Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 17,080Posts
    • 283,745Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 7:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 8:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Aims for 2019 - Savings up to 8000 - 4700/8000. Lose 50lb - 0/50
Page 27
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 15th Apr 19, 6:34 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Good for you unrecordings but make sure you don't overdo it. I hope all goes well for you today.

The forecast does look like we can crack on. I can finally get these dahlia tubs out of my hallway!

Have a lovely day everyone.
    Originally posted by baggins11
    Just a blood test & follow up from last round of chemo - box ticking in other words. The overdoing it comes later in the week when I'm visiting my favourite salvage yard to see what they have in terms of salt glazed sinks and grindstones (I'm from Sheffield, I need a grindstone in my garden..!)
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 15th Apr 19, 6:43 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    May I join in? My ambition is mostly to try to keep the toddler in soft fruit - he is a devil for raspberries in particular. We also have strawberry plants looking pretty good. I think we'll grow some toms because they are also good for small children to pick at. Otherwise I'm just plodding on gradually converting our garden to producing food of different sorts. Cleared a large bush from.the front yesterday and I think I will try to get a couple of currants to.go in its place.

The seed potatoes I found hanging around in a tub from last year are not getting a fair go as it turns out, because the toddler also likes to redistribute soil...
    Save12kin2018 #100
    • baggins11
    • By baggins11 15th Apr 19, 7:01 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    baggins11
    Welcome Viking! I look forward to hearing your progress. Keeping a toddler in soft fruit is an ambitious challenge.
    Last edited by baggins11; 15-04-2019 at 8:21 AM.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Apr 19, 8:19 AM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 19,102 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I didn't mean to offend anyone with my dandelion love.
    I often forget people live in areas unlike mine (urban) so dandelions are much welcome colour and aspect of nature to offset all the concrete.
    The chickens I keep love dandelion leaves, Hugh F-W tells me (I'm reading a River Cottage book) to eat them like salad leaves and I also dry the flowers in June time to infuse into oil which I use in lotions, calves and soaps that I make. So effectively they're a crop to me LOL

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 14\66
    March Grocery Challenge 250\46.77
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Apr 19, 8:23 AM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 19,102 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Tomatoes are definitely good pickings for young hands.
    Foraging blackberries is good too once you've worked out avoiding prickles.

The sun is here and the temp is already higher than its reached all week. HUZZAH!

I'm giving the plot today to dry out a bit, then will help there tomorrow. I had better write myself a list I think.....

• baggins11
    • By baggins11 15th Apr 19, 8:25 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    baggins11
    I am sure you didn't offend anyone CAFCGirl - it's really interesting to hear what you can do with dandelions. Nature is a marvellous thing.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Apr 19, 8:43 AM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 19,102 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Thankyou, I appreciate that.
    I just didn't want to read as one of those do gooder how dare you types whose all evangelical about the virtues of dandelions and make anyone feel judged LOL

• euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Apr 19, 8:48 AM
    • 10,157 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    euronorris
    We have the same thing with ivy. People are constantly tell me how good it is for wildlife and I am happy for it to grow in the woodland but I don't want it invading my garden area and flower beds.
    Originally posted by baggins11

Yes, my MIL has a similar issue with Ivy. Their back garden backs onto a public pathway behind, lined with trees and bushes and various plants. One of which is Ivy, and it comes through every little gap it finds. If we didn't control it, their whole garden would be Ivy alone. As she and her husband are no longer able to do some of the more manual stuff, DH and I hack it back a few times a year. It still covers the shed roof mind. It's very tall and we can't reach the top of it. I fear it'll just collapse one day.

I have a bigger problem with spiders tbh. I am so fearful of them, but am working hard to just let them be (mostly), and not show DD that I'm afraid (in the hope that she won't be).

And yes, we have lots of other flowers in our garden also. There is a white flower in bloom at the moment. I don't know what it is. We rent this place so a lot of stuff was already here (another reason why we have to keep the lawn in 'good repair' - it's part of the contract). From a quick search on google, I think it's a serviceberry?! Anyway, it's very pretty. There is a very pretty, very tiny, Asian bleeding heart growing in the corner. I think it may have snuck through under the fence from next door. Though DD loves it, and 'harvested' most of those flowers yesterday when we were busy doing other stuff. And there is another plant/tree (?) that grows quite tall, and has lots of lovely, long tall purple flowers on it. I can't remember it's name. It grows prolifically. I have to prune it regularly! lol It grows wild around here also. Toadflax maybe?

I'm a bit rubbish with my flower names knowledge. As you might have guessed! lol
    April Grocery challenge: 111.87/300
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    • 10,157 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    euronorris
    The seed potatoes I found hanging around in a tub from last year are not getting a fair go as it turns out, because the toddler also likes to redistribute soil...
    Originally posted by Viking_mfw

Haha. I can relate! Do you have a little play table you could put some play sand in? We found that kept DD, mostly, entertained yesterday with her bucket and spade. I saw Tesco were selling them at a cheap price! (and great for doubling up to line bottom of plant pots with for drainage if necessary).

ETA: Now I'm all caught up. I am not offended. We all have different goals for our gardens/plots/land.

It's lovely that you use the dandelions to make such goodies CAFCGirl. I didn't know you could!

And yes, blackberry foraging is brilliant with the toddler. I did it last year, sooooo much! I still have jars of jam in the cupboard, and coulis in the fridge from doing that. And we enjoyed more than a few blackberry and apple crumbles too! DD had only just turned 2 then. And she did pretty well avoiding 'ouchies' from the thorns. A couple did get her, but nothing too bad. And....she wasn't very good at actually collecting them. Most of her foraging went straight into her mouth, despite my best efforts to stop her (I wanted to wash them first). There are sooooo many wild blackberry plants around here, and I know where most of them are now. I also sourced out a few damson trees, a pear tree and a load of elderberry trees YUM!
    Last edited by euronorris; 15-04-2019 at 8:59 AM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Apr 19, 10:39 AM
    • 9,886 Posts
    • 12,736 Thanks
    -taff
    I have just made a total schoolboy error. I have mixed up my Costoluto and my French Black seedlings while potting on, and along with that is the reaslisation that what I marked as saved seed Brads Black Heart is in fact Black Trifele.
    I am so disappointed with myself.....Now I have to find some more BBH and start those off, let's hope they catch up....
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 15th Apr 19, 12:33 PM
    • 10,157 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    euronorris

I hope that works. Anyway, it's the garden 8 weeks ago (17th Feb) and today. Spring has most definitely sprung! The tree with the white flowers is past it's best for it's bloom period now, but still a few on there.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Apr 19, 3:06 PM
    • 9,886 Posts
    • 12,736 Thanks
    -taff
    Nice

And I have sown more toms, found some more BBH and sowed a few exta of others even though I have plenty just to see if they come up now it's warmer.
    Also sowed beetroot, two types , chard bright lights and Tuscan and Sutherland kale. Potted on a fuschia I got for a friend, potted on a couple of sweet peas, a surprise pop up, I thought they were past it.
    That'll do for today.
    Tomorrow, the flowers...and aubergine, need to make room in the lean to though, it's completely covered in plants now...
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 15th Apr 19, 4:42 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I tried dandelion leaves, far too bitter for me, but I did once pickle some buds just about to open (the best time aparently) - they're still in the jar unopened...

...Finally got my first four Ailsa Craig tomatoes in growpots embedded in gro bags - which makes up for the first part of the day going slightly pear shaped. Back out there tomorrow after the salvage yard (which won't be very MSE at all)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 19, 6:43 PM
    • 31,284 Posts
    • 184,112 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I didn't mean to offend anyone with my dandelion love.
    I often forget people live in areas unlike mine (urban) so dandelions are much welcome colour and aspect of nature to offset all the concrete.
    The chickens I keep love dandelion leaves, Hugh F-W tells me (I'm reading a River Cottage book) to eat them like salad leaves and I also dry the flowers in June time to infuse into oil which I use in lotions, calves and soaps that I make. So effectively they're a crop to me LOL
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    I love the whole dandelion thing, CAFCGirl, and since I'm so late to the party, I can see that no one's been offended.

I do recall Grey Queen, on one of the preparedness threads, mentioning that on her allotment she took a couple of sets of dandelion seeds and let them all take root at one edge of an allotment - between the roots, the buds, the flowers and the leaves, it was really well worthwhile for her, she got rid of them everywhere else. I like dandelions, but until I've finished getting rid of brambles (about half a dozen more sets of roots to go, though I'm in London this week) I can't focus on doing anything.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 19,102 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    From what I've read, it's the early young leaves in the centre that are best for eating.
    I'm yet to do it myself as I'm too busy fretting about an issue with the council, who think I (and a few others) haven't paid the bill and are sending out letters to a number of plot holders terminating them for non payment and demanding keys be returned to the council office of be subject to a further bill

• rufuschucklebutty
    • By rufuschucklebutty 15th Apr 19, 9:30 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    rufuschucklebutty
    I've been saving every root end off my onions used for cooking putting them in a tray of wet compost and in a few days they sprout again, in a week or two they are ready to separate , one end may give you two or three new plants, then plant them out into the garden, now I've got free onions growing everywhere.

These are Just plain old Aldi cheapest red onions, their white onions never sprout for some reason.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 16th Apr 19, 6:36 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I've been saving every root end off my onions used for cooking putting them in a tray of wet compost and in a few days they sprout again, in a week or two they are ready to separate , one end may give you two or three new plants, then plant them out into the garden, now I've got free onions growing everywhere.

These are Just plain old Aldi cheapest red onions, their white onions never sprout for some reason.
    Originally posted by rufuschucklebutty
    Interesting - I like your style. Mine tend to go to Mr Peelings (aka the compost bin). Do you grow them as perennials, as I hear you can do - but never really looked into it ?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 16th Apr 19, 7:15 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Well chemo got postponed as I failed the bloodtest - swings & roundabouts, so while I'd rather be aggressively kicking 'it' in the nuts, I do have the rest of the week clear to catch up in the garden. Jobs for today (assuming I don't tire myself out running round the salvage yard like Drew Pritchard on acid): Put remaining Ailsa Craig tomatoes in growpots in the greenhouse, re-pot an awful lot of seedlings, prune my lemon verbena, bring tender herbs out, finally make up a batch of compost for some alpines, start top dressing some of the dents & patches in the lawn, sow more chervil, courgettes, cornflower, salad...
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 16th Apr 19, 7:49 AM
    • 10,157 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    euronorris
    Sorry to hear that unrecordings. Take it easy and fingers crossed the next blood test is more positive and you can get on with kicking 'it' in the nuts!

Nothing more to report here. Very rainy day. Am looking forward to the weekend to get back out in the garden again

ETA: picked up several bags of 'soup mix' and 'casserole mix' veg bags for 20p in Lidl this morning as the date on them is today. They'll go in the freezer and do nicely on another day
    Last edited by euronorris; 16-04-2019 at 7:52 AM.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 17th Apr 19, 9:12 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Well I came in under budget at the salvage yard - got myself a good millstone with provenance (Loxley Valley, can pin its origin down to maybe two or three wheels) - and I got pretty much everything potted up that needed to be. Tomorrow is sowing a second batch of courgette (first failed to germinate), sow some more herbs, and maybe a further batch of tomatoes. Then dig a nice big salt glazed sink into the ground...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

662Posts Today

5,401Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin