PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    OUT some butter some bacon some raspberries some peas and some fish cakes
    IN a portion of soup.
    used up. cauliflower and potatoes. had to throw away a broccoli found in bottom of fridge gone yellow :-(
  • Oh zafiro, that sounds scary!

We finished the cooking bacon from the freezer today in a bacon and butternut squash risotto. Nom.

DS feels poorly so he's off his food. Grandma died today so we'll have to travel up for the funeral (300 miles away). Given that i just bought new flooring and paid my car insurance I'm so grateful to this forum. I know i can get there and stay in a hotel and pay for meals out without worrying about the cost.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Frogletina wrote: »
    First two weeks of March

Foods in red I cannot eat yet as I am on a special diet.

Should be reintroducing excluded foods by the end of March. If not, it might be time to throw some of these foods away. I'd like to be able to have a clean sheet before too long and not just keep trying to use up the older foods.

Foods in the freezer past the bb date

[STRIKE]1 loaf of bread[/STRIKE]
    1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    Fry's vege beef style strips
    tagliatelli
    chopped ginger

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice
    [STRIKE]2 alpro desserts[/STRIKE]
    butter
    [STRIKE]cheese[/STRIKE]
    goats milk yoghourt
    [STRIKE]cheese sauce[/STRIKE]

In my cupboards

tarka dall
    stuffing mix
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    9 small boxes of raisins
    almonds
    almond flour
    millet
    marmite
    flax seeds

I've only spent £6.10 on food groceries so far this month. Would have been more but I've moved chocolate and fizzy drinks to a different budget in an effort to reduced them. The amount I have spent on them is more than my groceries. Shocking.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    In my quest to "use up", recently there has been a few food purchases. I visited the "Cash and Carry" shop that sells "bargain" fruit and vegetables. Reasons for more purchases? Mainly to collect animal feed and bicycle exercise but also me just wanting a "bargain"! (10p each lettuce/nearly 500gr edible, one mooli, and one red grapefruit). Also, ten big tomatoes (vine?) all for 20p). Consequently, I will be using up "stores" as much as possible with these items e.g. used some "old" rosemary spice with the boiled mooli, tomatoes on sandwiches (bread used from surplus)....

I have also begun to look through/declutter old recipe books. Am keeping just the recipes applicable to present food "stock" and any that may fit in with my current/expected long term diet.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Franalamadingdong Sorry to hear your news but you sound as if you've everything under control. I use 2 websites for hotels, Late deals or hotels.com, both usually have plenty of deals - cheaper than booking direct.

Out:-
    turkey thigh for tonight

In:-
    4 pork YS chops
    1 YS pork joint which I cut into two pieces and froze separately.

I'm trying to diet and do the same with DH, only he's not to know what I'm up to as he would object. I've already cut his chocolate consumption down to half saying I'd forgotten to get it when shopping. Who needs a 200gm bar everyday!!!! :)
  • Lol frogletina, sounds like me some weeks!

Thanks zafiro, without sounding horrible, she's been ready to go for a long while, so it's a blessing really. Dad had seen her last week and she was asleep most of the time and he knew then that it wasn't going to be long. I'm a bit scared about driving so far for the first time, so i might go with mum and dad, in which case we'll all stay in the same hotel.

Like the sly hubby slimming!

Making a lamb, veggie and chickpea curry for tea. DS isn't up for it, although feeling much better, so he's having yet more beans. Another tin of beans down, a tin of tomatoes (my last one!), One of my portions of lamb and my last tin of chickpeas! I will be freezing some of the cooked curry of course.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Franalamadingdong Sorry to hear your news but you sound as if you've everything under control. I use 2 websites for hotels, Late deals or hotels.com, both usually have plenty of deals - cheaper than booking direct.

Actually re hotels - if you first look them up on a bookings site and get the best price from there and then phone the hotel direct, you should be able to improve on that price because the Hotel will not have to pay a percentage to the booking site and they should be willing to split it with you (maybe 60-40 in their favour) - win-win :money:

You will need to speak to a Manager as a receptionist is unlikely to have that much discretion though
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In: 4 tins of beans, lasagne sheets
    Out: nothing
    Use up: LO potato bake, few mushrooms, baby plum toms and a pepper
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    In - nothing

Out - sweets, chocolate, tin of hot dogs, rolls, pack of cheese slices, rest of a cucumber, 2 apples that have seen better days, crisps.

Been a picky day!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Thanks for the tip Suffolk lass. I haven't got the funeral date yet, but i should find out in the next few days. DS is full of beans so went to school and i let the teacher know, she looked shocked when i said it was a blessing. Other than hospital, she hasn't left her home in at least 5 years. She's been wanting to go for a long time. I explained to DS that she'd be happy now and she can walk without hurting and doesn't need her special chair and she's with great grandad. He's accepted it and seems fine, which is a relief.

In stores news i took out of the freezer a pack of sausages that i put in a while back and forgot to portion, a loaf of bread and a 4 pint of milk. Topped up the tea caddy and so emptied a big box of teabags. Just one massive (240) box left in the cupboard.

I have some leftover​ rice in the fridge and I'll so a wee rice thing for lunch as i have the day off work.

Cupboard is looking so empty..... And i kinda like it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback