Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 15th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    • 5,503Posts
    • 2,566Thanks
    paulfoel
    If you can't get SSP - SSP1 form?
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    If you can't get SSP - SSP1 form? 15th Apr 19 at 10:11 AM
    Long story, currently off sick, and I can get full pay for so many weeks, but then may not be elligible for SSP from employer (due to income). Long story but its because one temp contract ends.

They've mentioned SSP1 form and jobcentre?

In the event that full pay ends, I'm still on the sick (likely) what are my options?

Also, if sick pay ends on the friday, do I have to get it sorted with jobcentre on the monday with the SSP1 form? (not sure if employer will have sorted by then?). Aware of how things are with jobcentre and backdating for things like JSA (i.e. they won't).
    Cymru am Byth !!!
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 6,257 Posts
    • 6,947 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    There is no reason the employer can't issue the SSP1 in advance of the end date of company sick pay. The form requires the date from which SSP will not be paid, and the reason. Once you have that you will need to put in a claim for UC or New Style ESA, depending on your NI contributions over the past 2 years.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 15th Apr 19, 11:27 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:27 AM
    • 15th Apr 19, 11:27 AM
    If an employer pays OSP that exceeds SSP then they don’t have to pay SSP. However, the first 28 weeks is still the SSP period and the employer should provide the form to say why they won’t pay it when the period ends.

If you’re still sick, it won’t be JSA, it will be ESA. DWP should backdate to the Saturday if you contact on the Monday because they don’t offer the service over the weekend.

New Style ESA will be based on national insurance contributions over the last two tax years completed before the year you claim. If you to claim an income related benefit this will be Universal Credit, it can be claimed online.
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 15th Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    paulfoel
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    There is no reason the employer can't issue the SSP1 in advance of the end date of company sick pay. The form requires the date from which SSP will not be paid, and the reason. Once you have that you will need to put in a claim for UC or New Style ESA, depending on your NI contributions over the past 2 years.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Usual "computer says no" until they get the actual sick note. Although I see they can provided the SSP1 up to 7 days after the end.
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 15th Apr 19, 12:46 PM
    • 3,138 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 12:46 PM
    The SSP1 form should be issued within 7 days of the start of the sickness.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 15th Apr 19, 1:05 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:05 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 1:05 PM
    The SSP1 form should be issued within 7 days of the start of the sickness.
    Originally posted by chrisbur
    Are you sure that isn't the self cert?
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 15th Apr 19, 2:16 PM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    paulfoel
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:16 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:16 PM
    If an employer pays OSP that exceeds SSP then they don’t have to pay SSP. However, the first 28 weeks is still the SSP period and the employer should provide the form to say why they won’t pay it when the period ends.

If you’re still sick, it won’t be JSA, it will be ESA. DWP should backdate to the Saturday if you contact on the Monday because they don’t offer the service over the weekend.

New Style ESA will be based on national insurance contributions over the last two tax years completed before the year you claim. If you to claim an income related benefit this will be Universal Credit, it can be claimed online.
    Originally posted by sportsarb
    Can you do new ESA online?
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 15th Apr 19, 2:21 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:21 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 2:21 PM
    Can you do new ESA online?
    Originally posted by paulfoel
    Nope, but you can do it over the phone, or you could complete a PDF version of the form and print it off then send it in.

I’m desperately anti-social so I did the PDF.

Edit: https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim

Apparently you can’t do it over the phone.
    Last edited by sportsarb; 15-04-2019 at 2:23 PM.
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 15th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 3,138 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    chrisbur
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    Are you sure that isn't the self cert?
    Yes I am positive the following is from ....
    https://www.gov.uk/calculate-statutory-sick-pay/y/none/yes/no/2019-04-01/2019-04-15/no/eight_weeks_more/weekly/2019-03-29/2019-02-01/800.0/1,2,4,5
    "If an employee is not eligible or their SSP ends
    Employees may be able to apply for Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). They use form SSP1 to support their application.

If your employee’s SSP is ending you must send them form SSP1 either:

within 7 days of their SSP ending, if it ends unexpectedly while they’re still sick
    on or before the beginning of the 23rd week, if their SSP is expected to end before their sickness does
    If your employee does not qualify for SSP you must send them form SSP1 within 7 days of them going off sick.

If your employee thinks this is unfair, they can appeal to HMRC - the form tells them how to do this."
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 15th Apr 19, 4:16 PM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    paulfoel
    Yes I am positive the following is from ....
    https://www.gov.uk/calculate-statutory-sick-pay/y/none/yes/no/2019-04-01/2019-04-15/no/eight_weeks_more/weekly/2019-03-29/2019-02-01/800.0/1,2,4,5
    "If an employee is not eligible or their SSP ends
    Employees may be able to apply for Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). They use form SSP1 to support their application.

If your employee’s SSP is ending you must send them form SSP1 either:

within 7 days of their SSP ending, if it ends unexpectedly while they’re still sick
    on or before the beginning of the 23rd week, if their SSP is expected to end before their sickness does
    If your employee does not qualify for SSP you must send them form SSP1 within 7 days of them going off sick.

If your employee thinks this is unfair, they can appeal to HMRC - the form tells them how to do this."
    So 7 days after end of SSP not start of sickness.
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 15th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    paulfoel
    Nope, but you can do it over the phone, or you could complete a PDF version of the form and print it off then send it in.

I’m desperately anti-social so I did the PDF.

Edit: https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim

Apparently you can’t do it over the phone.
    But then supposing it takes a few days to get there - what date do they let you claim from?
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 15th Apr 19, 4:52 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    sportsarb
    But then supposing it takes a few days to get there - what date do they let you claim from?
    This should answer it, you can print it off and fill it in, but you will need to attend an interview anyway so ring them the first possible date you can.

Info gleaned from this link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/790586/nsesaf1-interactive.PDF

How to claim new style ESA
    Step 1 - Book a New Claim Appointment
    To make your claim you need to take your completed form to a New
    Claim Appointment at your local jobcentre. They will check your claim
    form and look at the supporting information you have provided. They
    will also talk to you about what help they can give you while you claim
    new style ESA. Your appointment may last up to 1 hour and 20 minutes.
    If you do not have details of an appointment yet, you should contact us
    to arrange one.
    If you are already getting Universal Credit you may not need to make
    an appointment. Use your online Universal Credit account to contact us
    for more information on what to do with this claim form and if you need to
    make an appointment.
    • If you got this claim form online: book a New Claim Appointment
    straight away by calling: 0800 328 5644 (press option 2 then option 6)
    or Textphone: 0800 328 1344.
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 15th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 3,138 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    chrisbur
    So 7 days after end of SSP not start of sickness.
    No you need to read the bit I underlined....
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 16th Apr 19, 10:31 AM
    • 5,503 Posts
    • 2,566 Thanks
    paulfoel
    No you need to read the bit I underlined....
    Oh right. Employer is saying they can't possibly decide until they get the sick note and enter it onto the system - 7 days of self certify so I cant get a sick note until today. Can guarantee it'll take at least a week for them to process.
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 16th Apr 19, 10:58 AM
    • 3,138 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    chrisbur
    Oh right. Employer is saying they can't possibly decide until they get the sick note and enter it onto the system - 7 days of self certify so I cant get a sick note until today. Can guarantee it'll take at least a week for them to process.
    No idea why that would be; the only information required from you to tell if SSP is payable is the date that you were first sick and did no work and confirmation that your sickness lasts at least 4 days. Your employer should ask for this date when go off sick and will know your are still off 4 days later. From this the period over which they calculate your average is worked out and from that average you are either due SSP or not.
    Unfortunately there are many employers who are not really very knowledgeable about SSP so you will probably end up waiting for their decision I am afraid.
    If they do advise not entitled to SSP might be worth checking this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

727Posts Today

5,265Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin