BT complaints

Comments

• Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I did the same on Friday afternoon and got an email and follow-up phone call back within the hour from a lady (in UK.) in the Executive Complaints Management Team. It is to be hoped we are now working towards a resolution.
    Certainly approaches this way seem to taken seriously, butI agree with previous posters in that , I can see BT blocking this way through soon.
    God only knows what you've got to do to get to these people, when following BT standard complaints procedures.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have looked for this thread to write a complaint about the service from BT but have just spoken to the most helpful and knowledgable staff member EVER! That after 3 days dealing with the customer service team who were politely unhelpful.

My direct debit was suddendly increased by £7.00 without me being told or it being authorised. BT offered to put a £10.00 refund onto my BT account - as I only use the phone within the calling plan limits (evening and weekend) I have no use of any 'free' calls. Eventually, in frustration, I had to use the direct debit guarantee system to get a full refund (which came from LloydsTSB within 12 hours) and have now re-paid the original amount of my direct debit. Today I discovered that I had, in fact, a credit balance on my account. The lovely Irish chap explained things to be very clearly and has now arranged for the credit to be repaid to my bank account. :T

So it's one round of 'I hate BT customer service' and another of 'I love BT customer service'. Somehow the lovely chap has left me all glowing and happy.

The customer service team in India are very polite but obviously have to follow a script and are very limited in their authority to actually do anything. Seems the only way forward it to escalate the process.
  • JillyT
    JillyT Posts: 34
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I rang BT asking to return to them from talk Talk. I was assured this would be no problem and it would be a "seamless" transfer.

However to cut a long story short, on the 2nd day I was given a temp number (which no-one told me about) and then all incoming and outgoing calls were stopped, I just had a dial tone. I couldn't even ring BT fault line!

After getting no-where with the call centres who said it would take 11 days to restore?? I emailed Ian Livingstone after reading these posts. Within 1 hr he responded saying someone form the high level service team would be in touch. A couple of hours later Jason, the assistant to the Chairman and Chief Exec rang me to assure me my problem would be resolved asap and he assured me he would be in touch to update me with any progress. This was last Friday afternoon. He rang me twice Friday evening and assured me an engineer would call me as soon as the line was restored.

On Saturday morning at 8.45am the engineer duly called and our line was working!! No having to wait 11 days that the supervisor had advised! :T
  • Elcee
    Elcee Posts: 7 Forumite
    I left BT for another company a couple of months ago but decided to go back to BT, bad idea, 6 weeks later and phone call after phone call to BT the one today lasting 5 hours from a neighbour's phone, I am no further forward, was cut off many times after holding on for 25 mins and being to India about 6 times also Glasgow, and numerous other places, the outcome is instead of being transferred back I have ended up being cut off by one company and BT seem to not be able to reconnect me. The number I have had for 30 years they say someone else has (though I have still my broadband through that number, and it is still working........so far anyway!!! ) and I have dialing tone but am unable to call out or receive calls and on top of that they want to charge me £122 to reconnect and get a new number.
    I am an OAP and at my wits end trying to sort this mess out.:mad:
  • Elcee
    On reading through the posts I got the email no for the CEO Ian Livingston, I sent an email outlining what had happened at 11pm last night, the email was read at 05.43 and a reply 45 mins later saying that he would get one of the senior service team to investigate. More achieved in the one email than hours and hours of speaking to BT call centres.
    :j
  • Elcee
    Well the email to Ian Livinggston did the trick, they phoned me and sorted it out, I am now connected with my original number and no connection charge, must say they really did their job and kept me informed of what was happening,no more call centres and being passed from person to person.
    :T
  • Just wanted to say a big thank you for this thread. I too received a prompt reply from the man himself. Whether or not the problem will be resolved by his high-level complaints team remains to be seen but it's nice to actually get acknowledged and, shock horror, get an apology for a large scale f-up.Thanks again.
  • Incredibly swift response after I e-mailed Ian Livingstone! E-mail was answered (apparently by him) within hours of sending it on Friday evening, a phone call from one his team on Saturday morning, settlement agreed and cheque arrived on Wednesday!!!

This was after weeks of the usual nonsense - I wonder how much longer BT will accept e-mails to the CEO, but it shows that they really can get it right when they want to.

My only advice when following this route is to write well, be polite and above all be reasonable!!
  • Paragon
    Paragon Posts: 70
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Like many I'm tearing my hair out over BT. They sent me a bill for £167 just before I changed my broadband contract with them so the bill should have been less than £100. But they said they could not reissue a bill once it had been issued and that my only option was to pay in full and get a credit put on my account. Great! So in these tight times I am effectively loaning BT money at zero% return rate.

Then to really top it all, having begrudgingly settled this monstrous bill in full, they accidently direct debited £60 from my account. On calling up, some operators said it would be returned immediately while others could find no record of the transaction and said I had to follow it up with my bank... who of course directed me back to BT.

I emailed Ian yesterday but missed a the prompt return call. I just want my money back in my account - I dont want credit on my BT bill.

I'll keep you posted.

PS. Anyone know much about the Direct Debit Guarantee? Could that help?
    Debt: September 28th 2009 £0!!!!! Finally!
    [strike]March 30th 2008 £5,350[/strike]
    [strike]September 29th 2008 £7,800[/strike]
    [strike]January 1st 2007 £21,000[/strike] (Max debt)
    Original DFD target was end Aug 2009
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Under the Direct Debit guarantee, if you tell your bank that a direct debit was wrongly taken, your bank has to reverse it, at once, with no questions asked. Some bank employees don't know, or pretend not to know, this.

Whether it was in fact wrongly taken is a matter between you and the taker (in this case BT) and is nothing to do with your bank. So if BT were, hypothetically, right to take the £60 (as, from what you say, appears not to be the case), BT could demand from you any penalties for missing a payment that may be stipulated in your contract's terms and conditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure