was told it should be resolved in a couple of days. After hearing nothing from them, I went to see them and have now been told it could be a while before it gets resolved (it's getting passed up to the central office to be looked at). They should have called this afternoon to let me know what's happening, but haven't.

It's almost a week without money. Does anyone know how long this should take?
Page 1
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 15th Apr 19, 4:17 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:17 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:17 PM
    I didn't think they closed it anyway? If it showed up you were paid and resulted in a nil payment I thught it stayed open for six months?
    • rangout
    • By rangout 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rangout
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    I can view it, but I can't update it, and neither can they

The front page says the claim has been closed
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 15th Apr 19, 4:46 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:46 PM
    I didn't think they closed it anyway? If it showed up you were paid and resulted in a nil payment I thught it stayed open for six months?
    Originally posted by MarkN88
    Some offices, at least one that I am aware of personally, close as soon as there is a nil entitlement period. They seem to treat it much like an IS claim would have been treated.
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 15th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    If you know you don't have income you should submit a reclaim as soon as possible. Log in on your usual details and do this as soon as possible. Once you've submitted a reclaim you may be able to request an advance payment. Not ideal but if you are desperate..

Not much you can do about the dispute except wait. They will have been told by HMRC that an employer has paid you. They will go back to HMRC who may need to contact the employer.
    • rangout
    • By rangout 15th Apr 19, 5:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rangout
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:59 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:59 PM
    I can't do anything with the account. Because they closed it, I'm not able to add any details

No one at the job centre told me about a reclaim. They keep telling me it'll be resolved in a couple of days, but that's now turned into the next week or so. In the meantime, I've been advised not to open a new claim, as they will have to close it in order to reopen the old one!
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 15th Apr 19, 6:11 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:11 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:11 PM
    When you log in you the first thing you should see is a message saying your claim has been closed. There should be a green button there you use to reclaim.

You don't want to start a completley new claim. You need to use your old account. Your claim closing may be a mistake but this happens correctly to people all the time and the reclaim procedure is there so they can be assessed again for the next period if they know their income could be lower.
    • rangout
    • By rangout 15th Apr 19, 6:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rangout
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:14 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:14 PM
    I've been told by the job centre to leave it for the time being

But if they won't give me a timescale for this mess,. I'm going in tomorrow to do it
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 15th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    See here.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/reapply-for-universal-credit/

I think you may have been told incorrectly on this. It's true you shouldn't make a completley new claim, but you need to reclaim if you want to be assessed for the next payment. Cant see why this would affect your dispute in any way, but maybe speak to them again.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 15th Apr 19, 6:52 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    tomtom256
    They may be trying to reopen it without a break in the claim, if it is reopened prior to this by you then you may miss out on any payment due.

I would ring the service centre and discuss it with them to see what is being done to be safe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

676Posts Today

5,469Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin