What is the average electricity units per day?

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So 0.37kW (370W) is using about 9kWH a day when running for 24 hours-that's 20% of your usage accounted for., There is probably other electrical equipment associated with the pool as well which is adding to that, filtration etc.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The filtration and pump came as a kit from paraflow, the filtration doesnt work on electricity as its a sand filtation pump, the only electric is the pump pumping the water through the sand filter.

Its on 24 hrs a day as it isnt on a timer, i am not really sure what the best lenght of time would be to run it.
  • macman
    Options
    I'm not quite clear where your estimate of 50kWh per day comes from? Monitoring short term usage is not going to give an accurate picture, as with the pump off in winter, your average will be much lower on an annual basis.
    So unless your annual statement shows around 18,000kWH pa, I think it will be rather lower.
    The pump would 'only' use 3,241kWh if run all year round; but assuming a 4(?) month season it's a third of that. So it doesn't explain your suggested usage, if correct.
  • claire21
    edited 9 September 2012 at 1:48PM
    Options
    I can log on to BG and see both readings and estimates, below are the actual readings.

5/9/12. 73713
    25/5/12. 69030
    28/11/11. 59121
    25/8/11. 54794
    24/2/11. 43615
    28/5/10. 26647
    26/4/10. 24075
    25/9/09. 00000
  • macman
    edited 9 September 2012 at 2:11PM
    Options
    OK, so about 18,000kWh in the last year.
    Your first year usage is incredibly high, 24,000kWh in 7 months (which for most of I'm guessing the pump would be off, since it's Sept-April)!
    Your meter reading pattern is very 'thin', you really should be taking and submitting readings every 2 3 months. Some of your intervals are 6m or more, so it's impossible to judge seasonal variations.
    I'd be getting an electrician in as a priority given that you are apparently spending not far short of £2000pa on electricity alone. If that throws up nothing amiss, ask for a meter test.
    If this huge usages began with the meter change in 9/09, then I'd strongly suspect a meter fault, and don't understand why you've waited 3 years to query it.
    What were you using prior to that date?
  • claire21
    Options
    Prior to that date I had high readings too but on querying that they adjusted readings over the phone as far as I can remember and came and fitted a new meter, it was a whole mess before and thought it was sorted now and sort of excepted that is my useage until I saw what other people used. Anyway billing is a whole other issue, i was happily paying direct debit and all on top of things when they decided to do a bill that covered back as far as May 07 and seem to have messed up figures that I cant understand saying I owe £9633, so I need to phone and sort that out, billing is too complicated to get into covering such a long time period.

So what I started wondering about is I know I am not an average household but why was I using so much above the average yearly use, as I said we are power lazy, you can see that by the pump running 24 hours on the pool but even that doesnt really equate.

I think in that first period off billing on the new meter during winter I had some oil filled radiators running in another part of the house that is now not used.

Thanks so much for your help, I will spend some weeks making sure all lights are off, dishwasher only used when full, pool pump off now as kids back at school we will close it up, make kids turn off xbox, laptop when not using it etc. I am however still not convinced that will see a huge difference in the grand scheme of things though. I will see what the owl says when plugged to main box and husbands brother is an electrican so will have a word with him.
  • macman
    Options
    None of the things you have mentioned equate to 18,000 kWh or more per year. Your lifestyle might well double the average, not increase it by 550%. 50 kWh per day is the equivalent of a two-bar electric fire running 24 hours a day all year round. Nothing to do with switching off lights or the pool pump...
    Given a bill for £10K (how-that is five years usage?) and an ongoing usage of nearly £2Kpa, you need to get the whole system checked out as a priority, and resolve the billing issue. Something is very wrong.
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We average 12 units a day in the summer and 15 units a day in the winter. Electricity comes in at £50 a month by D/D. Heating is an oil fired combi boiler.
  • NeilMack
    NeilMack Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 October 2012 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Just to highlight the effect of insulating a house..

Our house is a 200 year old solid stone cottage in Perthshire (the northern frozen wastes..). It is a 3 bedroom / 3 public room building. We are off gas grid and use electricity for heat and water. In 2010 we discovered that the original roof timbers were beyond repair (rot and worm) and the ground floor had no subfloor (joists straight onto earth): the house had to be rebuilt. Don't get me started on surveyors. We subsequently opened up the house (no roof) and effectively built a timber framed house within the original (half metre thick) stone walls. We have increased insulation to beyond current building specs.

We originally had electric storage heaters. Those have gone and we are currently on an E7 tariff. We have underfloor heating pipes on the groundfloor which have not been commissioned yet (investigating an air pump). Currently we are space heating using 2 logburners & 2 2kw oil fin heaters while we decide how to power the underfloor pipes.

Our electric consumption is as below. We moved into the house in August 2005 and so the years run from August to August. 2009/10 & 2010/11 were exceptionally cold - snow cover from Nov / Dec through March with several weeks of -15C. The house is more comfortably heated now than it was with storage heaters - probably as the old house was so leaky that the storage heaters were practically useless - they would probably create too much heat now..

Year |Total Units | Units / Day
    2005/06 |18984 |52.4
    2006/07 |14492 |40.8
    2007/08 |17053 |47.0
    2008/09 |15205 |42.0
    2009/10 |15433 |42.9
    2010/11 |10057 |27.9 < House rebuild
    2011/12 |6733 |18.7
  • richard1959_2
    Options
    I think that I can beat everyone on amount of units used in a day.We are currently using 70 units per day on our pre paid electric meter.We have electric heating but only use one panel heater on low setting at 4 ?,we have switched our water heater of and use the washing machine only one a week,we use bottled gas to cook with and we just have the TV on for a couple of hours a day plus a laptop and a couple of 100 watt lights for my daughters pet lizard.British gas says there is something wrong with the house and our landlord says its British gas and so far this month I have put £250 into the meter ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure