Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,931
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Can you have both, simultaneously?
    Afraid not, only one account per customer. They are the same product only with different interest rates
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,221
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 April 2018 at 12:51PM
    Today is a good day to open a Lloyds Monthly saver, even if you already hold their Club Lloyds Monthly saver.

First payment must reach the a/c by the 25th by SO, so open one today and set 1st SO payment to reach the a/c for tomorrow.

Then after it has been paid, amend the SO to the 1st so you have £500 in the account on the 1st of May.

Final payment will be 1st of April 2019 because the account allows 13 payments.
  • SephirothX
    SephirothX Posts: 191
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    soulsaver wrote: »
    You can have the Santander RS at 3% without any 123 account.

To get 5% on the reg saver you must be part of the 123 world.

3% is poor for a regular saver as it's only about 1.5% on the amount after 12 months. I guess there's nothing to stop me opening a new 123 account after the switch... But maybe there's a better deal out there. Already got Club Lloyds but could do with a third regular saver account.
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,221
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    SephirothX wrote: »
    3% is poor for a regular saver as it's only about 1.5% on the amount after 12 months. I guess there's nothing to stop me opening a new 123 account after the switch... But maybe there's a better deal out there. Already got Club Lloyds but could do with a third regular saver account.

3% is not poor.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,973
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That simply is not correct. It is 3% on the amount that's in the account, from the day that the monies arrive there. You're not taking into account the fact that the whole of the total amount is not in the account from day one!
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,805
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 April 2018 at 6:06PM
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    That simply is not correct. It is 3% on the amount that's in the account, from the day that the monies arrive there. You're not taking into account the fact that the whole of the total amount is not in the account from day one!
    Speculator wrote: »
    3% is not poor.
    3% is poor for a regular saver as it's only about 1.5% on the amount after 12 months.

This comment has been going on and on. It normally comes from people who are new into this game. Thus they do not actually know how to take advantage of regular saving accounts in addition to other current/saving accounts they already have.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Half the rate,here 1.5% , is just the rate to do a rough calculation of how much interest you have earned at the end of 12 months,assuming no withdrawals, but the rate paid is almost 3% per annum ,but more accurately 1/365 of 3 % per day.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    This comment has been going on and on. It normally comes from people who are new into this game. Thus they do not actually know how to take advantage of regular saving accounts in addition to other current/saving accounts they already have.

What I am trying to do is open one regular saver per month, so in a year's time will have one account maturing each month. Therefore having the maximum amount of savings earning the maximum amount of interest, and it assists cash flow. Some months I will have two accounts opened, and maturing.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • MM2002
    MM2002 Posts: 157
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This Lloyd!!!8217;s regular saver, is it maximum 250 per month, starting at zero balance? Basically, what hsbc and others pay 5% interest on?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador
    What I am trying to do is open one regular saver per month, so in a year's time will have one account maturing each month. Therefore having the maximum amount of savings earning the maximum amount of interest, and it assists cash flow. Some months I will have two accounts opened, and maturing.

Try virgin they have launched lots over the last few years, I am on number 23, not including other accounts, Leeds x 2 and Santander, Lloyds/TSB/Halifax/BOS/Chorley/Kent/Buckinghamshire others I cant remember now.

I have at least two maturing till April 2019.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing