Anyone used Rointe heaters?

Options

Comments

• reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2013 at 12:45PM
    Options
    About to have an Orangery built off the dining room. Size is 18m2 with A rated glass but a 2400 mm opening (without doors) from the existing room. It has been recommended that 2 x 15 element Rointe units are used to heat the new room.

Having read the thread I'm worried about making a big mistake. Current heating system is oil fired and I'm not sure there is sufficient capacity to extend it.

Would one of the electric panel radiators with 24/7 timers mentioned in the thread be a better bet. I think I may need two 1.5kW units.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[text deleted by MSE Forum Team]

It occurs to me that you could test your present oil-fired system by seeing how hot it can make the house. My room stat. goes up to 30C- if your's does too then set it at 30 C and see what temp. you can attain. If you can get the house to, say, 25C or more then the system must have the power to cope with the Orangery. Do the test while it's still cold outside.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The Rointe heaters will produce just as much heat(but no more), for the same running cost, as any other electrical heater - from a £10 fan heater upwards.

How much are the Rointe heaters?
  • reeac
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    The Rointe heaters will produce just as much heat(but no more), for the same running cost, as any other electrical heater - from a £10 fan heater upwards.

How much are the Rointe heaters?

A quick Google found them for £574.77 each incl. VAT - that's a special offer at 11% off! The 15 element one is 640 watts and the OP was advised to get two of them.
  • Thanks for the reply.

I was quoted £1350 for a pair of them.

I will do the test using the thermostat and see what I get.

Would the other electric panel radiators like the Dynamic still be an option as well.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2013 at 11:30AM
    Options
    I know nothing about it, but if the conservatory has not been built yet have you looked at underfloor heating, go hypocaust!

FYI I use an inexpensive, to buy, wall mounted Delonghi convector in my conservatory.
    If I was looking for a more aesthetic solution I'd start here.
    http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/installed_heating/panel_heaters/index.ht
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2013 at 11:35AM
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I was quoted £1350 for a pair of them.

I will do the test using the thermostat and see what I get.

Would the other electric panel radiators like the Dynamic still be an option as well.

There's only a couple of things to consider. You need to know how much heating your new room needs, and you then need to see the cost of supplying that rate of heating.

1.28kW is a very low heating requirement, less than a starndard fan heater. That may (or may not) be able to maintain 20C when it's 0c outside - you'll have to feed your info into some online heat loss calculator to find out. But even if it does, if the room is at 0c and you want to heat it to 20C, then 1.28kW wouldn't be able to do it in a reasonable time.

Say your heating requirement for the room is 4kW (quite possible with a lot of windows) meaninf you could heat the room to comfortable from cold in 20/30 minutes for example.

Then you have to supply the 4kW by any combination of heaters which together add up to 4kW - forget any sales blurb about efficiency - they are all 100% efficient (except heatpumps, which give more heat than electricity consumed, and you could consider those, google airtoair heatpumps). You then have the choice of panel heaters, fan heaters, dyson flashy fan heaters, ronte panel heaters, oil filled heaters etc etc. Add up the cost for 4kW of heating - you'll probably find Ronte are several times the price of similar style panel heater. They'll all cost exactly the same while running (except for heatpumps, which should have running costs only 1/3rd of all the others).
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    A quick Google found them for £574.77 each incl. VAT - that's a special offer at 11% off! The 15 element one is 640 watts and the OP was advised to get two of them.

The OP thinks they need two 1.5kW heaters.
    I think I may need two 1.5kW units
  • reeac
    Options
    [QUOTE It has been recommended that 2 x 15 element Rointe units are used to heat the new room.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to what he was recommended to use. I agree that 2x 640 W. sounds inadequate and that 2x 1.5kW sounds better.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    About to have an Orangery built off the dining room. Size is 18m2 with A rated glass but a 2400 mm opening (without doors) from the existing room.

in which case you will be unable to claim the conservatory exemption from Building Regulations, and have to comply with full Building Regulations including Part L for thermal insulation and conservation of energy.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • gc_bus
    gc_bus Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Wall-mounted oil-filled radiators would be cheaper and give out as much heat as the Rointe heaters. I should know I used to have some of these Rointe heaters! They are ok from a running cost perspective and are well made but after they initially come on and heat up they then appear to modulate back considerably to "save" heating costs at which time the rooms then got pretty cold for the rest of the time. Wow £3500 is a hideous amount (further up the thread) and £1350 for just two is plain stupid IMHO - we paid about £3500 for a brand new central heating system with six radiators and new boiler and a new Myson MPRT chronostat - supplied; fitted; all electrical work and floorboards lifted/carpets lifted and re-laid and a five year warranty too!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback