Help for Hearing Impairment

Options

Comments

• allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure I can get my batteries from NHS/Doctors as my hearing aids are through a private company (even though Access to Work paid for them) - I'll have to check it out!

If you have private hearing aids you are not entitled to free NHS batteries. However, there is a loophole, you are still entitled to free NHS aids which comes with free batteries. Some folk I know get NHS aids so they can get free batteries...which happen to be the same size as their private aids. But you may not feel comfortable with doing that.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • altocumulus
    Options
    I've just found this thread - interesting reading! I'd be interested to know what a CIC hearing aid is, is it something to do with a cochlear implant?

I was born with a moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears. I didn't get hearing aids until I was 5 years old :eek: I got digital hearing aids four years ago that changed my life - I've heard sounds I've never heard before, like twigs snapping, leafs rustling, water splashing, birds singing... all a bit overwhelming, but fantastic :D

Anyway, I've a question of my own. How do you get the free bus pass? I've got the railcard which has been brilliant - once you have applied the annual updates are automatic, what I mean is you don't have to re-apply every year as they expect that once you're deaf you're not going to regain hearing again.

If I can help anyone else I'll try to respond. Thanks to the original poster to this thread. Thanks too for the BSL links.

Hiphouse

CIC : Completely In the Canal....(ear)
    [ great if you use a telephone, very rarely should you get feedback ]...
  • allydowd
    Options
    How do you get the free bus pass?

Free National Travel Pass bus pass providers:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Over50s/TravelAndLeisure/TravellingAtHomeAndAbroad/DG_10026845

To be eligible on disability grounds you must fall into one of these groups:
    *are blind or partially sighted
    *are profoundly or severely deaf
    *are without speech
    *have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
    *do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
    *have a learning disability,
    or
    *would, if you applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have your application refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol. (This means you can get one if you have many types of epilepsy.)
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • altocumulus
    Options
    allydowd wrote: »
    Free National Travel Pass bus pass providers:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Over50s/TravelAndLeisure/TravellingAtHomeAndAbroad/DG_10026845

To be eligible on disability grounds you must fall into one of these groups:
    *are blind or partially sighted
    *are profoundly or severely deaf
    *are without speech
    *have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
    *do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
    *have a learning disability,
    or
    *would, if you applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have your application refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol. (This means you can get one if you have many types of epilepsy.)

The definition in Scotland, if memory serves me correctly from the application form, is a bilateral loss > 82db.....
  • ATMLADY
    Options
    Hello i m deaf since 1973 and if you need hearing aid or equipement to make your life easier for example door bell, phone etc you can ask for deaf social service or british deaf assocation, RNID or your local deaf assocation/ deaf club etc they will help you out for free of charge.

I find portable doorbell flashing light are useful which you can take it to your back garden during the summer.

Pager for fire alarm, baby montior, door bell, phone ring all in single vibrate pager.

Alarm clock portable are good and some moblie phone have in built vibrate alarm clock its very good.

Minicom (textphone) and typetalk, fax, email, text message in moblie phone, video call and webcam are brilliant for deaf/hard of hearing people.

Benefit right to claim for be deaf or hearing impaired, hard of hearing can claim MIDDLE RATE DLA (due to safety risk unable to hear fire when asleep and unable to hear clear when something happen behind you (car, police car or bike shout you to move)

Incapitiy benift because of your hearing problem its harder to get job quicker unlike normal people due to phone or limit skills etc.

tax credit

Free bus pass for any disabled that inc deaf.

Free cinema pass apply from website.

Discount price for any attraction (theme park, musemum and cinema)

Warm home front

Dering empolyment advisor run by all team of deaf people to help deaf people to find a job .

Talk to any other deaf people, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, social service etc they will give you useful information.

My life is alots easier now than i was when i was a teenager in the 1980's before email and moblie phone came along i had use that old fashion letter and arrange in a week, there was no DLA etc back then.

Hope that help.:j
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MIDDLE RATE!!!

WHAT!! I cant belive it! did you have to appeal?

I am profoundly deaf and only get lower rate components :-(
  • flossy_splodge
    Options
    A quick update.... Unbelievably, my fathers hearing aid has dried out and is now working again!!! So anyone else who has such a mishap, be patient!
    New phone from RNID is also good except he needs one that picks up the call when you pick up the handset - they refer to this as automatic answering. Well, thay have just got in stock a new phone that can not only do this but can be set to a users own particular hearing loss ie if your loss is at the lower end you can set it to address this problem. It's arriving tomorrow so will let you all know if it does the trick but I tell you the anticipated delight of being able to pick up the phone and actually be heard at the other end and not have to do a 20 mile round trip each day to check on him as he reckons not tobe able to hear me on the phone will be audiological heaven.:rotfl: Keep your fingers crossed.!
  • altocumulus
    Options
    ATMLADY wrote: »
    Benefit right to claim for be deaf or hearing impaired, hard of hearing can claim MIDDLE RATE DLA (due to safety risk unable to hear fire when asleep and unable to hear clear when something happen behind you (car, police car or bike shout you to move)

Incapitiy benift because of your hearing problem its harder to get job quicker unlike normal people due to phone or limit skills etc.

tax credit

Huh ?
    Means tested ?

Sorry, not my interpretation of the regs, so please point me in the right direction.....for the middle rate DLA.....
    I'm not likely to work again, so the issue of a job doesn't apply seeing I was ill-health retired 'cause my employer took too long to assist_though the rate of retirement I was given assumed I would get another job...as if.......
  • allydowd
    Options
    Huh ?
    please point me in the right direction.....for the middle rate DLA.....

If you believe you qualify for middle rate care you should read these pages for specific details:

RNID DLA factsheet

Deafsign Factsheet

• altocumulus
    Options
    I sure am glad they define what is meant by 'bodily functions' - I must say I had a different thought when I started reading some of the criteria.

Thanks Ally - that's useful and slightly better info than is mentioned by Thanatos, here ... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=15440061&postcount=66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure