Buying Euros before Brexit

Options
I travel to Disneyland Paris on Nov 7th. Should I be buying Euros sooner rather than later due to Brexit deadline? Im only looking for £200 worth. Normally we get via Thompson for our holidays and do a buy back guarentee, would that be recommended?

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The expected Brexit outcomes are already priced into the current exchange rate - so if things turn out better than the market expects the pound could get stronger after Brexit.

But if you want to guarantee the exchange rate, buy now.

Most people on this forum agree that for most countries exchanging cash is out of the ark (as well as being relatively expensive) and it's much better to get a card that doesn't charge for use abroad and use it to withdraw cash after you arrive, or to pay for things directly. If you really want cash, look at the travel money maximiser on this site to find the best rates.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Normally we get via Thompson for our holidays and do a buy back guarentee, would that be recommended?
    No, that's one of the worst possible choices. If you really want to exchange to euros in advance, forget cash and use Revolut. Otherwise keep your money in pounds until transaction at the best rates with a fee-free card such as Starling Bank or one of the 'travel' credit cards.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    No, that's one of the worst possible choices. If you really want to exchange to euros in advance, forget cash and use Revolut. Otherwise keep your money in pounds until transaction at the best rates with a fee-free card such as Starling Bank or one of the 'travel' credit cards.

believe it or not some people like using cash , what if you had a card and all the ATMS were out of action , or you lost the card
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Large amounts of cash are not normally covered by travel insurance

2 travel cards , one in the safe in the hotel, other in your pocket
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    108. When you first posted now today 114.....does that answer your question?
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Kernow666 wrote: »
    believe it or not some people like using cash , what if you had a card and all the ATMS were out of action , or you lost the card

Do you worr6 about that at home?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Kernow666 wrote: »

You cannot be serious
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm going holiday on the 6th November and when the exchange rate went up to 1.16 to the pound on xe.com I found a currency place exchanging at 1.15 to the pound (by pre-ordering online). I also got about the same amount.

I also have a Halifax Clarity Card, but will definitely need some cash before I arrive for the taxi from the airport. I always like carrying some cash on me on holiday. Cards are useful for restaurants, but when shopping smaller shops they might not accept them. I also don't trust some foreign ATMs, they've charged me in pounds, even when I chose the 'charge in local currency' option! (I got a refund thankfully - it was a currency card that already had dollars on...).

Disney will accept cards everywhere though, but i guess for tips and small purchases you might want cash
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I'm going holiday on the 6th November and when the exchange rate went up to 1.16 to the pound on xe.com I found a currency place exchanging at 1.15 to the pound (by pre-ordering online). I also got about the same amount.
    How did you get the cash? Sent in the post, or travel out of your way to some obscure shop? Have you seen this thread
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6061561
    I also have a Halifax Clarity Card, but will definitely need some cash before I arrive for the taxi from the airport. I always like carrying some cash on me on holiday.
    Airport with no ATMs, and where taxis don't take credit cards?
    Cards are useful for restaurants, but when shopping smaller shops they might not accept them. I also don't trust some foreign ATMs, they've charged me in pounds, even when I chose the 'charge in local currency' option! (I got a refund thankfully - it was a currency card that already had dollars on...).
    Never happened to me, I did get a receipt once saying GBP but the transaction came through in local currency. Much more likely to get DCC imposed when paying for stuff, where there's a shop assistant/waiter/hotel receptionist pressing the buttons, than an ATM where you are.

But even if the worst happens it'll cost far far less than what happened to the OP in the thread I linked above. Getting cash sent in the post, and carrying loads of cash around especially through airport security where you are physically separated from it is far more risky than an unclear/dodgy ATM.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    ......... carrying loads of cash around especially through airport security where you are physically separated from it is far more risky than an unclear/dodgy ATM.

Can you explain how that happens to you, as it's *never* happened to me.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure