Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 23 April 2019 at 3:33PM in Techie Stuff
How easy is WooComerce to use?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing is difficult if you spend time learning how to do stuff yourself. You'll be the one maintaining it adding and removing products and what not so you may as well be the one to get it going.

So for this you'd need a hosting package, quite a few of them provide the Wordpress software through their control panel so you don't even need to install it yourself, just click on a few buttons. Time: 5 minutes.

For WooCommerce itself, according to the documentation you just search for it as a plug in and install it through your own Wordpress site. Everythings documented here:
    https://docs.woocommerce.com

Setting up products is documented here:
    https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/managing-products/

While the initial two or three may take a while, after that you'll rocket through so it should not take you personally more than a couple of hours I would have thought.
  • jeandenham66
    Options
    If you're taking the ecommerce route i'd highly recommend Shopify, a friend of mine uses it and claims it's very easy to use vs other software.

What is it you're planning to sell if you do not mind me asking? :)
  • zanuda
    zanuda Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gabriel73195, if you still havn't paid for hosting, make sure they run proper php and MySQL version (wordpress.org have a list of requirements). Wordpress will run on older version of php but it sais somethig about hosting support... And some of the plugins might not run on on older versions of php or MySQL.

When you install wordpress (or have it done by hosting support), it will ru basic wordpress theme. After that you'll need to find theme you like. At the moment there are plenty of themes that are done for working with woocommerce. A lot of companies that make those theme have a free versions (you could get them from wordpress.org) and paid ones of the same themes tat offer more unctions and support. So, first play around with free themes, make sure they offer everithing you wanted. Because as soon as you set up and "adjust" the theme for yourself and put all the content, it might be a problem to switch to different theme.

And Shopify, looking from description, is not a software for your website. It's a website builder, when you use some sort of editor on Shopify website. So, you kind of do't own anything there. You could easily use e.bay for that.
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is definitely user friendly enough that you can do it yourself - but self hosted may cause you issues depending on your technical knowledge. For example, say a plugin update causes a problem and all your website goes down, you would be the one fixing it. You would also need to take regular backups of your website (most hosting companies will offer this, but I would never rely on those backups alone).

I would personally always use self hosted instead of a website builder, but the website builders definitely have their place.
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That depends on how bespoke you would like your website to be. You might want to have a look around theme websites such as themeforest to see if there is already a Woocommerce theme that you like (there are many themes available). Themes are normally around $50, and are quite simple to set-up, and Woocomerce in general is also quite basic with lots of availble documentation..
  • davidmichaels
    davidmichaels Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    If you are willing to go for ecommerce route you need to identify what exactly you want from ecommerce.

If you want to sell products but are confused which products to go for, i would recommend you to go for Jungle Scout. It helps you to analyze and find out the best selling products of amazon.

It can be used in multiple ways to find the best products, you can read the ways in jungle scout review, which would help you a lot in selling the most trending products.

One of my friend has been working through it and believe me he has never been more satisfied with his ecommerce business, I am not saying just Jungle Scout helped him in this, but it helped him a lot in planning and selecting for the products.

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport